Russia NT 2021

• I understand that players who were not invited by Busato earlier this year resused to play. And the teams obviously want their players preparing for the club season instead of having them back tired and maybe even injured just before the season. If Russia had a team with a chance to win the situation might have been different...

It seems to me that Busato is better at destroying players confindence than building it. Kapustina had a good club season (her reception was never above average though) and now looks to be afraid to come on court. Even in attack she seems to afraid to make a mistake (only Goncharova made more points then her last club season)!

Exactly. I totally and literally agree with your post. It sometimes can be difficult to explain this to people who don't watch the Russian League and don't know the capabilities of the players. Unfortunately, not only Kapustina but other players are also playing under their usual level. Voronkova was a commentator today and she praised Pipunyrova during the game. Voronkova said that if the coaches work on her skills and Pipunyrova is as strong as Fedorovtseva. Voronkova said it was very very difficult to block Pipunyrova's attacks during training process. Voronkova said she could play in ECH but she didn't want for some reasons ( you explained it in your post above).

As for Kapustina, even Karpol had praised her (he usually doesn't praise the players no matter how good the player is) and wanted to see her in his team. She even had offers from D.Moscow.

• Surprisingly, Pipunyrova played well during the Governor's Cup - high attack percentage (17/26, 65% with 1 error, compared to 12 mistakes of Goncharova and 43%) and decent reception. Imagine next year, Russia has so many potential OH players - Voronkova, Federov, Smirnova, Pipunyrova, then we have Ilchenko. Hopefully, Kapustina gains more maturity and experience. I really hope whoever will be the coach, he will focus on the reception of the team.

• I would also add Simonenko (good reception and defense, but she still has to work in the attack.). I hope Kotikova (who will play in Krasnodar this season) to show her best face! Yes, Lavarini is the best Russia can count on, but reading the Russian press, Busato is likely to stay at the helm.:down:

• Unfortunately I don't think we will see much of Pipunyrova this season. Foreigners (Vasileva, Begic) should be the starting OH and even if one of them is not playing she has to compete with Simonenko and Krotkova (both better in reception). I just don't understand why a young player would ever consider moving to Dinamo Moscow...

• Startseva asked how and with whom she has to play during timeout and Busato said Belarus is a weak opponent. Startseva after that tried to ask it second time and Busato said the same thing Belarus is a weak opponent and you have to win it. After that, Startseva didn't ask it again and she tried to play how she could and ignore him. Gracheva said with a sad tone that we are leading against Belarus thanks to individual skills of our players. She literally said that the individual skills of the players saved us against Belarus today.

• You guys should get Lavarini I'm pretty sure he is leaving Korea and would be the perfect coach. Then Russia would be back to her glory days with the potential they have.

Lavarini would work wonders with this team and I personally would love to see it although I have a feeling the Russian volleyball federation is not too keen on hiring a foreign coach who can't speak russian. It's a shame, though. A good coach is what's been missing for Russia for the longest time.

• Startseva asked how and with whom she has to play during timeout and Busato said Belarus is a weak opponent. Startseva after that tried to ask it second time and Busato said the same thing Belarus is a weak opponent and you have to win it. After that, Startseva didn't ask it again and she tried to play how she could and ignore him. Gracheva said with a sad tone that we are leading against Belarus thanks to individual skills of our players. She literally said that the individual skills of the players saved us against Belarus today.

Belarus actually has some quality players and great team spirit. He is very disrespectful and I understand the girls cannot take him serious. But then I don't understand the mixed messages where the players were happy with him that caused him to become head coach in the first place.

• Busato will probably keep his post until WCH next year even if Russia gets eliminated tomorrow. To be honest, he is quite lucky Russia probably has the best OH options in recent years and of course Arina. He still has another chance the with the vets, hopefully Parubets can finally join the NT next year.

PS. I think the main reason the players mostly "like him", is because they can get away with him and not because he is a really great coach/strategist. Case in point: Fetisova and Goncharova skipingp ECH and playing in Governorn's Cup :gone:

• I don't know how in other countries but in Russia players can't choose the coach because they don't have such a right. This is a very similar situation, they told us Romava was injured but the reality was different, she wasn't selected. Busato said they gave the players a rest but yesterday even Godina said that the players refused to play in the Ech. Why would they refuse the coach's invitation if they chose him.

after the game against Belarus, they asked Kadochkina why the team had such a difficult time against Belarus and did they even analyze the game of opponent. Kadochkina said that was a very difficult question and smiled. After that she said we are trying. But she didn't answer the original question and original question was like this, did they analyze the game of opponent before the match.

I definitely agree with inc0gnito on this, he has good players around and they are saving his life at crucial moments. Gracheva and Godina said ech was the third tournament for Arina and they both were not in favor of a 17 yo player being overused like this.

• Busato's calm, laid back, and gentle demeanor is the exact opposite to Karpol's tough and harsh approach. Karpol is Russia's greatest coach and under his guidance, Russia was a volleyball powerhouse and hasn't missed a semifinal at the olympics (Still amazed how he made a strong team out of Russia in 2004 and took them to the finals). Effective as his methods were, I can imagine that it must be a terrifying experience for players to play for a coach like him. Correct if I'm wrong but a number of players quit NT with him as coach (Vassilevskaia, Belikova, and Godina to name a few).

Also can't forget this Karpol "coaching" Morozova: :lol::white:;(

And also this Sokolova and Karpol moment :lol::white:;(

• I think all top names had issues with him in the past at some point that resulted with their absence. Some made a come back some didn’t. Vasilevskaia quit volleyball for good, not just NT If I recall correct. Garacheva also quit but not sure if it was related to Karpol or her love affair.

I can’t deny his success (duh) though his style is inhuman and I wouldn’t work well under such coach. I also understand circumstanses at those days and today are different yet I am sure shouting out to another human’s face contstantly was still unacceptable at those days.

• I think all top names had issues with him in the past at some point that resulted with their absence. Some made a come back some didn’t. Vasilevskaia quit volleyball for good, not just NT If I recall correct. Garacheva also quit but not sure if it was related to Karpol or her love affair.

I can’t deny his success (duh) though his style is inhuman and I wouldn’t work well under such coach. I also understand circumstanses at those days and today are different yet I am sure shouting out to another human’s face contstantly was still unacceptable at those days.

I would probably have a mental breakdown and a heart attack if I were one of the players. I'd quit NT too. :lol:

• In sports where Russians dominate the coaches are still harsh/direct when I think of Eteri Tutberidze in figure skating or Irina Viner in rhytmic gymnastics. You don't tell them you will skip the European championship because it will be end of your career.

• Two extreme examples were used for argument: either Buzato or Karpol - Karpol is a monster while Buzato is an angel - don't we have someone in between? After today's rout, I truly believe Buzato needs to go.

When Russia had a couple good games against US and China, the Federation and some Buzato fans jumped up and down for this "genius angel", Ok that's fine. Now Russia got such a humiliation of 8:25, it was because of player's fault?

Come on, people got to be reasonable and intelligent enough to tell the root disease of today's disaster is the coach, although I don't think Russia even has a coach actually, if someone cannot do timeout right, cannot challenge right, cannot even do a meaningful substitute, is he a coach???