Korean NT 2021

• Since it is already 2021, let's create a new thread for the Korean National Team.

As a reference, this was the Korean roster the last time they played in the AVC Tokyo Volleyball Qualification.

OH: Kim Yeon-koung, Lee Jae-yeong, Kang So-hwi, Pyo Seung-ju

MB: Yang Hyo-jin, Kim Su-ji, Han Song-yi, Lee Ju-ah

OP: Kim Hee-jin, Park Jeong-ah

S: Lee Da-yeong, Yeum Hye-seon

L: Kim Hae-ran, Oh Ji-young

*It should be noted that outside hitter Lee So-young was injured at the time and would have probably made the team instead of Pyo Seung-ju. Libero Kim Hae-ran, the main libero for Korea during the last decade just gave birth to her first child and will likely be unable to participate in this year's competitions.

Their last game against Thailand in the finals for the Tokyo Olympics Qualifications.

• "The Volleyball Nations League (VNL) 2021 will be held with a secure bubble concept to ensure the health of all athletes and stakeholders involved and preserve the original format of the flagship annual event.

The bubble concept will protect the health of all participants by accommodating all 16 teams per gender in one country in a safe environment with frequent COVID-19 testing, significantly minimising the risk of virus transmission. The matches in a round robin format and the finals will be hosted in one venue, preserving the original format of the VNL with the same number of matches per gender."

https://www.volleyball.world/e…ved-for-vnl-2021?id=92108

• I can't find much information about this, but a Korean player was found lying on the ground in her dorm room was taken to the emergency room. Media reported that it was a possible suicide, but the club stated the player fainted due to abdominal pain. People are speculating that the player is Korean NT setter Lee Dayeong who has become the topic of online bullying recently. She has since returned home and is in stable condition. There seems to be some drama between her and KYK.

Edit: Just got up to date with the information in the Korean League thread. If it is true of what happened to Lee Dayeong then the federation needs to take action and not push it aside like with what they did with Go Yoomin. Mental health is serious and needs to be a priority when it comes to players dealing with stress/bullying from other players, coaches, clubs, fans, etc.

• I can't find much information about this, but a Korean player was found lying on the ground in her dorm room was taken to the emergency room. Media reported that it was a possible suicide, but the club stated the player fainted due to abdominal pain. People are speculating that the player is Korean NT setter Lee Dayeong who has become the topic of online bullying recently. She has since returned home and is in stable condition. There seems to be some drama between her and KYK.

Edit: Just got up to date with the information in the Korean League thread. If it is true of what happened to Lee Dayeong then the federation needs to take action and not push it aside like with what they did with Go Yoomin. Mental health is serious and needs to be a priority when it comes to players dealing with stress/bullying from other players, coaches, clubs, fans, etc.

Yes this was already mentioned in the V-League Thread, everybody over there is aware of it

• Yes this was already mentioned in the V-League Thread, everybody over there is aware of it

Hope LDY is doing well and gets the help she needs. :heart:

It might be best to get her out of her club and get her mind off volleyball until she's ready so that way she can focus on herself and recovery.

• Korea is canceling the twins. What a total mess. I feel so sorry for KYK because the chances that she'll fulfill her dream to get an Olympic medal aren't that high but with the absence of LDY and LJY it's even more unlikely that they get one.

However no decisions have been made yet and we'll have to wait to see what happens next. Knowing the Korean cancel culture, it doesn't look good for the twins

Given Korea's history with mental health issues and how they've failed to treat it seriously in I don't even know how many occasions now, they'll most likely just sweep it all under the rug until someone actually commits suicide. I'm following all of this from a distance, but I hope for the best for all parties involved.

• Can someone summarize what this drama around twins is?:teach:

• No Lee twins for NT...

There are replacements for LJY.. Park JA, KAng SH, Lee SY can be paired with KYK...

Though Park JA usually placed as Kim Hee Jin subtitute by Lavarini... Maybe Pyo SJ is called for height "contribution"...

For setter An Hye Jin, Lee Go Un and Cho SH can be put on rotation.. Yeum HS is currently injured, don't know if she will join for VNL or straight to OG...

For MBs I think it's still the usual suspects: Yang HJ, Kim SJ, n Han SY.. I hope Lee Da Hyun will be called, instead of Lee Ju Ah...

• I think it was mentioned in 2019 that Tokyo will be her last OG.. Though that didn't mean she retire from NT, but it can be considered implied......

• Kim SJ and Han Song Yi are in the same age with KYK... They might be want to follow suit, considering there are juniors that are good and can fill in their position as MBs...

Yang HJ might be held by coaches or the FA... She's a couple younger than KYK, that can be "transition" captain for the next gen...The same thing to Kim HJ and Park Jeong Ah, as they are the same age bracket with Yang HJ... I think they can still play in OG 2024...

• I thought YHJ is just a year younger than KYK. Park JA is below 30 now so she can play few more years if she maintain her condition. KHJ as MB in Kleague is not effective as compared to when she play as opposite in NT. I hope lavarini will include her in NT this time.

• ikr.. KYK retiring from NT ;( I think Kim Suji & Yang Hyojin are going to follow too (they mentioned it in some videos i saw)

Kim Heejin, didnt perform well in the recent ended vleague season. imo, she shines much more as a OP in NT, and i think she'll continue playing till the next OG (she mentioned it in the spike interview). Would be great to see her do what she did in 2019.

Park Jongah is a interesting one. She's continuing im sure, since she's still a few years younger than the seniors, but... will she be OH or still be a sub for Heejin at OP? i've watched some 2019 int'l games (there isnt any games in 2020), she either gets blocked or her balls are easily dugged by the European counterparts. hmmm... really aint sure how effective she can be on court (i didnt go see her stats though). I got frustrated watching her play....

Would love to see how Lee Soyoung perform in NT as OH! Actually Kang Sohwi too.. But these 2, usually get blocked by the taller players in int'l games.

Lee Juah put up some impressive performance during post season matches! I would bring her to the VNL.