Korean NT 2021

• I swear SK was robbed of at least two points by the challenge system. When they switched from a touch-out challenge to a net-touch challenge for Park Jeong Ah's point, my fist nearly flew through my screen 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

sorry to say but that's not what had happened

Lavarini asked for a net-touch challenge, but the ref mistook it as a touch-out challenge and viewed the touch-out footage instead (it wasn't touched out)
    The players then immediately informed the ref mid-way that they were requesting for a net-touch footage, not a touch-out, and the ref switched the footage to what was originally requested - net-touch (it also wasn't touched)

no issues in challenge system against Dominican, though I'd say there were 1-2 in their match against China that should've been in Korean's favour instead

though, wouldn't have made a difference to the final result imo

• sorry to say but that's not what had happened

Lavarini asked for a net-touch challenge, but the ref mistook it as a touch-out challenge and viewed the touch-out footage instead (it wasn't touched out)
    The players then immediately informed the ref mid-way that they were requesting for a net-touch footage, not a touch-out, and the ref switched the footage to what was originally requested - net-touch (it also wasn't touched)

no issues in challenge system against Dominican, though I'd say there were 1-2 in their match against China that should've been in Korean's favour instead

though, wouldn't have made a difference to the final result imo

Yes it was a bad call by Lavarini, given that Jeong Ah clearly signalled for a touch out challenge. If you watch the replay (set 3 with the score at 4-2), I do think the ball slightly grazed the blocker's index finger although its very hard to see... or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.

• This current Korean team is a far-cry from what they used to be in 2018/19, which is such a pity for Lavarini who had built up such a great system.

With only 2 months left before their first Olympic match (1 month in VNL, 2 weeks in quarantine before Japan if they head there straight after), their only hope will be if Kim Heejin (surgery late May), Kim Suji and Im Myung Ok libero (unspecified injuries from season) can join the team in time for the Olympics.

But they will only have days to practice with the new setters, and may not be in their peak condition - even if they do return in time.

Sohwi and the twins are out of the Olympics lineup for sure, and Kim Haeran is highly unlikely considering her first practice after childbirth was only in late May.

Assuming no upset takes place, Korea will have to beat at least Kenya & Dominican Republic in their pool to advance to the Top 16.
    (likely losing to Japan, Brazil & Serbia)

At this rate and looking at the current team's power & coordination, doesn't seem likely they'd stand a chance against Dominican too, seeing how they lost against Dominican Republic. (note: only 2 months before Olympics, how much magic can Lavarini cast on such a team?)

Edit: Switched Serbia and Dominican Republic above, did a brain fart here - thanks to LDVolley

• On that note, it's still interesting to watch & find gems amongst newer players on the international stage.

Feeling pretty hopeful for the future Korean team seeing Soyoung grow into a main spiker who is still learning to lead the team (in attacks), and Dahyun's first international stage.

Dahyun's composure is amazing, she never plays like rookie even during her first year of professional v-league after being drafted haha.

(wonder if this is a common thing for players with ex-vball national team parents? even the twins played with so much composure during their first international stage when they were just 18y/os in the 2014 AVCs - they did mention their mum helping them with mental aspect of playing on an international stage)

Despite Lavarini's comment that she's a bit short for a center on the international stage - which is true, at least he acknowledges her good blocking timing.
    Still wishing he had played her against Japan since they were a shorter team haha, she could've definitely gotten a few good blocks from that match compared to Songyi

• They need to strengthen their defense. They can win at least 1 set yesterday but somehow couldn't sustain their lead. Pyo Seungju haihh I lose count how many times she got blocked!

Anyway, what happen to An Hyejin? And Lee Soyoung also get subbed in the middle of the match?

• MB is a more difficult job. You constantly need to jump as a blocker and as a decoy.

Not really, MB gets subbed out by libero frequently when in back row and does not need to play full time

They generally aren't sent the ball as often as OH/OPP who tank majority of the attacks & has to back attack (they jump for blocks in front row and dig in back row too)

She switched to MB because of a coach's suggestion (which was partially due to her age and height)

She was less effective as an OH and more as a MB, which worked in her favour seeing how she got #1 in blocks this past season and won Best 7

• They need to strengthen their defense. They can win at least 1 set yesterday but somehow couldn't sustain their lead. Pyo Seungju haihh I lose count how many times she got blocked!

Anyway, what happen to An Hyejin? And Lee Soyoung also get subbed in the middle of the match

?

Hyejin (#7) wasn't in their squad list, and she didn't run out together with the rest of the team for the Dominican match

She was present at the match in a jacket & black shirt though
    Read from Korean comments that the Korean commentators said during the broadcast that she had pain in her knees (not sure how true, but I guess should be why), wasn't in the news though
    But she only played partially during Thai match so far, so its likely from the v-league season before this.

Feels like she's just not fated for NT, the last time she was part of the team for Olympic Qualifications 2019, she got hyperventilation symptoms and was sent back to Korea (think it was said to be due to the long flight travel? I thought maybe anxiety but idk)

Soyoung did okay during the 1st set, but her performance wasn't good in 2nd set (only scored 3 pts overall and made some mistakes too), probably just subbed out

Thinking of all the amazing digs Kim Haeran, Kim Heejin, Lee Jaeyeong and Lee Dayeong did during World Cup 2019 for their defence (and blocks too)

You can't expect this team to suddenly level up within 2 months time for the Olympics

• Assuming no upset takes place, Korea will have to beat at least Kenya & Serbia in their pool to advance to the Top 16.

(likely losing to Japan, Brazil & Dominican Republic)

At this rate and looking at the current team's power & coordination, doesn't seem likely they'd stand a chance against Serbia too, seeing how they lost against Poland and Dominican Republic. (note: only 2 months before Olympics, how much magic can Lavarini cast on such a team?)

eh what? Serbia is the main candidate to WIN the pool. They won't have any problem with Korean team...

Korea will have to play a head to head with Dominican R. for a place in QFs.

• eh what? Serbia is the main candidate to WIN the pool. They won't have any problem with Korean team...

Korea will have to play a head to head with Dominican R. for a place in QFs.

Haha is that right? Not too familiar with their team, but just know that Serbia beat Korea 3-1 in VNL 2019, and Korea beat Serbia 3-1 in World Cup 2019 after that

If so, then as long as De La Cruz plays and Martinez recovers, Dominican will win Korea to get into Top 16

• Haha is that right? Not too familiar with their team, but just know that Serbia beat Korea 3-1 in VNL 2019, and Korea beat Serbia 3-1 in World Cup 2019 after that

If so, then as long as De La Cruz plays and Martinez recovers, Dominican will win Korea to get into Top 16

Serbia played their B team in world cup 2019 and is playing their B team in this VNL as well. They are the world champions...

Also, in olympics there is 12 teams total, so you advance from the pool to top 8, not to top 16.

• Serbia played their B team in world cup 2019 and is playing their B team in this VNL as well. They are the world champions...

Also, in olympics there is 12 teams total, so you advance from the pool to top 8, not to top 16.

ah yes my bad, Top 8 not 16

Been seeing comments about 16강 in Korean and kept thinking Top 16 instead for some reason

Lol yea Serbia was in the 2016 Olympic finals too, what was I thinking haha

Dominican it is then

• The most focused I ever seen the Korean team play this VNL against Belgium.

But can't help but think of VNL 2019 when Korea won 3-0 (25-15, 25-17, 25-22) against Belgium

The starting lineup wasn't full either with Heejin, Dayeong, Sohwi, Seungju, Eunjin and Juah (liberos: Jiyoung/ Yeon Gyeon)

• She was less effective as an OH and more as a MB, which worked in her favour seeing how she got #1 in blocks this past season and won Best 7

I was really looking forward to Han Song Yi's performance at this VNL considering how she was the #1 blocker last season.

So far she vastly underdeliver. I don't think she's going to the Olympics.

Hopefully we'll get to see more of Lee Dahyeon in the next round.

• I was really looking forward to Han Song Yi's performance at this VNL considering how she was the #1 blocker last season.

So far she vastly underdeliver. I don't think she's going to the Olympics.

Hopefully we'll get to see more of Lee Dahyeon in the next round.

Han Song Yi gots to go. I'm sorry. Nothing against her or her age but I can clearly see she's not trying hard. She's just there. She doesn't have the Olympics package. The team should rather focus on the younger, faster players (despite less experience). That's the future.