Korean NT 2021

• Definitely prefer Hyejin's setting compared to Yeom, glad she's playing close to full-time against Russia today.

If there's anything I feel Yeom has in her advantage it'll be her experience on national stages - in terms of mental, but performance-wise has been disappointing.

Feel that Hyejin has a better serve, is faster, jumps higher for blocks too. Lavarini had even said about Yeom that "she doesn't run" to the team during a timeout against Italy in set 3 🤐

Would personally love to see Hyejin & Dain selected for this Olympics - for the future of both Korean v-league and Olympic setters, since they have more growth potential.

yes!! i think hyejin sets the best, and here defense is better than yeom’s. not sure abt the serves though, both her and yeum have solid serves. both are also prone to mental breakdowns and extremely erratic sets when it’s crunch time...

• Lavarini face: *get me out of here*

His face looked so sour near the end of set 3 lol

Due to some good blocks, Korea had quite a big 5pt or so lead in set 3 even without kyk and hyojin playing

Wonder why he subbed Hyejin out for Yeom when she was doing well then..?

They then lost that lead and made soo many mistakes

• Russia just toying with korea, they put bench player when they have lead. And insert main player again when korea catching up.

Hye Jin subtitution because Russia manage to get 4 or 5 straight block.

did you guys see when Russia left just spike above yeom hye seon block, lol not even close.

This is why they need double sub, the setter just doesnt have the height.

when Russia spike height is 295-300 cm how do you block that?

they need to improve floor defence, often time they just see the ball drop in.

• My 12 for OG (it's 12 right? if im not mistaken)

OH: KYK, Lee So Young, Park Jeong Ah

MB: Yang Hyo Jin, Kim Suji, Park Eunjin

OP: Kim Hee Jin, Park Jiyun

Libero: Oh Ji Young, Dae Hye

Setters: Yeum Hyesum, Kim Da In

Park Jeong Ah efficiencies go up when she's left, so yes, she can do both left or right. We pretty much need Heejin to be back, i cannot see Heejin not being there for OG.

If Lavarini wants to bring 2 liberos, im still wishing Kim Haeran could join, but if no, that libero from Hi-pass could go (Myungok is her name? and if she's healthy)

it seems to me Lavarini is deciding between Hyejin or Dain (Yeom seems locked, though i think she's in her worst condition ever, where's the Yeom from 2019?!?!).

And i really dont like Pyo Seungju, she looks like some ahjumma playing on court. Cant block, cant attack, cant receive.

• err you mean Jeong Jiyun or Park jeongah for OP?

Edit: ok my bad i didn't saw Park Jeongah for OH

I think we're all so done with Pyo seungju now😂 we need enforcement for defense

• Lavarini also subbed Kim, Hyojin and Jeongah out and let the shorter players played all of set 3. Russia had a block party. He's still testing the players and doesn't care about winning? :/ Their performance clearly disappointed him though.

Soyoung's attacks couldn't get pass the tall block. Jeongah is still better in this regard.

Pyo Seungju is just bad. Jiyun is already better than she is. Would not be fair for Jiyun if Seungju ended up going to Tokyo.

Another day of praying that Heejin will be back in time. :sos:

• I would love to see Moon Jung Won on the team instead of Pyo Seung Ju and Yuk Seo Young. She may not be an offensive threat but can definitely help them on defense.

As for the liberos, Yim Myung Ok may be the “best” libero in Vleague but I would go with Kim Yeon Gyeon; just gotta appreciate her efforts like throwing her body on the ground just to keep the ball alive. Though a YMO - KYG is also a good combination with YMO doing the receiving chores. Oh Ji Young needs to step up big time with Kim Hae Ran not on the radar.

• I also think he's still experimenting. But we all agree Seungju should not make the list to OG! Prefer Jiyun, she's young with more rooms to improve and got power even though she's not playing smart .

Told yaa I pray for Suji & Heejin's recovery everyday. And the libero as well

• The only real highlight today from the Korean side. :rolll:

haha pity I missed this while tuning in, but I want to add that I saw quite a few great saves/dives from Oh Jiyoung aside from this one

I wanna give her more credit than she is getting (ofc still think Kim Haeran & Im Myungok are better), but I've seen quite some great saves from her throughout VNL - or at the very least, much better defence than the rest of the team (which is horrid) lol

Assuming the Olympic roster gets healthy Kim Suji, recovering Kim Heejin (not full-time & as effective in digs/attacks as before), healthy Im Myungok, what are your predictions for how far this Korean Team can go?

Do you think they can at least beat both Kenya & Dominican + have a high enough set score average to advance to Top8?

I personally don't think so (due to setter, poor defence and lack of practice/coordination), but at the most Top 8, not Top 4

edit: I think they can beat Kenya, but not both Kenya & Dom (to advance to Top 8 ) is what I meant

Curious how far you think this KR team can advance to, don't think I'm being pessimistic either, just realistic

• Assuming the Olympic roster gets healthy Kim Suji, recovering Kim Heejin (not full-time & as effective in digs/attacks as before), healthy Im Myungok, what are your predictions for how far this Korean Team can go?

Do you think they can at least beat both Kenya & Dominican + have a high enough set score average to advance to Top8?

I personally don't think so (due to setter, poor defence and lack of practice/coordination), but at the most Top 8, not Top 4

Would getting Kim Suji make a difference for MBs? I'm genuinely curious. I heard she plays smart and understand the plays well, but isn't she the same as Songyi (slow)? No doubt about her performance during Tokyo Qualifiers and World Cup though, she was great.

For Olympics, I think we can with against Kenya. For Dominican, we would have to push our way through since they're a team full of athletic (strong) players.

Serbia, Brazil, and Japan just improved a whole lot so it's kinda hard to win. Though we won against them in the 2019 World Cup, it's been 2 years and a lot has changed. Unless MBs blocks against them well and KYK gets alot of good balls (meaning our defense goes well) - we MIGHT get a chance.

Not to be really pessimistic, just being kinda realistic here 😬

• I still think they have chance. Once the roster is confirmed, they can focus on practice among themselves. No more try and error. Of course time is limited but fingers crossed they can turn the tables.

Well it's olympic, anything can happen.

• They likely can beat Kenya. Korea lost to DOM the last 3 times they met each other (vnl, world cup 2019 and vnl 2021). I would say chances are low to beat them. I do remember they didnt have any solutions for Kim Heejin's cross-court for a while. (i watched world cup sooooo many times cos there wasnt any int'l matches in 2020. dammmn covid).

Lavarini bringing 2 liberos, simply cos these people can't receive well? Bad receiving means you'll keep chasing after the ball, and will lose your chance at scoring, giving free balls to the other party.

Imagine Park Jeong Ah at the back row, subbed out for a libero, then there are more players who are "better" at receving. The chances of scoring would be higher.

• Imagine Park Jeong Ah at the back row, subbed out for a libero, then there are more players who are "better" at receving. The chances of scoring would be higher.

Unlikely for him to put 2 liberos at the same time. Cuz if he does double substitutions, then it would be: OPP, MB and OH1 in frontcourt, and then SETTER, OH2, and Libero at the back.

Subbing the OH2 for a libero as well wouldn't be a smart move since your attacking choice goes down to 3 rather than 4 (and no backcourt attacks). Makes plays a bit to tight at the net too, wouldn't it? 🤔

• Assuming the Olympic roster gets healthy Kim Suji, recovering Kim Heejin (not full-time & as effective in digs/attacks as before), healthy Im Myungok, what are your predictions for how far this Korean Team can go?

With how the team is performing at the VNL (lots of losing in straight sets ;(), I would consider it a big success if they can make it into the Top 8.

The direct competition is certainly the Dominican Republic. I think they might have a better chance with Heejin and Jeongah in the front court instead of Soyoung who is easier to block.

With all teams bringing their A game, only a miracle would get Korea further IMO.

• Unlikely for him to put 2 liberos at the same time. Cuz if he does double substitutions, then it would be: OPP, MB and OH1 in frontcourt, and then SETTER, OH2, and Libero at the back.

Subbing the OH2 for a libero as well wouldn't be a smart move since your attacking choice goes down to 3 rather than 4 (and no backcourt attacks). Makes plays a bit to tight at the net too, wouldn't it? 🤔

Yeah, 3 attacking options. Maybe defense > offense for him?

If it isn't, i wonder his intent of bringing 2 liberos, cos i don't think it's to rest the libero - they play a game once every 2 days.