Korean NT 2021

• Not sure if VNL rules will be similar to Olympics, but unlike in v-league, you have to challenge a play immediately (and interrupt the play) if you notice something - unlike v-league where you can challenge any moment of the play at the very end.

Thought this rule was made pretty clear early in, but not sure why even in this last set, Korea was challenging an antenna touch (that happened mid-play) only after the play ended.

International volleyball's rules are pretty consistent (it's the same in VNL and OG), which is that you have to challenge within five seconds (edit: 8 seconds) after the fault happened. If it's something mid-rally and the ref doesn't call it it's the coach's responsibility to interrupt the play.

There is no way Lavarini doesn't know this. If his assistant is responsible for pressing the challenge button then he should know he's not in V-league.

• International volleyball's rules are pretty consistent (it's the same in VNL and OG), which is that you have to challenge within five seconds after the fault happened. If it's something mid-rally and the ref doesn't call it it's the coach's responsibility to interrupt the play.

There is no way Lavarini doesn't know this. If his assistant is responsible for pressing the challenge button then he should know he's not in V-league.

It's actually within 8 seconds , but still

• Why does the V-league has rules different than FIVB rules? I would think that they would try to make their rules as similar as possible to the FIVB rules. Making challenges mid-play doesn't seem all that complicated. :/

I also don't get why Lavarini insists on using Oh Jiyoung as the only libero?

Well the v-league rules grants them more flexibility compared to FIVB ones, so its not necessarily a horrible thing (and fans may prefer it too).

But like fire_cai_bin said, the onus is on the coach to interrupt the play, so I'm guessing Lavarini just didn't notice it.

Saw that it was Kim who described the situation to the refs during challenge and appealing it at the end (she does that quite often actually lol:rolll:, even in leagues) Just wondering why she (or any player at all) does so since it doesn't change anything, and she should also know she can't challenge it anymore.

But hey, she always gets so fired up after a failed attempt & spikes back hard so.. :whistle:

I personally quite disagree that OJY doesn't run for balls, seen some great digs from her. Nothing Kim Haeran level and obv she's not that great, but she does hustle for them. While surely Dahye could've gotten more opportunities to play and show her skills like the 3 setters, I find the gap between her & OJY is kinda large. (edit: anyway the whole team's receiving/digging is lacking, so its not just solely on OJY, she's also still better than dahye)

Man, I can't wait to watch those thrilling nail-biting 5-set matches against Taiwan and Vietnam after Kim retires.

While the sarcasm of this isn't lost on me, Taiwan & Vietnam is too much of an exaggeration. Thailand possibly though.

Korea still sailed through the stages of Asian Qualifiers without Kim during her abdominal injury.

• Well the v-league rules grants them more flexibility compared to FIVB ones, so its not necessarily a horrible thing (and fans may prefer it too).

it may be better for viewers/financially, but if there are differences in the game it will not help develop the players (I guess coaches in this specific case).

For example American Universities have a league system called NCAA, they use a ball that's much easier to receive and it's totally different playing with the international ball.

• Lavarini and staff really need to rethink the strategy. The VNL was a testing ground with the new team and all that yes, but there are clearly select players who are flat out weak and drags the team down.

1. Yeom Hye Sun

2. Pyo Seung Joo

3. Han Song Yi

These three CANNOT, no MUST NOT make the final OG team. Please..........

• Yeom isn't great, but I think she got better as she played more matches. I think Lavarini has already decided on the starting lineup for OG. We'll know the 12 names by 5th July or earlier.

I just dont wanna see ahjumma Pyo on the namelist, but likely she'll be included if Lavarini is gonna bring 4 OHs

Are the girls flying back today? Anyone knows?

• Are the girls flying back today? Anyone knows?

They will be arriving in Korea 2:55PM on the 22nd tomorrow (https://sports.news.naver.com/…hn?oid=530&aid=0000006808)

I rather Hyejin & Dain be chosen to train the next gen of setters, but pretty sure he'd still choose Yeom.

Pyo... well is just a matter of 'what other choice does he have' lmao

Oh well, rebuilding will only start after this Olympics, not before

• Yeom isn't great, but I think she got better as she played more matches. I think Lavarini has already decided on the starting lineup for OG. We'll know the 12 names by 5th July or earlier.

I just dont wanna see ahjumma Pyo on the namelist, but likely she'll be included if Lavarini is gonna bring 4 OHs

Are the girls flying back today? Anyone knows?

It doesn't matter if she got "better." She certainly hasn't gotten better in my eyes in the last two matches. Just throw in younger players even if they don't have experience. They just have more power, quicker, etc.

• Yesterday match Da in was put in to deal with nederland tip play, Hye seon too slow to dig the ball from position 2. The result is instant, korea was able to save many point. But Da in lack if experience shown in third set when she cant solve nederland block, as she kept toss the ball left, when yeom was put back in the play is stabilize.

What im trying to say is Yeom + Da in is the best choice right now for Olympic.

• saw a post that NT will arrive in Korea in the afternoon on June 22. Then they wil be quarantined and will be able to do a one week traning together as well. Their quarantine ends on July 6 and the final OG lineup will enter Athlete's Village yo train for Olympics

Hmm, I don't think Suji and Heejin would be considered in the OG lineup anymore? Didn't someone say that the deadline of lineup submission is on July 5?? If they can't train with them during June 23-July4, then it's almost impossible for them to be picked.....unless, Lavarini unconditionally puts them in the lineup.

• saw a post that NT will arrive in Korea in the afternoon on June 22. Then they wil be quarantined and will be able to do a one week traning together as well. Their quarantine ends on July 6 and the final OG lineup will enter Athlete's Village yo train for Olympics

Hmm, I don't think Suji and Heejin would be considered in the OG lineup anymore? Didn't someone say that the deadline of lineup submission is on July 5?? If they can't train with them during June 23-July4, then it's almost impossible for them to be picked.....unless, Lavarini unconditionally puts them in the lineup.

Is it?😢 I'm still hoping for them to join.. We don't know what's happening behind the scene so i'll consider them still have chance until final list is out🙏

• Sure hope so, they gotta base it off of his results in 2019/20 (beating China, Japan, Brazil, and putting up good fights against other strong opponents)

... cause if they base it off of Olympic results, we all know that's out of his control and nothing amazing can come from such a line-up

Don't even mention 2019/20, I'd try to keep him looking at the team and players' improvement in this VNL alone.

But the real problem IMO is Lavarini might not want to stay. He did an amazing job building up a team in preparation for the Olympics, now he cannot bring them to the Olympics. With the twins' future unclear, I think we all know how many of the players on his 2019/20 team will remains on the NT after the Olympics. :gone:

If he stays, there is still hope for the future of Korean volleyball, but his contract is ending soon and I bet there are better teams out there who want him as their coach.

• Don't even mention 2019/20, I'd try to keep him looking at the team and players' improvement in this VNL alone.

Haha, no not Lavarini himself :D
    I meant for the KVA to look at his results as a coach during 2019/20, and know that its worth extending his contract with the Korean NT (rather than by Olympic results)

Cause he did so well that I heard (and I'm sure) other countries have been eyeing him, like Thailand that's pumping in money to rebuild their team (just hearsay on my end though, not sure how true)

But yeah, will he himself even want to stay with Korea after all that's happened this time round? And who will be the players he'll get to work with too (depends on how much Korea offers I guess)

Korea has no hope without a foreign coach of the same calibre as Lavarini at the very least, their local coaches are hopeless.

• Haha, no not Lavarini himself :D
    I meant for the KVA to look at his results as a coach during 2019/20, and know that its worth extending his contract with the Korean NT (rather than by Olympic results)

I got what you meant ^^. I was just saying that even without the 2019/20 results, the team's improvement at this VNL alone is enough for the KVA to try and keep him. Without a player like KYK, we'll never get the 2019/20 team back anyway.

I think the KVA knows very well that he's a great coach. They're not that dumb:whistle:. But they're a mess so who knows what they'll do.

Who do you think should be on the OG lineup? I saw you posted this a few pages ago but you didn't include the players. ^^

This is my top list for the OG:

Everyone agrees that Pyo Seungju should not make it to the list.

Personally I agree with you on Han Songyi (I think Suji should go). But somehow HSY delivered her best game on the match against the Netherlands. Had she performed poorly on this match, I'd say she's completely out, but now I'm not so sure.

As for Hyeseon, if Ahn Hyejin does not fully recover, I'm afraid she's the only choice left besides Dain.

Anw, would love to hear your thoughts on the OG roster. :)

• My New Tokyo Entry Prediction:

1. Kim Yeonkoung

2. Lee Soyoung

3. Park Jeongah

4. Jeon Jihyun

5. Yeom Hyesun

6. Kim Dain

7. Oh Jiyoung

8. Yang Hyojin

9. Park Eunjin

10. Pyo Seunju / or another Libero

11. Kim Suji

Weirdly, I keep getting this feeling that Suji and Heejin would be included in the lineup 🤔 [[I can't wait for July 5th!!!! I'm excited who's gonna make it to OG!!]]

Whoever Lavarini picks, I'm sure it's for the best of the team ♥️

• I'm praying everyday for Heejin and Suji to fully recover and join the list to OG.. This might be their last olympic also

I don't know about setter but An Hyejin might make it don't you think so?🤔 though not sure about her injury & lack of playing time during VNL

• Love seeing how Jung Jiyoon has improved through this VNL, and having people see and acknowledge her performance too:drink:

Have always liked watching Jiyoon and Dahyun play on Hillstate, so I knew they'd do well & have the growth potential for NT

• Hmm, I don't think Suji and Heejin would be considered in the OG lineup anymore? Didn't someone say that the deadline of lineup submission is on July 5?? If they can't train with them during June 23-July4, then it's almost impossible for them to be picked.....unless, Lavarini unconditionally puts them in the lineup.

There is hope now! :olympia:

From this article. (there's an English translation by GG Translate :D if you scroll all the way down.)

"The national team players will go home from the 23rd and begin self-quarantine for a week. The team will conduct cohort training in Hadong-gun, South Gyeongsang Province, for a week from Friday.

The cohort training will include the national team players who participated in the VNL tournament and some players who were unable to participate in the VNL due to injuries.

According to volleyball officials, Kim Hee-jin and Kim Soo-ji (now IBK Industrial Bank of Korea) are also expected to join the cohort training. The two players are currently participating in training for their teams after recovering from injuries."