Korean NT 2021

• Well that's all folks!

The end of this match signals the end of an era. Can't say I wasn't disappointed with the way we played but it is what it is. Nonetheless, mad respect to the team for overcoming all odds to reach the semi-finals and to the coaching staff and fans who have stood by them all this while. If anything, this Olympics showed that all things are possible with tenacity and a great deal of luck.

The end of this match is also expected to mark the end of KYK's journey with the national team (and maybe YHJ / KSJ). Not enough credit is given to her for the way she literally carries the SK volleyball industry on her shoulders. If all goes well, the increased respect and interest for domestic volleyball could mean better salaries and QoL improvements for our SK volleyball players. It's also fascinating that 8 years on from the London Olympics, her skills are still miles ahead of her teammates which is a testament to her endurance and skill. Her departure from the team would be an immense loss to the team, not only from a skill / competence perspective but also from a leadership / synergy perspective.

The contributions of other players should definitely not be overlooked as well. Without those clutch moments from players like the HJs and PJA, the team would have never gotten as far as it did.

Also, props to Stefano Lavarini, Cesar Gonzales and the other supporting staffs for greatly improving the standard of the SK NT through the years and sticking by them through all of their matches.

And thank you all! It's been a wild ride 🤟

• I literally bawled after the match. I cannot believe this is going to be her ending. No Olympic medal for a legendary, global superstar like Kim. I just don't know what to do now.

I have no reason to watch Korean volleyball anymore. Korean volleyball needs to really think about how to proceed without her now. That's going to be a HUGE challenge. Without Kim, there is no Korean volleyball at this point.

My heart is CRUSHED for Kim.

• I literally bawled after the match. I cannot believe this is going to be her ending. No Olympic medal for a legendary, global superstar like Kim. I just don't know what to do now.

I have no reason to watch Korean volleyball anymore. Korean volleyball needs to really think about how to proceed without her now. That's going to be a HUGE challenge. Without Kim, there is no Korean volleyball at this point.

Me too😭 my face literally swollen from crying too much. No Kim means no leader, no 'go to' player. Icon of volleyball. She's irreplaceable! So I guess jersey no 10 will 'retire' as well together with the owner.

I dont know how this Korean team will look like after this to be honest. With Suji and Hyojin also retire. Heejin might follow as well considering her struggles with injury

this is gonna happen sooner or later, Thailand already start their rebuilding, surely Korea will rebuild too.

i started to watching volleyball again because of KYK too, but now im in too deep lol.

• Please make it happen! Let's build on this momentum to completely reshape the national team and put away for good the dinosaurs of yesteryear like Lee Jung-chul, Cha Hae-won and Kim Hyung-sil.

And NO Cha Sang-hyun, I don't wanna see you lead the team. We need someone who understands modern volleyball.

https://sports.news.naver.com/news?oid=001&aid=0012585947

Omg yes please. KVA please throw all your money to Lavarini & co.

I don't want Cha Sanghyun either. After what he did to Kim during the league, I hate to see him around. Hell no

• The great Kim Yeon Koung announced her retirement from Korea national team today after the match😭😭

https://n.news.naver.com/sport…20/article/468/0000782665

The article quoted her saying

"We have to discuss about it, but I've prepared thinking of this Olympic as my last"

“이야기를 나눠봐야 하겠지만 이번 올림픽이 마지막이라고 생각하고 준비했다”

It added that she won't join Asian Games next year (but it wasn't quoting her and just saying her statement implied that)

I'm not saying this cause I hope for her to play again cause I think it's time for her to rest from NT.

But idk this article doesn't sound like it completely rules out anything + Brazil players have showed they can still play at a high level at their age

Just a thought, but perhaps she won't participate in NT for all competitions, but only Olympics (like Boskovic) - though, whether Korea will qualify is another thing. I just feel like we might see her in 2024 lol, but even if we don't thats fine.

I don't want Cha Sanghyun either. After what he did to Kim during the league, I hate to see him around. Hell no

What did he do to Kim lol? The only thing I rmb was him complaining abt her pulling the net in frustration which any opposing coach would do😅

Obv prefer Lavarini, but I think he'll be sent many offers by other countries as well after this Olympics. He might prefer leading the Italian NT if he was offered it too, closer to home.

At least CSH knows how to utilize bench players well instead of relying on a single main squad like some other coaches lol