2021 Shaanxi Chinese National Games (female volleyball event)

• Nobody has the Macau match queued up :|

• Scores for the last day of competition - 13 Apr

(Source: Weibo)

Sichuan 3-0 Macau. 25-17, 25-22, 25-12

Jiangsu 3-0 Henan 25-12, 25-21, 26-24

Liaoning 3-0 Hebei 25-20, 25-15, 25-15

Beijing 3-0 Fujian. 25-17, 25-19, 25-15

Tianjin 3-0 Guangdong 25-21, 25-22, 25-14

Shandong 3-0 Shanghai 25-20, 25-18, 25-17

sitenoise ... They tried, they came up short, but that’s okay, they’ll be back, bigger and stronger and ready to face anyone.

• Yeah. Ya know, I did it. I rewatched their match against Jiangsu :) It's painful but so endearing. Their technical level is about that of a mediocre Japanese high school team. It really is, I guess, about resources and coaching (and time together). I'll watch it again, and I'd watch anything I can find with them. I'm going to have to figure out how to navigate that bilibili site. I bet they got something there in the cupboard.

After that Macau/Leong On Ieng video played this little love poem to Yan Ni came up next in the queue. It's beautiful. Cute song

• You know when Yan Ni decides to retire, tears will flow, like it did when tennis player Li Na gave her retirement speech :heart:

• The team picture of the Macau & Jiangsu teams — The National Games Prelim 6th Round 2021-04-12

Zhu Ting 朱婷 & Leong On Ieng 梁安盈 (Liang An Ying) (captain of Macau team) — National Games Prelim 5th Round 2021-04-11

The cute picture of Leong On Ieng 梁安盈 (Liang An Ying) (the captain of Macau team) April 2021

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 2 times, last by samsara ().

• Do we think China will send the A team for the match at the Olympic stadium in Japan (May 1st)?

It's hard to believe that they would travel there just for one practice match. Then again they could use that to make the players take their performances seriously leading up into VNL.

• Fun Fact?

Every match from group A, except Guangdong 3–2 Beijing, was 3–0

• Shandong 3-0 Shanghai 25-20, 25-18, 25-17

I'm surprised Shandong beat Shanghai so easily. *Edit: Just seen that Shanghai used their bench.

Shanghai is another team like Beijing who hires foreigners, but also needs to start transitioning to their old generation to the next youth players. Zhang Lei, Zhang Yichan, and Yang Jie, Bian Yuqian are getting older and or are battling injuries. I will say they do seem like they have some good young setters in Xu Xiaoting and Chen Fanglin.

• I'm surprised Shandong beat Shanghai so easily. *Edit: Just seen that Shanghai used their bench.

Shanghai is another team like Beijing who hires foreigners, but also needs to start transitioning to their old generation to the next youth players. Zhang Lei, Zhang Yichan, and Yang Jie, Bian Yuqian are getting older and or are battling injuries. I will say they do seem like they have some good young setters in Xu Xiaoting and Chen Fanglin.

The difference is that Shanghai has decent players with good floor defense... so all they need is to bring in hitters. Beijing doesn't really have anything.

• Do we think China will send the A team for the match at the Olympic stadium in Japan (May 1st)?

It's hard to believe that they would travel there just for one practice match. Then again they could use that to make the players take their performances seriously leading up into VNL.

well, the team gathered again for training. I think they will send the A team, they are probably already vaccinated and Jenny always stresses the importance of playing in that specific stadium (apparently, according to here, each stadium is slightly different)

• well, the team gathered again for training. I think they will send the A team, they are probably already vaccinated and Jenny always stresses the importance of playing in that specific stadium (apparently, according to here, each stadium is slightly different)

Man, if they send their A team and make scrambled eggs out of Japan ... I don't even want to think about that :rolll:

• Man, if they send their A team and make scrambled eggs out of Japan ... I don't even want to think about that :rolll:

I don't think that will happen! This is a *friendly* match to try the new stadium, and China is the only team invited, it's improper to do "scrambled eggs" (like the competitive match, the 2019 VNL iirc), face must be given! At most, they may try some full gear in just certain set, or other partial mixed scenario.

I concur with zhutingfan that China will send their A-team there, aside from the main purpose to try the new venue (thus the core players must get some familiarity with the court), the host will also be disappointed if China just send anything less, regarded as some form of disrespect.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• I suspect that China will send a ‘watered down’ A team, that nevertheless will include Zhu Ting. For test events like this one, the host nation would normally invite the top ranked athlete or team to attend. There is an assumption that feedbacks from these athletes and officials will be beneficial. There is also pride and publicity considerations, especially in these uncertain times. Japan wants to project, a safe and secure environment for the games and getting a nod and a thumbs up from someone like Zhu Ting helps. Another thing, I do believe we shouldn’t underestimate the strength of the Japanese team, especially since they are the hosts. I heard that Mayu Ishikawa has transformed into a really good spiker, much like her famous brother.

• I suspect that China will send a ‘watered down’ A team, that nevertheless will include Zhu Ting. For test events like this one, the host nation would normally invite the top ranked athlete or team to attend. There is an assumption that feedbacks from these athletes and officials will be beneficial. There is also pride and publicity considerations, especially in these uncertain times. Japan wants to project, a safe and secure environment for the games and getting a nod and a thumbs up from someone like Zhu Ting helps. Another thing, I do believe we shouldn’t underestimate the strength of the Japanese team, especially since they are the hosts. I heard that Mayu Ishikawa has transformed into a really good spiker, much like her famous brother.

Personally i wouldn't be worried if we see "problems" in this event and the VNL (injury aside). Coaches know that players' form go up and down and it's important to save the best for the Olympics.

• The qualification is for 9-12 with or without the Hebei team (but I guess it's Hebei team that doesn't participate, not the Yunnan team as I posted in the NT thread). Just saw the tournament banner hang in court in the match video.

20210418 第十四届全运会女排成年组9—12名决赛 北京 vs 四川

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1zo4y1f7zu

Full match (177-min) Women's Volleyball Adult Group 9-12 Finals - 14th National Games: Beijing vs Sichuan (20210418)

Still looks for the Miao Yiwen presence in the Sichuan team :love:

• there are 5 teams playing SRR. So one team has a rest day. Today it happened to be Hebei, but it will be Beijing tomorrow.

Fujian-Sichuan, Yunnan-Hebei tomorrow.

Only the Macau girls had to go home, probably because many of them are PE teachers, etc.

• there are 5 teams playing SRR. So one team has a rest day. Today it happened to be Hebei, but it will be Beijing tomorrow.

Fujian-Sichuan, Yunnan-Hebei tomorrow.

Only the Macau girls had to go home, probably because many of them are PE teachers, etc.

In that case the banner title is misleading -- they should have mentioned 9-13

第十四届全国运动会女子排球成年组9-12名决赛(秦皇岛训练基地赛区)

“Women's Volleyball Adult Group 9-12 Finals of the 14th National Games (Qinhuangdao Training Base)”

• It sounds making sense since no effort is needed to reside at the bottom :lol: it's a very typical China since elsewhere usually people will label it 9-13 :-) just look around for many volleyball events in Asia etc -- see AVC tournament for instance.

Happy that Sichuan is winning, I'll support the team to up its position. I believe they can beat both Hebei and Yunnan. Thing would be better again had they beaten Beijing :lol: Support Sichuan team, support Miao Yiwen (shirt #12) :love: the “dream-chasing girl” has a rather extraordinary life story in choosing the pro volleyball path after finishing senior high school, a really late comer indeed. She is not only gorgeous but also a personality of active learning as well as good self-discipline, that's why she could turn herself from a late bloomer & basic learner into a star in Sichuan team in pretty short time. I am "working" on a nice article on her, will post in the NT thread when finished.

Hopefully in the next National Games, Sichuan team can advance into the Top-8 so we can watch her plays under the proper TV cameras! Hate the fixed cameras used in the prelim. :bump:

Edited 3 times, last by samsara ().