Brazil NT 2021

• Of course it's just one game, and Brazil could turn out to be champion of VNL and even at OG, but that doesn't change something that I feel about this team.

I think Brazil it's becoming more and more predictable and conservative (it's boring to watch to be honest, could be related to the current kind of people we have there? 100%, but lets go), this is related to coaching, I don't have a doubt, but we all know how things work on men's team in terms of command. So at this point, it's difficult to not related the way Brazil play with setter position, I've always found Bruninho average, but for me, technically he is underperforming year after year. How can a setter playing in high level for so long and make such foolish mistakes? That low last ball for Lucarelli it's an perfect example, how many times we saw that? His game with the middle it's not good when Lucão it's not around, he seems lost.

But to not say that I only blame the setter, there's other two problems: middle blockers and libero. When I say that Brazil it's conservative it's for things like the situation with Thales, the guy it's not an unanimity, but he is treated like one, there's no fair competition and Maique it's not allowed to show he is capable to put that guy on bench, just because coaching staff is stucked with this mentality, so we have to see Thales watching the balls fall out in front on him and do nothing.

For the MB's, since Gustavo retired, Brazil downgrade a lot in terms of blocking, today, the only one we can say that have a proper performance it's Mauricio Souza (32 y.o). Isac and Flavio, unfortunately have not showed anything special, at this point Isac it's ahead of Flavio, but still not enough. Brazilian block it's nonexistent, so we depend more of defense, but we have a libero that don't defend, and we have a setter that can't make a confortable set for his attackers...

As I said, Brazil can be champion in VNL and OG, I'm not saying that we have a bad team or something like that, my point is that I see we coming to a limit of a formula and philosophy of game.

My final remarks:

Douglas cannot sit on bench for no one.

Willian's absence is inexplicable.

Lucão (even blocking less than Bia and Adenizia together) remains the best MB in Brazil for over 10 years.

I look forward to the day that the "senate" doesn't have so much influence in commanding this team.

I hope Bruninho retires in Tokyo (but that's just a wish, because this one won't let go anytime soon).

PEACE.

• Let's see how the team react to this performance and perform from now onwards as it was only the first defeat.

One thing is clear though, Lucão and Maurício are clearly the best MB atm. Isac and Flavio played better in the past, especially Flavio, but unfortunately, their current shape is not the best, yet they have to play, even on bad days as we need to value them to see who will be selected to Tokyo.

Douglas is a good player and is capitalizing on his chances, but it is early to say he deserves the starting position. Both Leal and Lucarelli earned their spots and that's what Douglas has to do :thumbup:

• Douglas was the best OH in the last WCH and the best player in Superliga this season (despite CBV not awarding him). What else does he have to do to earn the spot?????

He and Maike not being starters is not a coincidence.

• Y'all, in 2019 Brazil lost to Serbia C with this very team and then to Poland B in the F6 lmao I agree with everything that you guys said (literally everything), but it's still way too early. These dumb losses have happened every single year since I don't know, 2011?

Last time Leal and Thales were garbage early on in the season and the team still managed to win the World Cup, South American Championship and the Olympic qualies. Do I think they're gonna win stuff this year? I don't know. But perhaps they'll still find their footing going forward.

But yeah, not having Douglas start and not testing Maique (even though he's basically out from the OG at this point) is ridiculous.

• Y'all, in 2019 Brazil lost to Serbia C with this very team and then to Poland B in the F6 lmao I agree with everything that you guys said (literally everything), but it's still way too early. These dumb losses have happened every single year since I don't know, 2011?

Last time Leal and Thales were garbage early on in the season and the team still managed to win the World Cup, South American Championship and the Olympic qualies. Do I think they're gonna win stuff this year? I don't know. But perhaps they'll still find their footing going forward.

But yeah, not having Douglas start and not testing Maique (even though he's basically out from the OG at this point) is ridiculous.

Since way before that. Since Giba, Gustavo and others. We lost a Pan American semifinals to Venezuela in 2003 for example.

• Douglas was the best OH in the last WCH and the best player in Superliga this season (despite CBV not awarding him). What else does he have to do to earn the spot?????

Maike wasnt better than Talles in superliga finals.

Leal and Lucarelli are among the best OH of the world. So Douglas could be starting but there others better options. If was Mauricio starting and Douglas not this would be something strange. Lucarelli and Leal won World Cup.

• Since way before that. Since Giba, Gustavo and others. We lost a Pan American semifinals to Venezuela in 2003 for example.

Oh yeah, sure. Also France played superb today, but Brazil is probably in that slower state due to physical training etc. I wouldn't worry too much.

• Maike wasnt better than Talles in superliga finals.

Leal and Lucarelli are among the best OH of the world. So Douglas could be starting but there others better options. If was Mauricio starting and Douglas not this would be something strange. Lucarelli and Leal won World Cup.

I probably saw different matches

• I probably saw different matches

For sure Because Mina's libero was not good in reception and neither impress in defence.

• I dont see ppl big italian clubs fighting for Douglas as they do to Leal and Lucarelli. Of couse this duo of OH provide a better offensive power in position 4 but makes reception more fragile than with Douglas.

• William is the best setter ftom Brazil and he should be selected. A back up spot for Bruno besides he is the best setter.

• Maique wasn't perfect in SL Finals, as all the Minas team, but it was enough to be better them Thales, and that don't exclude the fact he is better overall.

About Douglas, the numbers and the games are all over the internet to speak for myself. If big clubs in Italy are not fighting for him (I cannot affirm this, who can?) then it's bad for them. Of course Leal and Lucarelli are one of the best outside hitters in the world, but they are not a combo who play alone, and in Brazilian system, I see that it's better Douglas starting next to one of them.

And I agree, Brazil had always have this stupid defeats, I remember a couple of them, that's why I said: Brazil still can win everything this year, but my concern is with the impoverishment of our game, especially with Bruninho being our setter until, who knows, Los Angeles 2028, can work now, but I don't know if we can sustain this for much more time.

• Maique wasn't perfect in SL Finals, as all the Minas team, but it was enough to be better them Thales, and that don't exclude the fact he is better overall.

About Douglas, the numbers and the games are all over the internet to speak for myself. If big clubs in Italy are not fighting for him (I cannot affirm this, who can?) then it's bad for them. Of course Leal and Lucarelli are one of the best outside hitters in the world, but they are not a combo who play alone, and in Brazilian system, I see that it's better Douglas starting next to one of them.

And I agree, Brazil had always have this stupid defeats, I remember a couple of them, that's why I said: Brazil still can win everything this year, but my concern is with the impoverishment of our game, especially with Bruninho being our setter until, who knows, Los Angeles 2028, can work now, but I don't know if we can sustain this for much more time.

I agree with 100% of what you said. We don't know who and if there are any clubs fighting for Douglas. Also, he is three years younger than Lucarelli, who only went to play abroad for the first time last year, and 7 years younger than Leal. There is still too much to happen.

Brazil's male team always took a long time to change the starters or even the final group, and this pair: Leal/Lucarelli, not only won the last big world male tournament ( World Cup) but also played on the best teams and leagues in the world.

The fact is that people think he is being overlooked because he is gay, and I don't think it is the case in this particular situation. The others are more accomplished than him TODAY, but it doesn't mean it can't change tomorrow. He is having his chances, and should he keep playing well and the others so-so he may grab one of their spots. The only issue for me is saying it is absurd to see Leal/Lucarelli as starters, it is obviously not the case IMHO.

To make it clear, I am also gay and I believe Douglas's presence is super important:thumbup:

• Brazil's male team always took a long time to change the starters or even the final group, and this pair: Leal/Lucarelli, not only won the last big world male tournament ( World Cup) but also played on the best teams and leagues in the world.

The fact is that people think he is being overlooked because he is gay, and I don't think it is the case in this particular situation. The others are more accomplished than him TODAY, but it doesn't mean it can't change tomorrow. He is having his chances, and should he keep playing well and the others so-so he may grab one of their spots. The only issue for me is saying it is absurd to see Leal/Lucarelli as starters, it is obviously not the case IMHO.

To make it clear, I am also gay and I believe Douglas's presence is super important:thumbup:

I respect your opinion and I totally disagree. That's fine. IMO it's obvious that Douglas did not get any award at Superliga because of his sexual orientation. But hey! Let's hope for the best for our NT:win:

• Judging by what I see the last few days in social media of some players, and over the last few years, especially after 2014, I don't have a doubt that Douglas don't receive the same treatment because of his sexuality and for political reasons, unfortunately volleyball revealed to be a place where people have the worst possible ideologies.

And of course I don't think it's absurd Leal/Lucarelli playing together, we saw something like this in Beijing 2008 with Mari/Paula, and we know how it ended. I just think it's better for the team that Douglas get a spot in the lineup, but we are free to the disagree about it and cheer for what's best for Brazil, which is: getting a medal no matter what. :super:

• Felipe Roque injured his knee during trainings before the second week of VNL. || Judging by how everyone's reacting to it online, it seems serious -- I wouldn't be surprised if he suffered an ACL rupture. He'll return to Brazil shortly and Alan and Wallace will remain with the team as the OPPs.

there goes the Brazilian eyecandy

• Felipe Roque injured his knee during trainings before the second week of VNL. || Judging by how everyone's reacting to it online, it seems serious -- I wouldn't be surprised if he suffered an ACL rupture. He'll return to Brazil shortly and Alan and Wallace will remain with the team as the OPPs.

Now it's confirmed, it was indeed an ACL injury. He's out until 2022, poor guy.

• Brazil's male team always took a long time to change the starters or even the final group, and this pair: Leal/Lucarelli, not only won the last big world male tournament ( World Cup) but also played on the best teams and leagues in the world.

Agree with you.