• I didn't expect that comeback though. Still not enough 😔

Russia can win this match using the middles, Pankov not playing to Russia's strengths

• Vlasov can't get a serve in :gone:

• The service errors of Russia just too much 🙄

Yeah, a lot of Russian service errors this match

• Russia's weakness are good serving teams, they just don't have that player to stabilize the reception.

• happy with the French win and for Trevor. 🥰😍

• Michieletto will have such an amazing career, what a vision he has! He plays like an experienced player: changing the speed of the serves, tipping when it is needed, block outs, etc. Sure, he still has silly/childish mistakes, he is just 19, but the talent is there.

Hope he starts in more matches.

Sbertoli is playing quite good in this VNL, but he still doesnt convince for being Giannelli sub in Tokyo. I consider Giannelli needs an experienced setter in the bench.

Btw, Conte has played so poorly today :( It has been ages that I havent seen such a bad performance from him. Super off in reception, super blocked by Italy, etc.

• Michieletto will have such an amazing career, what a vision he has! He plays like an experienced player: changing the speed of the serves, tipping when it is needed, block outs, etc. Sure, he still has silly/childish mistakes, he is just 19, but the talent is there.

Hope he starts in more matches.

Sbertoli is playing quite good in this VNL, but he still doesnt convince for being Giannelli sub in Tokyo. I consider Giannelli needs an experienced setter in the bench.

Btw, Conte has played so poorly today :( It has been ages that I havent seen such a bad performance from him. Super off in reception, super blocked by Italy, etc.

Haven't been watching any volleyball so far this week, but I just looked at Argentina's stats and yikes. I know COVID hit them pretty hard, but Conte's performance + losing 3-0 to this Italian team... not a good look.

• Haven't been watching any volleyball so far this week, but I just looked at Argentina's stats and yikes. I know COVID hit them pretty hard, but Conte's performance + losing 3-0 to this Italian team... not a good look.

Argentina was leading 14-8 in the first set, but then they totally collapsed. They are well known for being a team with good skills, good volume of game and defence. But today almost everyone played below their standards. I know it is the first match of Lima, Lazo and Danani, so it is understandable from them, but Conte performance today was a drop, as well as Uriarte.

Sole was the only one who was trying, but then he faded away too. It was really painful to watch.

Italy played with Recine, so I thought Argentina could have taken advantage of it, but no. Italy outblocked Argentina 16-9 :what:

Btw, hope to see Douglas starting today against NED at least.

• Sbertoli is playing quite good in this VNL, but he still doesnt convince for being Giannelli sub in Tokyo. I consider Giannelli needs an experienced setter in the bench.

Who is actually a possible & sensible sub for Giannelli regardless of age?

Italy is going to be irrelevant or at least won't be a podium contender in the next 1-2 cycle:gone:

• Argentina was leading 14-8 in the first set, but then they totally collapsed. They are well known for being a team with good skills, good volume of game and defence. But today almost everyone played below their standards. I know it is the first match of Lima, Lazo and Danani, so it is understandable from them, but Conte performance today was a drop, as well as Uriarte.

Sole was the only one who was trying, but then he faded away too. It was really painful to watch.

Italy played with Recine, so I thought Argentina could have taken advantage of it, but no. Italy outblocked Argentina 16-9 :what:

Italy scoring 16 blocks in 3 sets was just bizarre. I guess Argentina simply did not feel like playing today lmao

Also hoping to see Douglas today! And perhaps tomorrow too. Bulgaria always hits extra hard against Brazil from the service line.

• Who is actually a possible & sensible sub for Giannelli regardless of age?

Italy is going to be irrelevant or at least won't be a podium contender in the next 1-2 cycle:gone:

I agree that it seems Italy would be likely out of medal contender in the next years once Osmany and Zaytsev retirement. Michieletto is still super green, thought he is very very talented.

I think that despite Giannelli exceeded all the expectations in Rio, playing such a solid tournament at only 20 yo, Italy needed an experienced setter in the bench. Sottile really added few - nothing when Simone was off, that was an option cuz of his age.

Giannelli has improved a lot in these last 4 years, he is much more solid than in Rio, but he could still have off days (and when it happens, he is really really off, as it happene in CL), that's why I think he needs an experienced setter in Tokyo.

Who could be a good sub? It is such a hard question...because Sbertoli nor Spirito have the experience. Saitta, Falaschi and Baranowicz have that, but they are too shaky. I wouldnt even consider Travica...

• Argentina was leading 14-8 in the first set, but then they totally collapsed. They are well known for being a team with good skills, good volume of game and defence. But today almost everyone played below their standards. I know it is the first match of Lima, Lazo and Danani, so it is understandable from them, but Conte performance today was a drop, as well as Uriarte.

Uriarte's setting was terrible, very easy to predict for italian blockers and he killed almost all the counters in the first two sets. He can't go to the olympics, Sanchez is so much better than him.

Conte is in poor form and the coach still thinks it's a good idea to give playing time to his son just so he can miss everything.

• I agree that it seems Italy would be likely out of medal contender in the next years once Osmany and Zaytsev retirement. Michieletto is still super green, thought he is very very talented.

I think that despite Giannelli exceeded all the expectations in Rio, playing such a solid tournament at only 20 yo, Italy needed an experienced setter in the bench. Sottile really added few - nothing when Simone was off, that was an option cuz of his age.

Giannelli has improved a lot in these last 4 years, he is much more solid than in Rio, but he could still have off days (and when it happens, he is really really off, as it happene in CL), that's why I think he needs an experienced setter in Tokyo.

Who could be a good sub? It is such a hard question...because Sbertoli nor Spirito have the experience. Saitta, Falaschi and Baranowicz have that, but they are too shaky. I wouldnt even consider Travica...

I consider Michieletto to be a very good OH2 - his passing is very impressive being a youngster. Not sure how good he will be at attacking though.

What international experience do Saitta & Falaschi have?

I agree Travica won't bring any good vibe (or sets) to the team:wavy:

• Uriarte's setting was terrible, very easy to predict for italian blockers and he killed almost all the counters in the first two sets. He can't go to the olympics, Sanchez is so much better than him.

Conte is in poor form and the coach still thinks it's a good idea to give playing time to his son just so he can miss everything.

Aside Conte, I think Uriarte was the other Argentinian player who had the worst performance today. Argentina defense was still on in the first set, and like you pointed out, Uriarte decisions killed most all the counter attacks. There were many many balls that he could have set to Loser or Sole, but he insisted setting to the pins when there was no need, conclusion: Italian block was already there waiting. Nor Cortesia, Vitelli are quick blocker, but despite of that, they read almost all Uriarte sets.

I was watching the match in an Argentinian channel and they highlighted that aside the 16 blocks in only 3 sets, Italian block kept a lot of balls which were easily defended by Balaso. That was the key of this match.