2021 FIVB Women's Club World Championships

• QF vs Korea came into mind;(

I think he learned from that experience.. today he was so calm and collected and not that timer bomb he usually is when something doesn't work... It helped that Vakif played really really well, but he usually would lose his temper after losing some sets

• QF vs Korea came into mind;(

But even then, turkey reached their peak in Olympic games. Losing a game is different than being at your peak at the wrong tournament, like China for example

• So many people were completely dismissing the Turkish league because of a 2 year break of winning literally everything :rolll:

It was a great tournament! Also grats to Imoco and Fenerbahce for the silver and bronze

Italian league is still by far the strongest league, maybe if they let 4 foreign in the court at the same time in TL, TL can come close but until that…

• Congrats Vakifbank, a very well deserved and timely win! Conegliano and Santarelli needed to be reminded of the reality and now they can work hard and make things better for themselves until CL finals or slowly dissappear.

When it comes to awards, I don't have a big problem with Moki getting the best libero award, it was a close call between Aykac and Moki anyway.

However the best setter award is like a joke. With all due respect to Wolosz, her setting algorythm is very basic and boring: (1) when things are going well, use OHs and middles, (2) when things are going critical, set anything, but anything to Paola and maybe once in every 5 sets, try the middles. This worked in 4th set for them, but in 5th set, even Egonu had troubles to pass that stable block and I can ensure you that it wasn't very difficult for Vakifbank to read her sets at that point.

On the other side, I have never been a big fan of Cansu because she gets clumsy and panics a lot under pressure. But this was the first full tournament I watched her so confident and not panicking. You can say it is because of her new hair style lol, but I like this new Cansu. When her team was failing to side-out, she was not breaking apart and loading all her sets to Gabi or Haak, she was trying alternatives. Just for these reasons, Cansu deserved the best setter award, not Wolosz. Footnote: it would be fun if Cansu tweeted what Wolosz said many years ago about Maja's best setter award hahaha.

I also hated how Wolosz was behaving when they were receiving their 2nd place award and the guy delivering the award got clumsy. Be a bit humble girl...

I need to add that I hated Guidetti's coaching in this match. Things would go a lot easier if she used Tugba/Derya time to time, not because they would make Vakifbank win, but because MBH could rest a bit and clear her mind. Instead he only used substitutes as serve subs. So I would say Vakifbank won despite Giovanni's terrible coaching, very well done!

• Btw didnt the announcers say MVP will be selected among the 6 players in the dream team this year? That's why it was clearly Haak who would get the MVP and not Egonu or Cansu.

• I think that Tugba and Deria arent prepare for this match.

MBH is tall, hás a good block and a great defense. She is experienced and i do think that Guidetti is right in given tô her confidence.

I wished Gabi was the MVP. She was great in this tournament.

• I need to add that I hated Guidetti's coaching in this match. Things would go a lot easier if she used Tugba/Derya time to time, not because they would make Vakifbank win, but because MBH could rest a bit and clear her mind. Instead he only used substitutes as serve subs. So I would say Vakifbank won despite Giovanni's terrible coaching, very well done!

So he had terrible coaching because of the one change he didn't make?

Mbh had %77 positive and %56 excellent reception in this match.She was good at defence and blocking. Even she couldn't kill any balls, guidetti couldn't give up on her because of the defensive side of the game. Also, Mbh made mistakes but those mistakes didn't cause a set to be lost. She started playing well from the 4th set. Imoco took the 2nd set with good performance by Egonu and their MBs.

Derya and tuğba cannot play at this level yet. They don't have enough experience.

The main reason why Vakıfbank won this tournament is Giovanni Guidetti without doubt. He prepared the team very well. Think about how they were 2 months ago.

The development of Cansu, Ogbogu, Haak, Zehra and Ayça under Giovanni's coaching is incredible. none of them could have reached their current levels without him.

#JUSTICEFORCANSU

• I think that Tugba and Deria arent prepare for this match.

MBH is tall, hás a good block and a great defense. She is experienced and i do think that Guidetti is right in given tô her confidence.

I wished Gabi was the MVP. She was great in this tournament.

Gabi as MVP is something I can get behind too. Girl has been doing the dirty work for Vakifbank.

• I don't agree the parts about Giovanni. Vakifbank still would be in the final with this squad, I mean the man wants Egonu when he knows he cannot win the title which I understand but this also indicates that he is not the only one making miracles but money talks. They simply have amazing players in the squad, yet more to come, can we disregard for example that Lavarini would not win the title with this squad or make it to the final? I don't think so.

Coming back to 1 substitution, yes it was a crucial error. If MBH was out in 3rd set, maybe Vakifbank would win the match 3-1. I cannot guarantee you that Derya/Tugba would play better than MBH, but you cannot guarantee it the other way around either, because he didnt give them a chance. More importantly, if your player is down on the court and she makes error over error, you can let her rest a bit, not because the bench players will do miracles, but because she clearly needs to relax a bit at the bench and come back better.

My main concern with Giovanni is this is not the first time he chokes against Italians. He did the same with the NT, did the same in previous times they met at club level. In TL, when he plays against teams like FB, GS and such, if MBH struggles, he does not hesitate to bench her and bring in Tugba. But when MBH struggles 4 sets in a row in a crucial match, he just watches. Telling Tugba is not enough for this level must be a joke, then why did he take her to Olympics with the NT where she played a lot of matches? I don't think he does these things consciously but someone needs to remind him and let him recognize that there is a pattern where he underperforms against Italians as a coach.

• I feel like the fact that MBH had Egonu across the net is being ignored. I don’t think she was bad. Yes, I expected her to have more kills but she compensated with her defensive skills. Had she more kills, Vakif would have had an easy time, yet Egonu’s blocking is pretty intimidating.

• A nice tunnel through time. Seeing Rasic, Kim Hill, Gözde, Gizem, Ebrar, Zhu, Krob, Lonneke etc is a strange feeling.

• They simply have amazing players in the squad, yet more to come, can we disregard for example that Lavarini would not win the title with this squad or make it to the final? I don't think so.

Most of vakif's players were not this good before working with Giovanni. He chooses the right players and helps them reach the top. They turned into amazing players after they came to Vakıfbank.

I think Lavarini is a good coach too, but first he has to learn that he can't win anything with Hancock lol

Coming back to 1 substitution, yes it was a crucial error. If MBH was out in 3rd set, maybe Vakifbank would win the match 3-1. I cannot guarantee you that Derya/Tugba would play better than MBH, but you cannot guarantee it the other way around either, because he didnt give them a chance. More importantly, if your player is down on the court and she makes error over error, you can let her rest a bit, not because the bench players will do miracles, but because she clearly needs to relax a bit at the bench and come back better.

Bartsch played well in the 4th set.despite Bartsch played well, vakıf lost that set. Bartsch was 3/4 in attacking. So it doesn't make sense to say that Vakif would have won 4.set if bartsch was out.

In TL, when he plays against teams like FB, GS and such, if MBH struggles, he does not hesitate to bench her and bring in Tugba. But when MBH struggles 4 sets in a row in a crucial match, he just watches. Telling Tugba is not enough for this level must be a joke, then why did he take her to Olympics with the NT where she played a lot of matches? I don't think he does these things consciously but someone needs to remind him and let him recognize that there is a pattern where he underperforms against Italians as a coach.

Playing in the Turkish league is not the same as playing against Imoco at wch final. Tugba and Derya have enough experience and quality for turkish league. If the opponent was not Imoco at wch final, he would use Derya or Tuğba as you said.

Tuğba went to the Olympics because the turkish OH rotation is not good. We don't really have anyone like Gabi or Bartsch. I criticized him a lot before the olympics but the choice of Tuğba for the Olympics was right.

I criticized Guidetti a lot in the past, there were crucial matches he has managed really poorly, sometimes he made so many mistakes at these matches, but I don't see much to criticize him in this tournament. Also, Guidetti can be criticized on some points, but I never agree that he has a terrible coaching against İmoco because of the one change he didn't make.