Brazil - Superliga 2021/2022

• OMG, I didn't know where to post this, if here or in the political/social issues thread, but since it's gained proportions for the roster of the team, it might as well be here.

Here it is: you guys know Maurício Souza, that delightful human being. :roll: So, a couple of weeks ago, he posted something homophobic in his Instagram, associated to a new comic book that'll feature Superman's son being gay, or something like that. (Bear with me, guys!) This thing gained traction, I think Douglas said something about it and then, last week, a group of organized supporters from Minas ("Torcida Independente") disclosed that they will not support Maurício as a player from Minas during this season. They said they won't boo him or anything, but they'll refrain to cheer for him during matches, won't celebrate his points, stuff like that.

Well, this week, Minas released sort of a hot and cold official note, saying they were aware of Maurício's behavior, and would look into it. But then, Minas' two main sponsors, Fiat and Gerdau (big industrial companies) also released notes, in a harsher tone, saying they won't condone his attitude, and that they're waiting for Minas to handle this properly.

What now? Apparently, Minas decided to let Maurício go (it's unofficial still), but the players are supporting him and stood against this decision. It seems William, as captain, spoke on behalf of the group - Maique included, it was highlighted - and seems to have threatened the club that the players would leave the team too in case Maurício is fired. Wow. It seems the team is meeting about now to discuss this matter. It all seems hearsay, but it was reported by reliable media in Brazil. I'm actually shocked this is happening.

• I wonder how those cheap average-level players will be able to pay fines to the club if they all leave and where they are gonna play lol this part is actually funny. Who do they think they are?

• Minas could've avoided this from the beginning. If this blows over their face, all I can do is laugh. This team can rot. Fuck Brazilian athletes for being stupid ass bigots, fuck everyone involved.

• I saw reactions on social media on this by Douglas, Fabi and Carol Gattaz as well as the Brazilian Twitter accounts indeed. I read the teammates of Maurico want to leave too is he has to leave? Pathetic behavior

Did Douglas and Maurício play in the same team last year?

• I saw reactions on social media on this by Douglas, Fabi and Carol Gattaz as well as the Brazilian Twitter accounts indeed. I read the teammates of Maurico want to leave too is he has to leave? Pathetic behavior

Did Douglas and Maurício play in the same team last year?

They did. I hope Mauricio won't get called back to the NT anymore so that Douglas finally gets rid of him.

• This Natal team new? Why is Thales playing with them? No top team can afford him?

It's the old Taubaté, they lost most of their money.

• Minas has officially suspended Mauricio Souza for indefinite time and he will have to pay a fine and provide a public apology.

• I'm confused what Maique's stance is because idk if google translate is doing it correctly. lol

So is he part of the group of players saying they'll leave Minas if Mauricio is fired?

• I'm confused what Maique's stance is because idk if google translate is doing it correctly. lol

So is he part of the group of players saying they'll leave Minas if Mauricio is fired?

He said he is not. Honorato and William (who allegedly started the riot in favor of Mauricio) also said they are not part of this and that there was no such thing as a letter. I think the journalist got a wrong info from someone wanting to screw him lol

• Now there are a couple of players from Minas (namely Honorato and William) coming forward saying they never signed any letter, contrary to what's being reported in the media. I honestly don't know who to believe. It seems reasonable that they never signed anything, but it also smells of PR retraction, so...

ETA: Sidney beat me to it

• He said he is not. Honorato and William (who allegedly started the riot in favor of Mauricio) also said they are not part of this and that there was no such thing as a letter. I think the journalist got a wrong info from someone wanting to screw him lol

I had a feeling. Maique of all people/volleyball gays supporting Mauricio's homophobic views, that don't make sense.

nick-young-question-marks.gif

• I hope to see Mauricio out and I don’t expect any less than that. He did a fucking crime by being an homophobic prick (loud and clear!) and I don’t think a suspension is enough to deal with the whole thing.

Also I really like the idea of involving sponsors in the middle of situations such as that. The Publix pressure on Fiat and Gerdau was vital for Minas to change their position about this case.

• I read his apologies and I really thought that was a fake account making some kind of joke||

• Righr?! He apologized to his 52 followers on Twitter. It seems that this is some kind of joke to him.

I read his apologies and I really thought that was a fake account making some kind of joke||

Honestly, very bizarre. I couldn't even find his twitter post initially. I only found it on Instagram, after people started talking about it. He said absolutely nothing on his Instagram, where he has almost 260 thousand followers. The initial story from Demétrio Vecchioli said Maurício might be anticipating to run a candidacy in next year's election. He's super close to the Bolsonaro family, so I'm sure he'd get elected to the Congress easily.

I had a feeling. Maique of all people/volleyball gays supporting Mauricio's homophobic views, that don't make sense.

nick-young-question-marks.gif

Maique has been controversial in the past. Right now I don't remember exactly what he said, but he went to a live interview with Bruno Voloch (a controversial journalist himself) and he said something that didn't sit too well eighter with the black or with the LGBTQ community. I think he was name dropped initially to assure that the group was completely behind Maurício, but as the guys said, he has already denied it. I imagine he'll be able to clarify the situation with Maurício better next Thursday, cause he'll give a live interview to the guys from WebVôlei.

Genius of the Sky

Please refer to post 21 from this thread to get a better context of this situation with Maurício and the Instagram posts.

Ok, and now the plot thickens... As Sidney and Saishu said, William was one of the people who came forward, denying the truthness in the original story from Demétrio Vecchioli. Now William is even threatening to sue Demétrio. Last but not least, a printscreen from an old post with homephobic remarks from William resurfaced.

I don't know, guys. As Sidney said, maybe Demétrio got a bad clue. But he's usually reliable. And William is another Bolsonaro supporter, you wouldn't believe the audacity of some of the things he endorses in this profile. And now, this printscreet, so... ?( That's all for today, folks.