Brazil - Superliga 2021/2022

• Maique has been controversial in the past. Right now I don't remember exactly what he said, but he went to a live interview with Bruno Voloch (a controversial journalist himself) and he said something that didn't sit too well eighter with the black or with the LGBTQ community. I think he was name dropped initially to assure that the group was completely behind Maurício, but as the guys said, he has already denied it. I imagine he'll be able to clarify the situation with Maurício better next Thursday, cause he'll give a live interview to the guys from WebVôlei.

The problem with Maique iirc is that he said he wouldn't "levantar a bandeira" (how do you even say this in English? "take a stance"? "fly the flag", literally?) in regards to LGBT issues, which was very tone-deaf to say the least. He has since then retracted that, thankfully. He had never been as outspoken as Douglas, but it seems he's coming around to it.

• One good thing coming out from this whole situation is that a few players especially some LGBTQIA+ have finally been addressing these matters. Carol Gattaz has rarely talked about this before and also Sheilla is at least clearly standing against Mauricio.

• The problem with Maique iirc is that he said he wouldn't "levantar a bandeira" (how do you even say this in English? "take a stance"? "fly the flag", literally?) in regards to LGBT issues, which was very tone-deaf to say the least. He has since then retracted that, thankfully. He had never been as outspoken as Douglas, but it seems he's coming around to it.

I think we can say "wave the flag"... ;)

But yes, that's it. Thanks for clarifying it... These days, there's so many issues that it's hard to keep track of it all.

Anyways, I think there's some good there will come out of all this, as Sidney mentioned... It's so important to bring visibility to this matter. Now suddenly everybody kinda feels compelled, or even demanded to, take a stance on the matter. Today Renan dal Zotto was the one who had to address it. He didn't say anything meaningful, pretty much that he'll "need to figure this out as how this affects the NT". But people are talking about this, even if it makes them uncomfortable. I think Minas will still have to address the "half-assed" apology from Maurício. This is far from over.

• Sorry for a dumb question, but is Brazil that politicized as a country so your sportspeople have so much audacity to share their twisted to say the least views publicly? Because we as Poland are very divided due to political reasons internally, to the level that there's a group of people that believes that our former president was killed in an assassination orchestrated by Russia and Poland back in 2010, not in an accident :gone:- but yet I don't think any NTs player is that noisy about their feelings in a political matter. Obviously, there are some examples from other disciplines, there's also Kubiak (although his xenophobic rant was an effect of on-court events), but I read regularly all of yours posts and you're well-aware of players' political views like Mauricio or William, I also see some supportive comments on Mauricio's Instagram regarding his rant from Sidao: I know a whole context of Bolsonaro's rise etc. but I really wonder if this is just some exception due to some volleyball players engaged politically with far-right, or this is how you discuss things nationally with people so much engaged in general.

Btw. there's almost nothing better than a concept of a free speech, and yet there's almost nothing worse than people that justify their/others hateful comments by the cover of a right to express a free opinion.

Regarding a volleyball, there are finally some stats (Renata-Sesi) and it's pity that Lucao didn't want to move abroad due to personal reasons, because it's such a waste to see him playing in a team like that (they'll be fine, but he's still at the top).

• IMO: I'm not sure if we are a politicized country. These guys have zero clue what politics mean. They just want to vomit their prejudices towards minorities and that's it. They don't like diversity, don't want to see social justice and don't want to progress because they want to maintain the status quo. Our country entered in this far-right mess as soon as poor people started to have some perspective or as soon as social programs started to increase. There is a famous saying here that is: the rich people started to get mad when the doorman's son went to college or when the maid could afford a flight ticket. These guys use the "free speech" concept to say any bullshit they want, but there are (or at least should be) some rules and laws. Homophobia and transphobia is a crime in Brazil.

• M17 has just been fired!:super: This episode will at least make these players think a lit bit more before posting bullshit on the internet.

• TODAY IS A GREAT DAY.

• Renan dal Zotto closes the doors of the Brazilian NT to Maurício Souza.

In a new interview, the coach says that "this type of conduct by Mauricio is inadmissible and that in the Brazilian team there is no room for homophobic professionals".

On Tuesday night, he was surprised by the information of the player's removal by the club, when sought by O Globo. He said he would "find out about the matter" and, this Wednesday, he answered the report again:

O Globo: Why did you want to be more forceful?

Renan dal Zotto: As it is an extremely relevant matter, I tried to find out about the case in detail in order to express myself. And I was disappointed. This type of conduct by Maurício is unacceptable and I am radically against any kind of prejudice, homophobia, racism. When it comes to the Brazilian team, there is no room for homophobic professionals. Above all I need to have a team and I can't have this kind of controversy in the group. I'm not just referring to the cast of athletes. It is general for all professionals.

What did you think of Douglas' statements about the case?

He has become a great reference for the LGBT community and wants to raise this banner. I think it's cool and supportive. All I can say is that Douglas does everything from his heart. He is exactly as he shows himself, spontaneous.

Was there any disagreement between them at the Olympics in Tokyo?

There was never anything like that. I wouldn't even allow it. What happened was Douglas boom on social media. We were very happy with the success he achieved. And at no point did your posts get in the way of his performance.

How can this episode affect the Brazilian team?

Will not affect. There's no one called up yet. I am sorry for the controversy. This is a hot topic and needs to be talked about. You can't admit this type of episode again.

• I'm surprised by some of Renan's remarks.

• LOL, I always think of these guys when celebrating something like that::dance4:

Maurício finally posted something on his Instagram and, as we could expect, it was the same old bs. He played the poor martir, who "can't speak about his opinions" because of "us" (? :roll:) and that we "won". Imediately after that, Minas fired him.

Now the question becomes: who's gonna be willing to hire him? He said he's sure he'll be easily hired by another team, but which team would want to hire such a trainwreck? Besides, from the money POV, I think only Sada or Renata could get him, but they're obviously with their rosters already set. Most probably he'll go abroad.

Sorry for a dumb question, but is Brazil that politicized as a country so your sportspeople have so much audacity to share their twisted to say the least views publicly? Because we as Poland are very divided due to political reasons internally, to the level that there's a group of people that believes that our former president was killed in an assassination orchestrated by Russia and Poland back in 2010, not in an accident :gone:- but yet I don't think any NTs player is that noisy about their feelings in a political matter. Obviously, there are some examples from other disciplines, there's also Kubiak (although his xenophobic rant was an effect of on-court events), but I read regularly all of yours posts and you're well-aware of players' political views like Mauricio or William, I also see some supportive comments on Mauricio's Instagram regarding his rant from Sidao: I know a whole context of Bolsonaro's rise etc. but I really wonder if this is just some exception due to some volleyball players engaged politically with far-right, or this is how you discuss things nationally with people so much engaged in general.

Btw. there's almost nothing better than a concept of a free speech, and yet there's almost nothing worse than people that justify their/others hateful comments by the cover of a right to express a free opinion.

Regarding a volleyball, there are finally some stats (Renata-Sesi) and it's pity that Lucao didn't want to move abroad due to personal reasons, because it's such a waste to see him playing in a team like that (they'll be fine, but he's still at the top).

Very interesting points you've made... Actually, I'd love to hear more about the Polish reality in the proper thread.

About your question, I agree with everything Sidney said and would add a couple things. In this time we're living in Brazil, a lot of voices have been raising to speak their minds, in a variety of sectors. Unfortunately in sports we find one of the most depoliticized fields, if not the most. In volleyball, I find the athletes cannot even organize themselves to achieve common goals for the improvement of the Superliga. But when they discover there's been corruption in the administration of CBV, everybody's ready to throw a hissy fit. (No one's ready to step up and assume some leadership. :roll:)

I just think in Brazil, at least ever since our former president (Dilma Rousseff) was impeached in 2016, the political division in the society became extreme. So, for some players, as for some people who never cared about politics before, it became "trendy" to associate themselves to a certain political group - almost inevitably the far right, because to them it seemed cool to advertise themselves as against corruption (as if the other people was not) and assert themselves as Christian, traditional people, who's usually racist, homophobic and mysogynist, but act offended when they're called that.

And, in Brazil, volleyball particularly seems to attract a certain group of people from the middle class that are privileged enough to get access to some Education, but at the same time, unwilling to break the surface of it. So it's very usual, when I'm outside the bubble of volleyball, in a political context, among people considered "liberal" (in the US sense), to hear something like: "Volleyball again? What did they do this time? Who's gonna be the next Ana Paula Henkel, Fernanda Venturini or Maurício Souza?".

Coming back to volleyball... ^^ (So sorry mods, I get carried away sometimes, but I promise I'll behave. Last night I was almost kicked from a volleyball chatroom, cause I kept bringing politics back to the subject, but I can't help it, they're like my 2 favorite subjects...) I think most people right now agree that Lucão is in one of the best moments of his career. But also he's the guy who hates to leave his comfort zone. I was a fan of him until like 2013, 2014... IMO he's the best MB attacker in the world... But I feel he takes it for granted, so he kind of gave up trying to improve in block and achieve some consistency in his serve. The current moment, I don't know, it feels like it just "came to him". I couldn't imagine him moving to some foreign league to challenge himself at this point. His only abroad experience, in Modena, was with his best setter-best-pal-son's-godfather right beside him. So, I'm kinda checked off him... And I feel Isac is the same, alas...

• Man… I only joined this thread recently and it has already been the biggest rollercoaster ride, and it has only been like 2-3 days. 😂

I am surprised by Renan’s remark about Douglas. The NT wouldn’t lose anything. They still have The Big 3 OH, and another young talent coming up.

• I am so happy that Mauricio was fired, a public apology wouldn’t be enough for me. The guy is a prick, human trash. Yesterday he was allegedly rethinking his conduct and today, after being kicked out, he said that Minas has no fault in the whole thing, but that the “turma da lacração” are the ones to blame.

On a side note, we can notice how Brazil, in general, still seem to be moving backwards as a society. It is nice that we got him fired, sure, but Mauricio has now 550K followers on Instagram (i think he had less than 200K before the whole thing started).

• SESI is currently unbeaten in the league and they've also just beaten Sada 3-1 in an away match. :what:

Very surprising, indeed! After they let their 6-point lead in the second set slip away, I thought they would come back in the 3rd set with their guard down, but that's not what it happened at all. Tonight they totally outblocked Sada (16 x 7) and the difference in the opposites performances also tells a lot: Darlan had 27 points with 61% of efficiency while Wallace had only 13 points (less than half!) and 40% of efficiency. I'm also quite impressed by Birigui. SESI is the biggest surprise of the competition.

• Well, Cruzeiro went from a proven champion coach to an unproven one.. that was bound to happen... Congrats SESI, I'm not a fan of Anderson but it seems that he's doing a good job

• Yeah, Sada just does not look as dominant as they used to. They might pull themselves together and win the league in the end fairly comfortably now that Taubaté is gone, sure, but at this point I think it's wide open. SESI has been a nice surprise though and they might actually end up in the G4, which seemed undoable before the league began lol

• Also, I know this already gets talked to exhaustion everywhere, but Cachopa just ain't it, isn't he? I think Resley outplayed him by a huge margin tonight, but he's still just okay at best. We desperately need someone new, young, talented and preferably tall (asking for much I guess lmao) to come up soon to take over from Bruno. Right now there's just no one. Not Cachopa, not Resley, not Carísio, not Brasília, not Gustavo...