Russian NT 2021

• I wish they had brought an old setter either Grankin or Butko for when the starter chokes;(

nah these two especially Grankin is way over their prime now. With how the game of volleyball have become so physical, these two will drown. They cant even carry their club teams now. Also Butko have been a choker king lately.

besides there is really no need to depend on these veterans when they dont bring anything to the game besides their potential “experience”.

• Well, this loss hurts, but not so much because of the almost near-comeback of Russia.

Sammelvuo needs to make this team better and be ready for WCh at home and Paris 2024.

OH: I like Volkov, but he's a choker... so, Russia needs new OHs on the bench. Semyshev, Voronkov, or even Tethyukin Jr could be great options. Yaroslav, Volkov, and Kliuka must stay.

MB: Well, I hope this is Volvich's last tournament. Vlasov and Lyzik should be the four MBs along with Iakovlev and Kurkaev.

S: Pankov, Kobzar, and Abaev should fight for the two spots.

Op: Hope Maxim continues... Poletaev is good, but he's not Russian NT material IMO. I mean, Russia needs an opposite that kills OOS balls... Sammelvuo should prepare Klets (2.10) and Sapozhkov (2.20) for the role if he wants to be a gold-medal contender in Paris :win:

L: I. Fedorov.

• Euro Champ is in less than a month,

ideally keeping these 12 players is the best thing but I wouldnt be surprised if some skip it since it has been a long season for some.

We are back to 14 players in the roster so it will be interesting who gets added. Obviously another libero but will they bring another Middle or maybe a spiker?

• What do you guys think about Kovalev getting a call back to NT? He has a good block same with Pankov and jump floats.. Admittedly he did not have a good club season, I prefer him over Pankov

• What do you guys think about Kovalev getting a call back to NT? He has a good block same with Pankov and jump floats.. Admittedly he did not have a good club season, I prefer him over Pankov

he brings a good contrast to Kobzar and Pankov game its just that his condition and health have been questionable that really brought down his level especially his consistency

• Euro Champ is in less than a month,

ideally keeping these 12 players is the best thing but I wouldnt be surprised if some skip it since it has been a long season for some.

We are back to 14 players in the roster so it will be interesting who gets added. Obviously another libero but will they bring another Middle or maybe a spiker?

I think Vlasov and Semyshev will return. IDK if Maxim will skip the ECh.

• I second that!!

I just can't talk much about Ilya Fedorov cause I've only seen him play once or twice...

• Why don't you guys trust Poletaev to be Maxim's successor? 2019 was his best season, and no other Opp came close. I think if he can recover and be 100% he is more than able to be the team's main Opp.. With that said, I think Maxim should skip ECH and preserve his body for WCH next year let Poletaev be the main opp and get either one of Klets/Sapozkhov as backup.

• You are right! Maybe because we haven't see how his performance and at the same time Mikha always delivered. But sure, Polataev needs chance too.

• They should let Maxim rest for ECh. Give Poletaev his time. Maxim won’t have good successor if Russia refuse to let others start. Focus on Yakovlev - Kurkaev duo. These Russian Twin Tower arguably the best MB duos right now. Bring back Semsyhev since Volkov always choke. Try another setter because both of the setters seem to lack one thing the other have. Most importantly, GET A NEW LIBERO.

• Why don't you guys trust Poletaev to be Maxim's successor? 2019 was his best season, and no other Opp came close. I think if he can recover and be 100% he is more than able to be the team's main Opp.. With that said, I think Maxim should skip ECH and preserve his body for WCH next year let Poletaev be the main opp and get either one of Klets/Sapozkhov as backup.

Well, I've nothing against Poletaev, but he's short and can't kill out of system balls. Well, I hope he develops a lot for sure, but if he fails, it's better to have replacements. As you said, Sammelvuo can try putting Klets as Poletaev's backup in VNL and Ech.

BTW, I think the same players of Tokyo 2020 will play the next WCh at home. Maybe Bogdan won't.

• Confirmed: Mikhaylov won't play the ECh

The opposites on the wide roster are Poletaev, Zhigalov, Klets, and Papazov.

• Good news!

There's no need for him to play ECh and we also need Poletaev to get more playing time.

In 2019 he was flying, you are right, but past season he was nowhere near, so we can just hope he returns to that level and maybe even excel - learning how to deal with high balls.

I hope they choose Klets as sub for Each, but Zhigalov is also acceptable.

• If Russia reaches the Finals and manage to lose it this year's ECH, I think Sammelvuo needs to be replaced to break the bridesmaid curse :wavy:

• Besides Mikhaylov, I think Volvich and one of Kliuka/Volkov may skip ECH to evaluate and give chance to the others. Golubev should not be allowed to join the team with a ten foot pole (sorry, not sorry).

My ECH roster:

S: Kobzar, Pankov

OPP: Poletaev, Klets

MB: Iakovlev, Kurkaev, Vlasov

OH: Voronkov (replacing Kliuka), Semsyshev (replacing Volkov), Podlesnykh, Bogdan

L: Melkozerov, Baranov

Since we are back to 14 spots, there is one extra player slot. They can bring a total newbie to make their debut in NT either an MB (Lyzik) or OH (Tetyukhin JR).

• The roster has been announced

• ^ Welp, actually I think this is just the training pool. They will only be bringing 14 to the European Championships, so I guess one of them will get cut. Don't quote me on this, though, I just used Google Translate 😅

https://www.volley.ru/news/24854/