Russian NT 2021

• The wide roster was announced today:

S: Butko, Kobzar, Pankov, Kovalev

Op: Mikhaylov, Musersky, Poletaev, Zhigalov

MB: Vlasov, Volvich, Kurkaev, Yakovlev, Lyzik, Likhosherstov

Oh: Volkov, Kliuka, Voronkov, Semyshev, Bogdan, Podlesnykh, Savin, Surmachevskyi

L: Golubev, Baranov, Melkozerov

No Grankin, no Obmochaev, and no Camejo.

cgtkPMpJ9Y4.jpg?size=1054x702&quality=96&sign=0bdcfd88e3789006cac4366d6347198c&type=album

Source: https://sport.business-gazeta.ru/article/264506

• Below is the wide roster for Russia NT 2021 squad

Setters: Butko, Kobzar, Kovalev, Pankov

Opposite: Zhigalov, Mikhailov, Muserskiy, Poletaev

Middle Blockers: Vlasov, Volvich, Kurkaev, Likhoshertov, Lyzik, Yakovlev

Outside Hitters: Bogdan, Volkov, Voronkov, Klyuka, Podlesnykh, Savin, Semyshev, Surmachevsky

Libero: Baranov, Golubev, Melkozerov

*Players in bold I believe will be starting 6

Some thoughts:

- For setters, Grankin and Abaev were not included, both are at the extreme end age-wise so I feel this is cut is understandable

- Muserskiy listed as OPP!, Poletaev chances of making it to Tokyo greatly depends on his VNL 2021 performance

- Yakovlev-Kurkaev is a pretty strong MB duo, maybe they can take Muserskiy as third MB (and Poletaev will be Maxim's backup). (Pashitskiy not invited)

- For OHs, Russia surprisingly has a variety of options. Volkov and Kliuka will be titular of course, I would take one experienced OH, I would have preferred Sivhozelez instead of Savin

Overall I think Russia is one of the 3 or 4 teams who can win Gold in OG. Can't wait for NT season :cheesy: Kobzar-Pankov duo to Tokyo! (wishful thinking)

• I wanted to see Obmochaev on that list :down:

Ps: We created the same topic :rolll:

Pls some moderator, attach my post to this.

• I wanted to see Obmochaev on that list :down:

I agree, sad not to see him on the list. Obmochaev was better than, say Golubev this past season. I'm afraid Golibev will be the main libero (which will be a disaster) since the other two lack international experience

• -I wanted Abaev to make the wide roster but i think he plays very similar to Pankov/Kobzar which cancels him out. Butko and Kovalev atleast brings different setting tempo. But Abaev has the making of a great NT captain. He is still young so I think he will shine next quad.

-Super happy with the decision of Musersyky being tried out at the opposite. With how subpar Poletaev played plus his injuries, he will need to prove himself at VNL.

-Middle is spot on. Kurkaev, Yakovlev, Vlasov, Likhoshertov were the best MBs during the season.

-Clearly Surmachevsky will be used as a serving sub since he played that role really well during the season and has a mean serve.

I have to say I'm impressed with Sammelvuo's player selection unlike the women's side.

• Just to confirm how many players can they bring at the bubble? Is it 18, 21 or 28? I know they can add 6 players at the later stage.

Not sure how many, but Sammelvuo and co will only bring 16-18 players to VNL, so as many as 9 players from the extended roster will not make the cut.

• I think Kovalev, Zhigalov, Likhosherstov, Savin, and Surmachevskiy will be out. Some of them just aren't NT material.

• -Super happy with the decision of Musersyky being tried out at the opposite. With how subpar Poletaev played plus his injuries, he will need to prove himself at VNL.

I have mixed emotions with Muserskiy playing OPP. He showed excellent numbers in Japan yes, but Japanese block is of course nowhere near the best. Against top teams, I fear Muserskiy will not that be effective since he will be slower due to his size and mostly likely his age. In ECH 2019, we saw Muserksiy as MB and he didn't play too great add another 2 years to today.. Good thing we have VNL to see if this will pay off..

Speaking of VNL, I think this will be Vlasov's litmus test if he can finally break though to the A Team. He had a great club season, but his past stints with the NT were not really successful. I hope he can finally make it :box:

• Andreev from Zenit SP wasn't called up? I guess there's no point in getting too many liberos, but I thought he wasn't that bad. Was Melkozerov really good this season?

Actually, Andreev and Melkozerov both played in Zenit SP. They are like twins :rolll:. Andreev played the last final of CEV Cup, and Melkozerov played the F6 (he got Covid and couldn't play the CEV Cup).

• I have mixed emotions with Muserskiy playing OPP. He showed excellent numbers in Japan yes, but Japanese block is of course nowhere near the best. Against top teams, I fear Muserskiy will not that be effective since he will be slower due to his size and mostly likely his age. In ECH 2019, we saw Muserksiy as MB and he didn't play too great add another 2 years to today.. Good thing we have VNL to see if this will pay off..

Speaking of VNL, I think this will be Vlasov's litmus test if he can finally break though to the A Team. He had a great club season, but his past stints with the NT were not really successful. I hope he can finally make it :box:

I mean Sammelvuo have to test Musersky because aside from Mikhailov and Poletaev, there is really no one to choose from. Zhigalov is an Ok player but not outstanding. There is definitely scarcity of good opposite player to choose from in Russia.

Vlasov will be playing side by side with most of his club teammates with Pankov setting so hopefully that will help. I'm just so impressed that Sammelvuo actually included Likhosherstov. He is definitely an upgraded version of Volvich.

• Actually, Andreev and Melkozerov both played in Zenit SP. They are like twins :rolll:. Andreev played the last final of CEV Cup, and Melkozerov played the F6 (he got Covid and couldn't play the CEV Cup).

I thought that Andreev played most of of Zenit SP's matches throughout the season, but maybe I'm mistaken. Maybe Sammelvuo never forgave him after the 2nd CEV Cup final for all those aces Dynamo Moscow got off him ... :gone:

• I have mixed emotions with Muserskiy playing OPP. He showed excellent numbers in Japan yes, but Japanese block is of course nowhere near the best. Against top teams, I fear Muserskiy will not that be effective since he will be slower due to his size and mostly likely his age. In ECH 2019, we saw Muserksiy as MB and he didn't play too great add another 2 years to today.. Good thing we have VNL to see if this will pay off..

Musersky was kinda injured in 2019 and now it seems he's in better shape. I think it'll be such a waste having him on the bench so he should go as MB/Opp. I know he's slow at blocking, but his attacks are too effective.

I mean Sammelvuo have to test Musersky because aside from Mikhailov and Poletaev, there is really no one to choose from. Zhigalov is an Ok player but not outstanding. There is definitely scarcity of good opposite player to choose from in Russia.

IMO, Klets at least deserved a call, but he was injured the first half of the season so that reduced his chances :(. He is better than Zhigalov without a doubt.

I thought that Andreev played most of of Zenit SP's matches throughout the season, but maybe I'm mistaken. Maybe Sammelvuo never forgave him after the 2nd CEV Cup final for all those aces Dynamo Moscow got off him ... :gone:

Sammelvuo switched them a lot. As far as I remember, Melkozerov was on reception and Andreev on defense.

• Musersky was kinda injured in 2019 and now it seems he's in better shape. I think it'll be such a waste having him on the bench so he should go as MB/Opp. I know he's slow at blocking, but his attacks are too effective.

Totally agree with this. We cant deny how effective Musersky attack is. And i miss watching him playing as Opp in NT.

• With so many stars in this Russian squad, Sammelvuo needs to be careful to establish who are his "main" players, and who will play the role as backup/substitutes. Assuming both Kobzar and Pankov go, will he make Kobzar the main tie-in? Will Mikhaylov start over Muserskiy/Poleaev? He needs to be careful not to rotate the players more than what is needed, I think this was one of the biggest criticism of him during ECH 2019, Russia didn't establish a clear 'starting six'.

• With so many stars in this Russian squad, Sammelvuo needs to be careful to establish who are his "main" players, and who will play the role as backup/substitutes. Assuming both Kobzar and Pankov go, will he make Kobzar the main tie-in? Will Mikhaylov start over Muserskiy/Poleaev? He needs to be careful not to rotate the players more than what is needed, I think this was one of the biggest criticism of him during ECH 2019, Russia didn't establish a clear 'starting six'.

He can mix up guys when playing with weaker teams but I think he needs to use the main players against teams like USA, Italy or Brazil.

I don't know but my gut feeling is that only one of Pankov or Kobzar is going and will be paired with the winner between Butko and Kovalev. It just makes sense to bring 2 different setters with different setting tempo instead on 2 who are very similar.