Russian NT 2021

• I think it's Volvich, and last one should be Yakovlev unless he still has injury problems. Muserskiy doesn't look too good in the middle, I prefer him as OPP if Poletaev is not healthy. IMO it would be nice to see both Kurkaev and Vlasov but I feel like it won't happen ?(

yakovlev - kurkaev are quite good duo imo. but vlasov & volvich are doing good too. russia is so lucky to have this “problem” 😂

• IMO, Yaroslav guaranteed his spot yesterday against Brazil. I don't see Bogdan going to Tokyo, so the other spot is between Semyshev and Voronkov (now that he's a Zenit SP player :rolll:).

About the MBs, I think it'll be hard for Sammelvuo to pick, but I hope that he prefers the best blockers over the best attackers. In a perfect world, Vlasov, Yakovlev, and Kurkalev should go to Tokyo, but we all know that Volvich will go, and actually, I'm fine with that :lol:. Vlasov and Volvich are the only healthy MBs (Kurkaev had a little injury yesterday), so maybe the coach will prefer them :call:.

BTW, Muserky's agent said that Dmitry is fine and he'll fight for a spot. I think he could go as 2nd Opp since Maxim will play the whole OG. Yaroslav could be useful as serve sub if someone misses Poletaev's services :rolll:

• Kobzar and Pankov will probably share playing time, the libero as expected is the weakest link in the team, and Max due to his great form will be a firm starter.

OH: Besides Kliuka-Volkov (both irregular), Podlesnykh should be selected as he is a more balanced player. I personally would also call Voronkov mainly to help in reception, but I highly doubt it. Bogdan will probably be selected, and I even think he may be ahead of Podlesnykh in Sammelvuo's ranking, which is weird because I don't think he played that well ( Still my crush though :rose: ) I don't see Semyshev coming back either.

MB: This is the most difficult decision. Firstly, we can't assess Yakovlev's current condition, but in normal conditions, he should take one spot. Vlasov, improved A LOT his blocking skills, Kurkaev got better throughout the tournament and Volvich showed more versatility. I know People dislike Volvich, and before VNL I wouldn't have put him in contention too, but he proved his worth and to me, especially his consistent floating service is a plus, something the team lacks and that can bring stability when the team starts to recklessly make serve errors.
    In all fairness, all of them deserve for different reasons, so I won't be mad at any choice. I would lean more towards Vlasov, Volvich and either Kurkaev/Yakovlev cause they are more alike.

And then there is Musrskiy. It is weird cause at the same time that I believe he is incredible, he didn't show it, and I don't really know where he can fit in this team. Poletaev also fell short of expectation again.

Let's wait and see now. There might also be 3 OPPs and 3 OHs, so to accommodate Muserskiy and Poletaev. Sport Gazzetta also rumoured to bring 2 liberos and 3 OHs which hopefully won't happen.

• Sport Gazzetta also rumoured to bring 2 liberos and 3 OHs which hopefully won't happen.

this is most likely going to happen especially with how inconsistent Volkov and Kliuka in serve-receive. Podlesnykh isnt better IMO but atleast more balance so more than ever we”ll need a 4th OH as a defensive player.

Russia has brought a libero as the 4th OH in the past 2 olympics because they know traditionally passing/ digging is their weakness. We also dont have the best libero right now so he’ll want all the help he can get defending at the back.

• this is most likely going to happen especially with how inconsistent Volkov and Kliuka in serve-receive. Podlesnykh isnt better IMO but atleast more balance so more than ever we”ll need a 4th OH as a defensive player.

Russia has brought a libero as the 4th OH in the past 2 olympics because they know traditionally passing/ digging is their weakness. We also dont have the best libero right now so he’ll want all the help he can get defending at the back.

I thought that they would at least try one VNL match with both Baranov and Golubev on the court at the same time (especially after Semyshev left) but that didn't happen at all. There seems to be the most question marks about which 12 will be selected for olympics for this NT, compared to the other teams like Brazil, USA, France and Poland, especially because of all the injury problems.

At the beginning of VNL we could guess that Kobzar-Pankov, MikhaiIov and Volkov-Kliuka are locks. But now that VNL has ended for them there is still no real answer at any of the other positions (besides Volvich?) I really hope they don't mess up the selection because of coach bias or anything.

• Is there a chance for Kerminen to switch federations with Sammelvuo's influence?

In the next quad or a half, Butko or Camejo aren't gonna be considered anymore.

I don't see the how the libero problem will be solved after olympics so they need to tackle it now so Kerminen can play in Paris.

It's not like Kerminen plays for a strong NT and it'll help him find more stronger clubs in Russia. Honestly, it's a win-win situation for him.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I don't see the how the libero problem will be solved after olympics so they need to tackle it now so Kerminen can play in Paris.

It's not like Kerminen plays for a strong NT and it'll help him find more stronger clubs in Russia. Honestly, it's a win-win situation for him.

I think I. Fedorov from the youth categories will be the new star of the Russian NT in Paris. He was the best libero in WC U19 2019 and EC U20 2020 and he'll be the second libero of Zenit Kazan next season, so you guys could watch him play and judge. He could even be in the WCh at home if Verbov gives him playing time. BTW, it's not like some Russian coach made him good... I think he was born being a libero :rolll:

• I think I. Fedorov from the youth categories will be the new star of the Russian NT in Paris. He was the best libero in WC U19 2019 and EC U20 2020 and he'll be the second libero of Zenit Kazan next season, so you guys could watch him play and judge. He could even be in the WCh at home if Verbov gives him playing time. BTW, it's not like some Russian coach made him good... I think he was born being a libero :rolll:

Fedorov gives me the "I got this" vibes same with Arina. He could very well be the next Grebennikov if he develops well and gets integrated to the NT so he can have more experience.

• You still need a fail-safe plan.

Fedorov is still a big "if" in NT. Russia needs a finished product and shouldn't be going off based on potential alone.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• You still need a fail-safe plan.

Fedorov is still a big "if" in NT. Russia needs a finished product and shouldn't be going off based on potential alone.

Goncha's ex? They could even try Melkozerov but they brought Golubev instead who had a tragic season in kazan

• The problem with Kerminen is that he is not much better - For me, he didn't have a good season in Moskow. Hopefully, one of the youngsters will develop and present a decent level.

A dream would be Grebennikov's naturalisation, but that won't happen :lol: I am just mentioning it because he said in an interview that he is happy to play in Russia cause that has always been his desire since his childhood times, and that he was a typical Russian kid that dreamt about playing for the NT.

• My Russian NT Tokyo lineup prediction:

Setters: Igor Kobzar, Pasha Pankov

MBs: Volvich, Kurkaev, Vlasov

Opposites: Mikhaylov, Poletaev

Outsides: Kliuka, Volkov, Podlesnykh, Bogdan

Libero: Golubev

• I have almost the same lineup, except Yakovlev for Vlasov if the former is healthy, and I would bring a second libero as defensive OH as Bogdan is only there as serving sub anyway and there is already Yaroslav for this role.

• Maxim Mikhaylov, alongside Sofia Velikaya (Russian fencer), has been appointed as the flag bearer of Russia for the Olympic games

they'll do a parade of Nations?