Russian NT 2021

• One of Klets/Zhigalov will be cut. I hope they take Klets as Poletaev's backup.. It's finally time for Poletaev to show he got what it takes to be Maxim's successor :box:

• Also no Voronkov or Semyshev. I was hoping one of Klika/Volkov will skip ECH but oh well I guess they want to win ECH this year

• One of Klets/Zhigalov will be cut. I hope they take Klets as Poletaev's backup.. It's finally time for Poletaev to show he got what it takes to be Maxim's successor :box:

i rather them cut Volvich

Agree on this, they would likely keep Jenia Baranov switching Golubev if the latter underperforms. Hoping they would take Maksim Zhigalov though (as a Fakel fan 😁)

• Agree on this, they would likely keep Jenia Baranov switching Golubev if the latter underperforms. Hoping they would take Maksim Zhigalov though (as a Fakel fan 😁)

Golubev should never have been called for ECH, Sammelvuo does not have trust on his club's libero, Melkozerov. Actually he does not have trust in his own players (except for Kliuka and Yakovlev) even Kobzar he has little patience with and I don''t even want to talk about Poletaev :whistle:

• https://m.sport.business-gazeta.ru/news/267219

Poletaev will miss ECH due to injruy. No other details provided as to the type and/or extent of the injury. Some fans are theorizing Zenit SpB did not allow Poletaev to compete to preserve him for the upcoming club season. :what:

• Poletaev will miss ECH due to injruy. No other details provided as to the type and/or extent of the injury. Some fans are theorizing Zenit SpB did not allow Poletaev to compete to preserve him for the upcoming club season. :what:

Obviously I have no details, but there were moments throughout a tournament in Tokyo when we were wondering why Poletaev hasn't gotten a chance to play as a regular player (besides subs for serve), especially against USA when Mikhaylov was awful, and for pre-ECH camp three opposites were invited, so I do believe he's really not fully healthy, so it doesn't make sense to bring him for 2nd tier competition, considering how fragile he is health-wise.

He reminds me a lot of Wlazły in terms of potential/characteristic/health issues, and no matter how much I disliked Wlazły for not playing for Polish NT for 4 seasons, and retiring early as 31yo player, he can at least play professionally on decent level to his 40s due to this load management. I'm not saying Poletaev should do the same, but I wouldn't be suprised if his NT-career is similarly short.

• Man. I feel so bad for Poletaev. I am worried that he will be a has been that never really was.

To think he was considered Russia's "golden boy", he really was the biggest thing to come out from that generation but sadly he did not really live up to this.

• In light of Poletaev's injury, Semyshev was called in NT for preparation of ECH. I hope he won't get the boot this time after being called last minute :gone: Russia has now 5 OH, I don't think they will take all of them.. Podlesnykh could use a rest IMO I know his wife just had a newborn child :wavy:

• In light of Poletaev's injury, Semyshev was called in NT for preparation of ECH. I hope he won't get the boot this time after being called last minute :gone: Russia has now 5 OH, I don't think they will take all of them.. Podlesnykh could use a rest IMO I know his wife just had a newborn child :wavy:

Yes, I don't think he would be called last minute to be booted, so I expect one of the others OHs to be.

It is unfortunate for Poletaev again... The bright side is that we may be able to see how Klets display his game in the international stage. Although I think Zhigalov will be the starter, which would be understandable too as he is more experienced and did a good enough season.

• Yes, I don't think he would be called last minute to be booted, so I expect one of the others OHs to be.

It is unfortunate for Poletaev again... The bright side is that we may be able to see how Klets display his game in the international stage. Although I think Zhigalov will be the starter, which would be understandable too as he is more experienced and did a good enough season.

Based from the Russian fan comments I'm reading, the coaching staff are trying Kliuka to be an option as Opp, and only one of Klets/Zhigalov will make the cut, and that was one of the reasons Semyshev was called as he can replace Kliuka with his OH duties. I think this move makes sense, IIRC in the past Kliuka has played as Opp in Fakel in some of the games.

Re Poletaev, based from the grapevine lol he was supposed to be treated this summer for his injury, but the coaching staff got greedy (selfish?) and decided to still take Viktor in both VNL & OG as there was really no other viable option as Maxim's backup. I think this makes sense now, he is not really 100% healthy. I'm still on the Poletaev train, his time will come in the NT, maybe during the home WCH next year :win:

• IMO, between Bogdan and Zhigalov must be the cut. Idk if Klets is ready, but now we need some other options at the Opp position for the following years.

BTW, talking about the WCH next year, I just remember that both Baranov and Melkozerov will be on the bench the next club season since their clubs hired a foreing libero, so... Golubev will have no opponents in the libero position :gone: unless Verbov saves Russia and put Fedorov on the court :rolll:

• So officially, it is confirmed Kliuka will be play as Opp for ECH, only question mark is his backup. The fans' reaction to this news is mostly positive. Personally, as a Poletaev fan, this is worrisome he is now only the third option as Opp in the NT, and for the upcoming club season, he may likely sit out for Kliuka as the team's starting Opposite if he does not come back well from his injury.

• Semyshev has health issues and Voronkov will replace him.

https://sport.business-gazeta.ru/news/267467

I really don't buy this. If Semyshev was sick or not ready during training at his club, he would have refused the call to NT right away makes no sense to take him to the training camp if he was really injured. Sammelvuo and Semysyshev really don't have the best relationship I think. Poor Semyshev, I think among Russia's new OHs, in my opinion he has the biggest potential.

• I had high hopes too, but so far he hasn't lived up to the expectations.

Since his time in Belogorie, those "small" injuries would always come up, so...

I am also glad to see Voronkov back as I thought his non-friendly exit of Kazan could backfire on him.