Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2021-2022

• What’s weird is that they got a high school girl instead of someone with more experience. They already have Osaki and the HS girl who joined with Nishikawa to develop ?(

It's up in the air, maybe, whether she will play MB or OH? I think she's better than Osaki and Kashimura at MB (although shorter) but one never knows how well the Big Pants will fit

And Toray could still pick up one of a handful of good Uni MBs ripening on the vine as we speak

• Or OP like YOLO :box:

Does anyone here think that Kurogo might not come back? At least this year?

• I try to keep a running update of the IN/OUTs for the season on the Front page of this thread here -- if anyone is interested . I may poop out at some point

Up to this point we have (V1) incoming:

19 HS

14 Univ

14 transfers

10 Imports

I'm still trying to settle on start and end points of what counts as "this year" though :rolll:

But , basically , for example , 2020-2021 had 20+ High schoolers and 20+ Uni girls join.

Related is the total of IN/OUTs. I think it usually ramps up to around 80/80 (counting the folks who retire at the end of the season as "this year". Right now it is 57/55

• the olympics happened this year too so technically she did play but i don't know if that should count.

momii also hasn't played yet despite her being present at every game. its kinda sus

Takeshita said the Olympic squad should be completely demolished since it didn't work well so I assume Manabe also shares that pov.

I honestly don't know what's going on with Momii there hasn't been any updates whatsoever so I'm just gonna assume for now that she's also in poor condition

• Takeshita said the Olympic squad should be completely demolished since it didn't work well so I assume Manabe also shares that pov.

I honestly don't know what's going on with Momii there hasn't been any updates whatsoever so I'm just gonna assume for now that she's also in poor condition

I don't think 'demolishing' is necessary because we'll still see the same faces. Yamada, Mayu, Hayashi, Kobata are playing well. Koga just needs to prove she's recovered from that ankle injury and she'll be in the wide roster.

I'm not so worried about Momii not playing yet. I'm sure she's observing. JT's probably checking how far Shibata could go before she starts to crack. Hopefully we'll see her back in the lineup against NEC.

• I don't think 'demolishing' is necessary because we'll still see the same faces. Yamada, Mayu, Hayashi, Kobata are playing well. Koga just needs to prove she's recovered from that ankle injury and she'll be in the wide roster.

I'm not so worried about Momii not playing yet. I'm sure she's observing. JT's probably checking how far Shibata could go before she starts to crack. Hopefully we'll see her back in the lineup against NEC.

The demolishing applies mostly on the current aces - Koga and Kurogo. There's also that oil and water factor sitenoise mentioned. It's true that we may see the same faces and everyone knows who the current best players are but again that team was never a solid team to begin with.

Like sean1 suggested, it would be interesting if the current NT battled all the BCS just to see how they fare. But the all-stars event is apparently just for men now

• Aside from Koga, Mayu and Kobata the rest of them are up in the air.

Kurogo is especially questionable. Toray had a good season despite getting cockblocked by JT in the finals so no one can say they fell short in performance. But Kurogo started pulling tantrums ever since that practice match with China and wasn't able to keep up as an OP. So imo she can join whenever she wants to come back anytime since she is Toray's ace but she shouldn't be marketed as an ace in the NT because she's not nearly as stable as people thought. She has to prove that within the NT and not in the league.

• Aside from Koga, Mayu and Kobata the rest of them are up in the air.

Kurogo is especially questionable. Toray had a good season despite getting cockblocked by JT in the finals so no one can say they fell short in performance. But Kurogo started pulling tantrums ever since that practice match with China and wasn't able to keep up as an OP. So imo she can join whenever she wants to come back anytime since she is Toray's ace but she shouldn't be marketed as an ace in the NT because she's not nearly as stable as people thought. She has to prove that within the NT and not in the league.

Kurogo threw a tantrum because Nakada was forcing her to be what she can't be.

Anyway Kurogo isn't a rookie. It might be better if they send her to Italy or wherever and see if she throws another fit while playing with a totally different set of players. After all, the whole pouting and bitchface is mostly a European thing. Miyashita lost her chance to Tominaga but oh well

• Kurogo threw a tantrum because Nakada was forcing her to be what she can't be.

Anyway Kurogo isn't a rookie. It might be better if they send her to Italy or wherever and see if she throws another fit while playing with a totally different set of players. After all, the whole pouting and bitchface is mostly a European thing. Miyashita lost her chance to Tominaga but oh well

Miyashita only has 2 moods - aloof and crying her heart out. You will never see her pout, she also doesn't have an attitude

• 2021-2022 V.League Division 1 Standings

as of November 14, 2021

I tried to compute the sets ratio and points ratio cause vleague haven't provided them

There might be miscalculations as data are manually calculated!

Got to get to the star listing pdf page. They only round to two digits for sets and points ratio.

https://www.vleague.jp/round/detail/317

The first one on the left below the table.

• Kurogo was always driven in high school, and of course playing for Seitoku and winning was like a drug. Then going to play for the national team at a young age and finding that you are not as good as you think. Some players learn and improve. Some also want to go overseas.

The bad thing for Kurogo is that Mayu Ishikawa is a better all around player than she is. Ishikawa was a younger teammate in high school and now in her pro and national team career. On Toray she can kind of coast because the team as a whole is really good, but on the national team, she as the opposite becomes too much of the focus if Koga is not working.

She probably put a ton of pressure on herself to get Japan a medal in Tokyo, but those expectations after a VNL without the top teams of the European powers there was just wrong on her part.

If she takes a year off to get into a better mental state, I am all for it. She is still a good player, but sometimes having high expectations are too much. Achievable goals and then getting a little past those make things really enjoyable and fun.

• A lot will depend on whether Manabe assembles for Paris or immediate gratification

I think Koga, Yamada, and Momii are the safe ones. Koga continues to improve (it's remarkable), Yamada has fixed most everything I thought was going wrong with her (my apologies to her for doubting), and Momii has too much upside to ignore

I think Mayu is safe too but not as a full time starter. International teams will figure her out fast , and her defense isn't kick ass enough to compensate. Kobata has jumped the shark but there isn't really anyone better than her, so ....

Manabe might dig deep, looking for another Ebata. There's a lot of psychological stuff we know nothing about, but if you watch these players a lot you can see if they at least look smart and mature with team-leader-get-along-vibes action, along with skills ...

Megumi Fukasawa

Suzuna Kawasaki

Ami Takahashi

One high schooler, One Uni girl, one V2

• Honestly I'm not so sure about her taking so long. The reality would be that if she did take a year off, time would be completely against her. For example someone like Nishikawa gets into the roster and grows by leaps and bounds it again would be another thing to compete for which is what Kurogo makes it - inside competition. If you're always at that state then the unity tears off. Fans and pros alike were complaining that the T20 OG had no chemistry well there's your answer.

But I do get that rushing mental issues does more harm than good. Hopefully she realizes by now that comparing herself to others is what will hold her back. They can't all be jack of all trades. She should stick to what she's already good at and continue honing it.