Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2021-2022

• Lol right that's why I'm asking cause there's always that 1 girl in each highschool and v1 team that looks just like her and is the ~promising one

I don't know the name of the Seagurl player but she's the girl in the left here

I checked Okayama's roster and that's Yuzu Nakamoto but I'm not sure if it's her in that first photo you posted. It does look like her though

• right out of HS, 19-20 years old, is peak. Treat 'em like firecrackers, not bottles of wine, I say :teach:

please, Saori Kimura at 18 was no where near the 24 Saori Kimura. Koga was great in 2015 and then collapsed in 2016.

Yes you want kids to learn earlier, but some people don’t develop as a player as fast as we would like. Plus some parents want their kids to go to college as Japan is really quirky (in general) about going to college later versus with your age…

The ideal situation for a players is to get in with veterans, so that they are a piece but maybe not the important one. PFU with their roster moves is basically perfect for Valdes. She is scoring but has good veterans around her to learn from.

• please, Saori Kimura at 18 was no where near the 24 Saori Kimura. Koga was great in 2015 and then collapsed in 2016.

Yes you want kids to learn earlier, but some people don’t develop as a player as fast as we would like. Plus some parents want their kids to go to college as Japan is really quirky (in general) about going to college later versus with your age…

The ideal situation for a players is to get in with veterans, so that they are a piece but maybe not the important one. PFU with their roster moves is basically perfect for Valdes. She is scoring but has good veterans around her to learn from.

I wouldn't say there's a fixed age per se no matter the country or culture. When you have it --- you have it and there always be coaches who will make sure to see it through even if they go through those bad days.

Valdes is doing well because of the team dynamics since majority of PFU other than Nabeya and Nanami Wasai (who has always been terrible btw) are mostly rookies. But I wonder if she'd be just as effective of an attacker if she played in Toyota with KRob to learn from?

• I wouldn't say there's a fixed age per se no matter the country or culture. When you have it --- you have it and there always be coaches who will make sure to see it through even if they go through those bad days.

Valdes is doing well because of the team dynamics since majority of PFU other than Nabeya and Nanami Wasai (who has always been terrible btw) are mostly rookies. But I wonder if she'd be just as effective of an attacker if she played in Toyota with KRob to learn from?

I am going to actually say no. Learning from Kelsey would help, but the roster is just too young and they were not great last year either. Some teams develop through a group learning to grow, but too much failure at an early stage can take a mental tool.

The thing with normal management of teams, you are trying to look 3-4 years in advance. In volleyball, there is not a "draft", you actually have to go out and sign all players. Many teams want these players right out of high school because they were stars in high school. Whether that actually means they can play as professionals is another story. Also in the past, players were actually company employees, so they would play and work. With the current league set up, it is changing to where they are professionals, which is still a change from high school. Still some parents want their kids to get a college degree as education is important in Japan. Still players can be signed from their college teams.

Also, one thing that is not understood with contracts, is essentially they are one year deals, but usually through the first four years are renewed for young players automatically. Once they kind of get to that 4-5 year range, or a new coach comes in, is when you see players dropping from teams into the transfers or "free agency". You are not seeing that with the stars of course, because contracts are never published and few stars jump teams. Usually the only way to jump teams is to leave the country, hence why Tashiro went from Toray to Romania to then Denso.

• This Fukuzawa? girl has a twin. I don't know if both twins have hype but the one going to Saga seems to be 'One to Watch' could be the new Nagaoka if her number is 1

She's #4.

Her sister Tsugumi is Toray's new informal player. Toray really loves taking on siblings.

FEcWhJ7akAAOmSM?format=jpg&name=small

• please, Saori Kimura at 18 was no where near the 24 Saori Kimura. Koga was great in 2015 and then collapsed in 2016.

Did Saori languish on the bench for 2 or 3 or 4 years of a good team before emerging as a better player at 24? I don't know. Koga didn't. Sarina might be better now than she was at 19-20 but she played her way to it.

• Usually the only way to jump teams is to leave the country, hence why Tashiro went from Toray to Romania to then Denso.

Hasn't the league done away with that nonsense?

The number of outright transfers is going up, maybe not Sarina Koga level stars, but :

• Yuka Kanasugi
    • Kotoe Inoue
    • Sanae Watanabe
    • Riho Otake
    • Yurie Nabeya
    • Airi Tahara

Plus two top players from V2 transferred to V1, Megumi Sato and Hibiki Suzuki

A Shout out to last year's trailblazers:

• Shiori Arartani
    • Natsumi Watabiki :rose:
    • Misaki Inoue
  • I bet if a HS player is planning on continuing a full commitment to volleyball (deciding for whatever reason not to go to college) they dream of signing with a big corporate dual citizenship BCS hiring dynasty team -- not Kurobe. So I think I understand why HS big talent might think it's better for their career to sign with SAGA for example. Shion and Ayaka Araki chose that. And it might have been good for them if they are indeed nursing injury. SAGA probably has better resources to deal with that than PFU etc. But if that's not the case and they are just hoping to bench their way to being better players, I dunno.

Valdes is/was clearly a HS talent. She chose PFU? Or is it that SAGA just didn't go after her? What if they did and she thought ... hmm Hikari Kato ?

Who really knows what will happen with Megumi. Maybe the higher net and taller blockers will kill her game. Maybe she bolts to the front of SAGA's lineup?

What if Megumi had signed with Denso or Toyota? She would likely start playing right away and we would find out what she's got.

I wish she would have signed with Denso. full stop

• Hasn't the league done away with that nonsense?

The number of outright transfers is going up, maybe not Sarina Koga level stars, but :

Actual stars rarely ever transfer clubs keep those to keep the club relevant. Somewhere along Maiko Kano's level

• Valdes is doing well because of the team dynamics since majority of PFU other than Nabeya and Nanami Wasai [...*] are mostly rookies

PFU isn't mostly rookies

Melissa is growing fast. I wonder where it's coming from . Nabeya and Takaso are both very smart players. I wonder how well Melissa gets on with them. I think if she's soaking up shit from them it's the best thing she could have hoped for. But I can't get a sense from watching them play who she might be buddying up with

*edited out the unnecessary slanderous remark against Wasai -- who has some chops :)

• *edited out the unnecessary slanderous remark against Wasai -- who has some chops :)

Wasai isn't totally terrible but was never a standout player which is fine because she doesn't drag the team. She's very motherly towards this group and even opted to stay despite Ebata retiring so I think that shows how much she cares for the younger girls which is like all of them basically

• I had a crush on Nanami Wasai before she was unbelievably poised. Not a freaking strand out of place. She was/is bestfriends with that pretty Kurobe chick who I also had a crush on but I forgot her name now.

• Actual stars rarely ever transfer clubs keep those to keep the club relevant. Somewhere along Maiko Kano's level

The league has dropped that nonsense where you had to go play overseas for a year if you wanted to transfer, so history isn't that relevant. This is a new era that may bring big change or fizzle out. It remains to be seen. PFU might be the bellwether

But yeah, if you're the star of a team and you are playing, it's unlikely you will jump ship. Sanae Watanabe is an exception. Who knows what the drama is/was there in NoSmiler land

• except for Araki she went from Toray - Ageo - Toyota

Toray released her upon her pregnancy announcement in October 2013. Totally different story.

as for Kotoe, again went to Romania after JT. Okamura too went to Thailand before joining Denso.

more often than not players fall out of favor before being let go. Stars rarely move.

• I had a crush on Nanami Wasai before she was unbelievably poised. Not a freaking strand out of place. She was/is bestfriends with that pretty Kurobe chick who I also had a crush on but I forgot her name now.

Rina Hiratani? :love:

• I wish she played a little longer but I guess she was one of those college types who only saw volleyball as an extracurricular activity