Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2021-2022

• Ageo's #10 has nice hair but she's as short as uchiseto...but also strong and dead serious. I might stan ...next season. I noticed her a little late

Yuka Sato. She's good player :thumbup:

• Yuka Sato. She's good player :thumbup:

Since we're on this train, I'm curious to hear your notes about Ageo... They seem to be all over the place... Was I overrating them by expecting them to sneak up among them top 4, top 3, maybe? It seems this new rule of playing 2 times against the same team particularly hurt them, cause they're unable to play well twice in a row against the same team.

• Since we're on this train, I'm curious to hear your notes about Ageo... They seem to be all over the place... Was I overrating them by expecting them to sneak up among them top 4, top 3, maybe? It seems this new rule of playing 2 times against the same team particularly hurt them, cause they're unable to play well twice in a row against the same team.

I don't think you were overrating them any more than just about everyone else was. I think I predicted top 3 for them. Saori Sakoda picked them as 5, Maiko Kano at 3.

I just checked their history this year about the 2 match thing:

Against PFU they lost the first one and won the 2nd one

Against SAGA they did the same: lost the first, won the 2nd

Against Denso they won the first and lost the second

Aainst Hitachi: won the first and lost the second

So I don't think the 2 times thing is an issue. I'm surprised Hitachi beat them but maybe Hitachi is just getting better

I don't have any concerns about Saitama, and think the only thing that will prevent them from Top ... 5, let's say :) ... is other teams getting better. Himeji will be an interesting game. And they still have NEC and Toray to double dip against :box:

• Yeah, I remember they were often losing one game and winning the other, but I didn't really remember the order of this.

• Yeah, I remember they were often losing one game and winning the other, but I didn't really remember the order of this.

If they lose the first, winning the second is the way I would expect from them because I believe Marcos is one of the better coaches at achieving that.

In the new year I think Lorenne is going to continue to improve, which could be good or bad because it may prevent the other hitters from expressing themselves: Sato, Uchiseto, and Yamaguchi. Add to that that Yoshino is set to return and it might become difficult to maintain a winning mentality.

Iwasaka (Tominaga) is also set to return in January

• Postyates ... I'm just reading the Post game Presser with Saitama/Hitachi after the first game which Saitama won. Marcos says this:

I think that the realistic level of the players of our team is about 6th or 7th place

He's such a tool :rolll:

• Empress Cup Schedule for 2021.12.10 •• Day 1 Japan Time

10:0011:3013:0014:30
    Club Ehime v Kurobe
    Kinjo U v Okayama
    Toyota v Tezukayama U
    Prestige v TWCPE U
    JA Gifu v NIFS U
    SAGA v Seitoku HS
    Ryukoku U v SAGA
    PFU v Fukuoka U
    Hitachi v Hiroshima Oilers
    Saitama v Artemis Hokkaido
    Tsukuba U v Brilliant Aries
    KANOA Fukuoka v Himeji

Watchable here

All matches except the Final will be broadcast live. The Final will be available VOD at some point later

• I think the QQ/FB people will likely get a stream going for the Final

IIRC, we didn't get to see the SFs live (and werka had a heart attack watching the livescore go by at that Player! site), but then QQ did stream the Final

Coach Dude was a savior getting most of the matches up in a very timely manner but that's not an option this year :whistle:

• I think the QQ/FB people will likely get a stream going for the Final

IIRC, we didn't get to see the SFs live (and werka had a heart attack watching the livescore go by at that Player! site), but then QQ did stream the Final

Coach Dude was a savior getting most of the matches up in a very timely manner but that's not an option this year :whistle:

i miss our favorite russian

• i miss our favorite russian

I love those videos, especially for re-watches (or catching up on a match I couldn't watch live because so many scheduled at the same time). A 3 set match in under 30 minutes, and frankly some of them look better than the vtv broadcast and most of them sounded better

• Postyates ... I'm just reading the Post game Presser with Saitama/Hitachi after the first game which Saitama won. Marcos says this:

He's such a tool :rolll:

But this is such a Brazilian coaches' move, though... :roll: They love to go for that fake humility thing, when even when they are the heavy favorites in a match, they still like to play that "We are just happy to be here" shtick. I just don't know how it functions with the Japanese mentality, though... I mean, you don't need to go all Heynen-esque, but 2 years ago with mostly the same group of players this team was 3rd on the League. :gone:

• But this is such a Brazilian coaches' move, though... :roll: They love to go for that fake humility thing, when even when they are the heavy favorites in a match, they still like to play that "We are just happy to be here" shtick. I just don't know how it functions with the Japanese mentality, though... I mean, you don't need to go all Heynen-esque, but 2 years ago with mostly the same group of players this team was 3rd on the League. :gone:

I hear ya :)

I don't know if you read that whole presser, but I like how he describes enjoying starting out a little wobbly and then getting better rather than starting out hot and (possibly) losing focus

Wobbly, then improving was the Saitama story , especially that 2 years ago team you mention. And because of the way the tournament was scheduled they were able to make use of it. The way it is this year, you almost had to be full-on JT Marvelous from the git-go ... or ... no soup for you* :lol:

*american pop culture reference that may not travel well, sorry

• Fuji TV is going to broadcast some V.League matches starting in January. I wonder if that means we'll get those as the VOD , or even live?

One of the greatest values for me of vtv was that the DAZN matches would show up VOD. I can't imagine V.League would remove vtv broadcasts of the matches that Fuji carries but maybe. Japan does seem capable of that kind of rot. Certainly no real broadcast channel would broadcast the bullshit vtv produces

• I didn't read it, but I will now, you got me hooked! And I do agree with him about the trajectory... I always remember something that a Bulgarian once said... Not sure if it was Sokolov, or Kaziyski... That he always remember what one of his coaches once taught him, that in volleyball it's much more important the way you finish a match than the way you start it. It's kinda captain obvious, but, at the same time, so true.

(About the soup stuff, it's Seinfeld, isn't it? :lol: I'm not really a fan of that show, but that reference was just impossible to miss... So, please, keep them coming! ;))

• Fuji TV is going to broadcast some V.League matches starting in January. I wonder if that means we'll get those as the VOD , or even live?

One of the greatest values for me of vtv was that the DAZN matches would show up VOD. I can't imagine V.League would remove vtv broadcasts of the matches that Fuji carries but maybe. Japan does seem capable of that kind of rot. Certainly no real broadcast channel would broadcast the bullshit vtv produces

This is confusing tbh. So JVA with that videoflow thingy for Empress Cup then Fuji TV's One Two Next will be broadcasting allstars I mean tot festa. Are those free to watch or a separate subscription? I'm so done with these channels.

I thought Fuji TV will only focus on the men's matches from now on? they've completely removed their content for the female players/teams.

• This is confusing tbh. So JVA with that videoflow thingy for Empress Cup then Fuji TV's One Two Next will be broadcasting allstars I mean tot festa. Are those free to watch or a separate subscription? I'm so done with these channels.

I thought Fuji TV will only focus on the men's matches from now on? they've completely removed their content for the female players/teams.

The Empress Cup videoflow is free. I don't know anything about FujiTV but I've never been able to watch anything there for free