Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2021-2022

• Kurobe have not lit the world on fire in V1 either, but there is a gap, and also what teams are willing to spend. Gunma and Route Inn are probably going to be at the top again in V2 next year. Route Inn could probably bring in a ASEAN player as well to improve more. I don’t know if Kurobe will do that. Will Kurobe try to bring in a different BCS than Lutz?

Kurobe has Pimpichaya along with Lutz. She didn't really come into her own until the end of the season, and then started doing pretty well

I hope Brilliant Aries stays clean of imports. They're like my V2 NEC :) but more gay :thumbup:

• My prediction is: JT wins the next match and SAGA wins the Golden Set. It's the SAGA way :teach:

• oh v league... you make me find new reasons to dislike you every day lol

Tell me about it :cursing:

Two of my most cherished matches of the season -- Toyota's last match against Saitama, and this last Challenge Match between Kurobe and Brilliant Aries -- broke during the stream, but not enough for VTV to apologize for it and fix the VOD source. Downloading them fails :wall::wall::wall: so I have to get them in two chunks and stitch them together :mad::mad::mad:

• I just noticed the uncanny parallel between the V1 Finals for both Women & Men: Hisamitsu are the Empress' Cup champions and they won the 1st match against the defending league champions, while Wolfdogs Nagoya won the Emperor's Cup and they also won the 1st match against the defending champions, Suntory Sunbirds :what: All playing in the same venue too, right? What a coincidence :mirror:

• Just to confirm with yall: are the Finals matches being streamed on V.TV? I was thinking of getting a subscription at the beginning of this month but I forgot and wasn't too sure if they would be streamed

Oh and if you're wondering how I watched yesterday, I watched a YT stream :whistle::win:

• Finals matches being streamed on V.TV?

yes

• Catching up on Uni games from over the weekend. Getting a kick out of seeing some of the beastly gender neutral kids I watched in high school, with their fascist Haruka hairdos they're forced to sport, looking like athletic young women with pony tails. Some look odd, most look great

• Ameze Miyabe isn't playing with Tokai Mermaids -- "it is said she is with NT training camp" -- but The Real Yoshino Sato did play with Tsukuba, at least the first weekend. I hope that doesn't mean The Real Yoshino Sato has already been cut :(

• embedded tweetfart

Wait wait wait :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

"WE secured a spot for next season so there will be another year of enjoying volleyball altogether ..."

:dance4::woohoo::dance4::rose:

<3

I hope I'm not misunderstanding that

• Soo.... She'll be staying?? Come on Himeji say it properly :call:

• Soo.... She'll be staying?? Come on Himeji say it properly :call:

Japan never says anything properly :rolll:

• Does anyone know if Kanami Tashiro recently got married or unmarried? Someone changed her name in the Japan NT page former squad section to Kanami Okumura ...

... just curious. It's not on her J-wiki page or anywhere else I can find

• Tsukasa Nakagawa is finally wearing #1 and is Captain of the Tokai Mermaids this year :rose:

• Does anyone know if Kanami Tashiro recently got married or unmarried? Someone changed her name in the Japan NT page former squad section to Kanami Okumura ...

... just curious. It's not on her J-wiki page or anywhere else I can find

Did some digging on her social media and no news or announcements (like Sato Miya) about any marriage! If she got married way before then I'm not sure... But given that her career had no hiatuses like Tominaga (more well-known name compared to Iwasaki) who gave birth, then I guess safe to say no? :mirror:

• Didn't expect that SWP will be considered for renewal after how she was utilized this season, but I guess it's happening.

right now, Getting visas in Japan is a pain due to Covid, so if you already have one, it is easier to be resigned even if not with same team, hence Acosta with Denso, which needed a foreigner with Plummer going to Imoco.

She really fit in with the team and that usually is a good sign that they want you back.

Kelsey is a really good player and could play anywhere in the world but chose Japan. We’ll see if Toyota still wants her, but I would not be surprised if they bring her back with their play last half of the year.

Foluke is up to her. She loves Japan and her team is very supportive, even as a mom, which may not be easy in Japan.

Lutz had a tough year, but Kurobe are not big spenders and they are still in V1, and she appears to like Japan on her Instagram page.

Tapp is still great for Hitachi, but if she may want to be in a bigger league, she’s put her time in.

Drews is in same boat as Tapp. Also team is still winning titles, have some work this weekend though.

Also one odd quirk right now is the exchange rate. Last couple of years it is in the 108-114 yen to US$1. As of today it is around 125 yen to US$1. If paid in yen, you conversion to $ is down about 10%. If paid in $ you get 10% more.