Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2021-2022

• “Japan withdrew from the AVC Women's Club Volleyball Championship and faced a $20,000 AVC fine.”

Who will pay that? JVA or JT?

• You've never heard of taraflex? omg how lol

I'm watching the FB v ECZ match and the libero dove for a ball like a man and just stopped when she hit the floor. No skidding. Is that the taraflex stuff, and is it sticky like that :rolll:

Seems dangerous, maybe it was a bad dive

• I'm watching the FB v ECZ match and the libero dove for a ball like a man and just stopped when she hit the floor. No skidding. Is that the taraflex stuff, and is it sticky like that :rolll:

Seems dangerous, maybe it was a bad dive

not really, you can usually slide pretty well on it.

maybe it's just sweaty or something. or needs wiped down.

• On the special site ( https://mainichi.jp/kurowashiki2022 ) in "Mainichi Shimbun Digital" all 62 men's and women's games from group games to finals will be broadcast live for free. We will also deliver an archive video that allows you to look back on the match

I wonder what the catch is :/ That site won't even let you read articles without a subscription

I don't see any "Mainichi Shimbun Digital" on that page. I'm getting nervous/suspicious

• On the special site ( https://mainichi.jp/kurowashiki2022 ) in "Mainichi Shimbun Digital" all 62 men's and women's games from group games to finals will be broadcast live for free. We will also deliver an archive video that allows you to look back on the match

I wonder what the catch is :/ That site won't even let you read articles without a subscription

I don't see any "Mainichi Shimbun Digital" on that page. I'm getting nervous/suspicious

Unfortunately all leading national daily publications in Japan including Asahi, Yomiuri, Sankei and Nikkei are strictly by subscription. Twitter users that aren't private even get suspended for quoting their content.

Bunshun used to be a subscription-only basis but during the pandemic they made it accessible to everyone. No livestreams though

• Too bad. Hirose may have determined she'll never be free enough from ailments or injury to play any longer at a high level. Or maybe it's something else

• Here's an updated PDF of the players who have decided to retire (V1 & V2)

任意引退 = voluntary retirement

退団 = withdrawal

Voluntary retirement is a system where the player is retired from active duty but will remain a member of the parent or affiliated company of the team with which they had entered into an agreement and is dedicated to their company's business.

Withdrawal from the team means players who have left the team completely and have not signed a player contract with any other team under the V-League Organization and who are neither voluntarily retired players nor players who wish to be transferred.

*there are exceptions to players who chose to 退団 but this mostly applies to former NT members or players who played for the club during the entirety of their career. They may still be offered opportunities by the last team they played for.

• why do japanese clubs announce them all as retiring? all foreign players who will no longer play in japan are classified as retired when they're clearly not

• why do japanese clubs announce them all as retiring? all foreign players who will no longer play in japan are classified as retired when they're clearly not

it is probably due to legal requirements of some sort as we never get to see the actual contract.

Clubs usually use the word 勇退 as a catch-all term for all the players and staff leaving the club. I think that's how it is for all Japanese sports teams. There are also cases where players aren't certain what they will do next so they keep it vague.

• Just saw an article on Yahoo that Fujitsu who own PFU Blue Cats are going to be selling the scanner division, which PFU is a part of to Ricoh for 80 billion yen (around $640 million).

article is sourced to Ishikawa TV.

• Just saw an article on Yahoo that Fujitsu who own PFU Blue Cats are going to be selling the scanner division, which PFU is a part of to Ricoh for 80 billion yen (around $640 million).

article is sourced to Ishikawa TV.

I saw something about that but don't understand the "ownership" thing. I thought PFU was kind of like Okayama in that they were a corporate team that went rogue. What does "PFU" stand for?

Anyway, I guess it's hard to know at this point how it will affect the team

yahoo article

• 退団 and 任意引退

There's no V1 members on that list yet . The V2 ones are interesting to me in that, applying what you have spelled out, it suggests they don't like their job more than the volleyball part :white: Hamamatsu has eight players leaving, some tragic ones including their setter. GSS and Gifu , six each ... so far

I mostly look at the V2 teams as places to work that have a volleyball team and the reason players sign there is because they are on a certain career path -- Ranna Shiraiwa the most blatant example, and anyone who plays for GSS**

Gunma, Prestige, maybe Brilliant Aries, and the two new teams Ligare Sendai and Veertien Mie are the exceptions. They seem more like real volleyball clubs

-----------

** GSS beat Chiba Angel Cross to the Final 4 on the sets ratio tiebreaker. What a load. GSS doesn't have or want an S1 license, nor do they want to play in V1. JVL should disqualify them from wasting everyone's time, and let beautiful teams like Chiba Angel Cross have a shot at the goods. Angel Cross are all nurses working in an old folks home. Tragic