Japan Men's NT 2021

• This is really sad. I think that he might have been misdiagnosed. Or it could be somewhat like Virgil Abloh's case. I don't know if you're familiar with him but he privately battled cancer while simultaneously doing multiple massive projects within the fashion industry including LV.

I am familiar with Abloh.

His statement said that his initial concern was due to issues with his vision. It seems the doctors weren't able to detect it earlier which I find perplexing. Aside from his eyesight, surely there must've been other symptoms? it just doesn't go straight to that stage without some other effects on the body. Which is why I was asking whether it's something only being made known now.

Anyway, I do hope he overcomes it.

• I am familiar with Abloh.

His statement said that his initial concern was due to issues with his vision. It seems the doctors weren't able to detect it earlier which I find perplexing. Aside from his eyesight, surely there must've been other symptoms? it just doesn't go straight to that stage without some other effects on the body. Which is why I was asking whether it's something only being made known now.

Gastric cancer can be very hard to diagnose in its earlier stages because of how the symptoms are nearly identical to other conditions like Celiac Disease and other bowel diseases. But you're right that it doesn't escalate to stage 4 without other problems that may worsen through time especially when not given proper treatment. We don't know his full story. It could be that he hasn't seen a radiologist until recently. But again his doctor(s) should have considered running tests earlier on which is really the only way to know.

• My mother was battling breast cancer when I was little, and even though she was luckily diagnosed at early stage with high probability of surviving (and everything ended fine), it was still deadly stressful, esp for my father. I don't even want to think about his relatives if he's really at 4th stage with all statistics etc...

Big prayers for him, I hope everything will be fine somehow. :(

From what I see, stomach cancer in most cases is diagnosed in advanced stages because of what Karl has already mentioned.

• I am familiar with Abloh.

Just wanna add that someone with undiagnosed cancer can worsen due to stress. The fact that he was in good physical condition all these years then all of a sudden he experiences these symptoms could be that his condition escalated due to the high amount of physical and mental stress of being an athlete. Since he was never diagnosed before this he wasn't able to take the necessary measures. There are things he shouldn't have been doing to begin with because it could aggravate the tumor, stuff like that.

He may have been able to tolerate the chronic pain of those other symptoms too. Majority of athletes develop high pain tolerance... until it affected his eyes.

• Japan is notorious for missing these things, as I had a friend from college die of stomach cancer at around 27. It was a shock to me and friends, but saw pictures of him at about half his size, just so sad.

Hoping the best for him.

• Not many people know this but gastric cancer is one of the most aggressive types of cancer. As mentioned here already it's not easy to diagnose. It's usually hereditary from what I know but the most aggressive kind does not actually form tumors in the body making it even harder to detect. My dad's side of the family is affected by gastric diffuse cancer so I have some knowledge of it but I don't know how it is for someone who is already at this late of a stage.

I really hope things go well for him. He sounds positive and bright in his post but the tone is not something you pick up via translation. I can't even imagine how disheartened, scared and shocked he must've been. This is some extremely heavy news to take for anyone.