CEV Champions League 2022

• Waitt I didn't think it that way

If that's the case, it is not fair. We can't take it from players based on what their politicians have done. I understand that they exclude Russian clubs and national teams but at club levels these Russian players are representing their own clubs not their native countries

• Yup no Ariana or any Russian in CEV competiton as well as Belarus players.

What about local league? Is that considered a CEV competition? That means Antropova an Daviskaya are out too? :gone:

What an unfair situation!

• So what about Antropova ?

She can’t play as well. I don’t get her situation.

I think this new situation with Russia is gone push her in arms of Italian NT.

• I don't think athletes are banned. The statement says "Russian and Belarusian national teams, clubs, officials and beach volleyball and snow volleyball athletes". That's because beach and snow athletes always represent their own country. It does not say "indoor athletes".

• I don't think athletes are banned. The statement says "Russian and Belarusian national teams, clubs, officials and beach and snow volleyball athletes". That's because beach and snow athletes always represent their own country. It does not say "indoor athletes".

No no they say national teams, athletes, clubs and officials.
    That is first sentence.

• I don't think athletes are banned. The statement says "Russian and Belarusian national teams, clubs, officials and beach volleyball and snow volleyball athletes". That's because beach and snow athletes always represent their own country. It does not say "indoor athletes".

no it says in any “CEV volleyball, beach or snow volleyball” event…

I really don’t agree with this.

But in the other place it says:

The CEV declares all Russian and Belarusian national teams, athletes, clubs and officials not eligible to participate in European competitions.

So the question is if we interpret this statement literally, or is this some shortcut.

• ok with clubs but athletes shouldn'tbe punished

So sad for antropova,daviskyba and fedorotseva

I think that's what they meant when they say "athletes"

• Well, it's kind of obvious why Russian clubs should be excluded: they're all, at least in a male volleyball, but in a female probably as well, directly related to the government in one way or another (front office/sponsorships), for example Dinamo Moscow is owned by state-owned bank, its president is Putin's former KGB-comrade and a friend.

Banning Russian/Bielarussian athletes playing abroad is crazy IMHO, but I think that perhaps there's a chance that they are imprecise in their communicate. It doesn't make too much sense honestly to ban Russians playing abroad in a club competition. Husky123 - nope, local leagues are not considered to be a CEV competition, I guess - if that's true - this ban would apply to CL/CEV Cup/Challenge Cup.

• My mistake. I was talking about the FIVB statement. The CEV statement is more clear.

• can Russian players take it to European Court of Human Rights or any other relevant authorities? it's so unfair to the point of being fascist

• It is very unfair imho, to punish a country you punish every citizen in the country?? During a war, we always talk about to avoid civilian casualty, now in this "special war", no Russian "civilians" can be spared, I mean the individual athletes.

• can Russian players take it to European Court of Human Rights or any other relevant authorities? it's so unfair to the point of being fascist

Maybe they can make a case to European Court, but many sports federations banned russians players according to the request from International Olympic Committee.

• I don't know what to think. At first everyone was calling for tougher sanctions from CEV/FIVB, now they went all the way and now it is unfair. Which I agree on btw. Arina not being allowed to compete with her Turkish club Fenerbache anymore is totally unrelated to the war, but if banning Russia and its athletes helps just a little bit as part of bigger sanctions to end all of this...

• I don't know what to think. At first everyone was calling for tougher sanctions from CEV/FIVB, now they went all the way and now it is unfair. Which I agree on btw. Arina not being allowed to compete with her Turkish club Fenerbache anymore is totally unrelated to the war, but if banning Russia and its athletes helps just a little bit as part of bigger sanctions to end all of this...

I think most of us agree on exclusion of Russian clubs and national teams, but to ban Russians/Belarusians playing abroad would be too much, Antropova lives in Italy since she's 14, Fedorovtseva moved to Turkey when she was 17, Davyskibas moved to Italy when they were 19. What else do you expect from them?

But if Sidney is right, and he probably is, then it's fine for majority of us, I guess, to end these sanctions on Russian/Belarusian teams.