2021 U18 Girls World Championship

• Luzia was starter in game versus Mexico but got replaced by Rebeca because she cannot do anything inside the court. Luzia is slower in the block as well. However Rebeca is totally useless in attacks. Brazil is now using Rebeca as a blocker but her block is not that good.

• Has Arina been confirmed to play this tournament at all or she is skipping this entirely? With her, I would compare Russia akin to Italy with Michieletto on the men's side.

• Has Arina been confirmed to play this tournament at all or she is skipping this entirely? With her, I would compare Russia akin to Italy with Michieletto on the men's side.

Personally, I think she's skipping the tournament since she's already training with Fenerbache. But who knows, maybe she'll fly to Mexico before it's too late.

• Finally got around to catching up on the USA U18s

Overall, the level of competition isn't great. Besides a blip against Romania, it's been relatively simple.

I really like the MB, Mendelson. She hasn't committed to volleyball yet (she's a top USA basketball prospect too)

I'm not a fan of the S, Stucky... The setter selection was a bit controversial, the top "ranked" prep one is at home.

The passing looks good, which is surprising. They've been rotating OH Wucherer and Opp Kahahawai as passers. OH Murray and L Choboy have been really solid.

It'll be interesting to seem them against the better teams in the knockouts. Hopefully Stucky's connections get better. She struggles setting the slide to Allick.

• Luzia was starter in game versus Mexico but got replaced by Rebeca because she cannot do anything inside the court. Luzia is slower in the block as well. However Rebeca is totally useless in attacks. Brazil is now using Rebeca as a blocker but her block is not that good.

Today, in the round of 16, Luzia played as starter and she did really well. Good server and spiker, a few ups and downs blockwise. She was our best scorer. I hadn't seen this team play before, but I was really impressed by both MB's, Julliana is also a great standout. Libero Sophia improved throughout the match and had some good moments in defense, but the Thais put up a great challenge and the match could've definitely went to the 5th. In the end we made less mistakes.

Anyways, now we face Serbia. Have no idea how we fare against them. Based on our loss to Russia, we should put up a good fight, but this match against Thailand was shaky.

• Today, in the round of 16, Luzia played as starter and she did really well. Good server and spiker, a few ups and downs blockwise. She was our best scorer. I hadn't seen this team play before, but I was really impressed by both MB's, Julliana is also a great standout. Libero Sophia improved throughout the match and had some good moments in defense, but the Thais put up a great challenge and the match could've definitely went to the 5th. In the end we made less mistakes.

Anyways, now we face Serbia. Have no idea how we fare against them. Based on our loss to Russia, we should put up a good fight, but this match against Thailand was shaky.

Juliana has been having a great tournament! It seems like Sada really wants to build a good female team in order to reach Superliga soon. It's good for us that they're going a good job in the youth categories.

By the way, we won't be seeing Luiza Vicente, will we? She has yet to even make the roster this WCH. Even if she does make it, she's probably completely out of shape. Such a shame. :(

• thailand did better than I thought they would do against Brazil. Almost had a tie breaker. I think if Brazil didn't have better and taller blockers, results might have been different.

Good job girls, you guys did great.

I hope #11 gets a chance at VNL 2022 next year.

• Why is Canada losing so bad every set, every single hitter is in the negatives on their stats, but the setters are actually pretty good.

• USA wins in 5.

Argentina's passing completely fell apart midway through set 4. Their defense was outstanding throughout the match.

I dont think the USA really ever played well, other than a couple timely service runs. Neither setter looked comfortable, the right side attack is invisible, no hitter attacks line. The ARG MB's feasted on the pins only attacking cross court.

Morrison finally made adjustments during set 4.... he's lucky it wasn't too late

• Russia x Poland - Russia is the clear favourite, let's see if Poland can put up some fight;

Brazil x Serbia - a tough game for both, can't see a clear favourite here;

Romania x Italy - almost 100% sure Italy will go to 1/2 finals;

Turkey x USA - also a tough game, maybe a slight advantage for Turkey

• Kobzar seems to be better playing with the MB. OH and OPP were struggling in the Brazil match with the balls they got.

Unlike the U20, the set of wing spikers this edition is quite weak on attacks, none of them seem to be the go-to person for Russia. Fortunately, their passing is not that bad so Kobzar can really give balls to their middle blockers.