S.Korea - 2021-2022 V-League (Women)

• What's the difference between a trainee and a drafted/rookie player?

The difference between drafted rookie players and trainee players is that trainee player are not registered to play in matches until the teams registered them as official players. I think teams have to register trainee players as official players by the end of Round 3 or before the start of Round 4. Plus, trainee players are given a much lower salary too.

Some players in recent years who were trainee players and have become official players are IBK Altos PARK Min-Ji, Hyundai E&C JEON Ha-Ri, and Heungkuk HYEON Moo-Lin.

• Hi everybody,

I have a question, which may sound trivial, but I would like to have an answer because reasons. Anyway, why are the two Pink Spiders liberas wearing different jersey colors? I dont remember seeing this before for any other team, and I am lost what is the difference here between Kim Hae-Ran and Do Su-Been. Is this strictly a Pink Spiders thing or do those guys know something which I do not? Screenshot is from the KOVO Cup from August vs IBK Altos, but I know they had this two different jersey whatever-it-is before as well. Thanks.

• The team that use 2 libero (receive (enemy attack) and dig (own serve) ) wearing different shirt too (kgc, gs, heungkuk)

The officials will have easier job identifying them.

Now that you have mentioned it, it seems kinda obvious ... thanks. But yes, I looked again at the KGC vs Caltex match at the beginning when they come on court and indeed, two different colors for their liberas at those teams. I honestly didnt understand this until yet. *not feeling embarrassed at all* :whistle:

• The difference between drafted rookie players and trainee players is that trainee player are not registered to play in matches until the teams registered them as official players.

Knew about the lower pay, but didn't know they aren't allowed to play till they are registered so thanks for sharing

But wonder what's the difference, their pay is so low that it won't count much toward salary cap anyway (since no team has maxed it out yet)

• Knew about the lower pay, but didn't know they aren't allowed to play till they are registered so thanks for sharing

But wonder what's the difference, their pay is so low that it won't count much toward salary cap anyway (since no team has maxed it out yet)

I realised the trainee players couldn't play when I didn't see their names on the live score updates provided on KOVO website during matches.

You can find the breakdown for new players' salaries for the 2020-2021 season here (scroll down to the middle for info relating to female players). The salary for new players for this season should be pretty much the same as last season with the exception of the trainee players' salary. According to this article posted in mid-December, 2020, the trainee players' salaries will be increased by 20% to 24M KRW for the following season.

Also, from what I have concluded, rookie players' salaries are not included in the salary cap (1 - refer to Article 73).

For example, if you looked at Hyundai E&C players' salaries breakdown for the 2021-2022 season (1), you can see that they have already reached the maximum amount of 1.8B KRW allowed for the total base salary under KOVO salary cap rules. If you add the salary for just a single rookie player then they will be over the base salary cap.

why are the two Pink Spiders liberas wearing different jersey colors? I dont remember seeing this before for any other team

wearing different shirt too (kgc, gs, heungkuk)

Besides AI Pepper, I am pretty sure the other 6 female teams have two jersey colours for their liberos.

IBK Altos main libero SHIN Yeon-Gyeong wears the orange coloured jersey whilst the other libero jersey wears either the team's white or blue jersey (opposite to the rest of the team).

Expressway main libero YIM Myung-Ok wears either the team's white or purple uniform and the second libero a maroon coloured jersey - https://www.instagram.com/p/CTyQTQHprHQ/

Hyundai E&C main libero KIM Yeon-Gyeon wears either the navy blue or white jersey and the second libero where a hot-pink coloured jersey - https://www.instagram.com/p/CJcJ1Vyl9Zj/

• From some of the Instagram posts/stories from the Hyundai players, it looks like they have their photoshoot for the new season today and I think they might have a new uniform. I think the collar on the new uniform has a different shade of green, a more natural and darker leafy shade of green than the fluorescent green that we currently know of. Also, the players' number on the front might be on the right side of their chest.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTysHZTB4nI/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTy9nkjFKuo/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTycCloF_Wd/

It seems like JEONG Ji-Yun had some photos taken for Dazed Korea magazine, it was probably taken after the Olympics.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSyAnl4paB6/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTbd6f0p8wn/

And recently Ji-Yun post some more photos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTMeInplggn/

• For example, if you looked at Hyundai E&C players' salaries breakdown for the 2021-2022 season (1), you can see that they have already reached the maximum amount of 1.8B KRW allowed for the total base salary under KOVO salary cap rules. If you add the salary for just a single rookie player then they will be over the base salary cap

Hillstate, the only team who maxes out their salary cap🤷🏻‍♀️

• Hillstate, the only team who maxes out their salary cap🤷🏻‍♀️

They will definitely need to let go of some players at the end of the season unless the salary cap is changed and I don't see that happening whilst covid-19 is keeping the fans away. Hopefully, it won't be at the expense of the younger players.

Hyundai will have a tough time at the end of the season too as I think they will have three important players qualifying for FA status. These three players should be YANG Hyo-Jin, LEE Na-Yeon, and GO Ye-Rim. I would have include HWANG Youn-Joo too but I don't think she didn't play in enough matches last season to qualify.

2021-2022 V-League Women's Teams - Total Salaries + Options

Team
    Base Salaries
    (1,000 KRW)
    Options
    (1,000 KRW)
    Total
    (1,000 KRW)
    1.Hyundai E&C Hillstate1,800,000473,5002,273,500
    2.GS Caltex1,755,000458,0002,213,000
    3.Korea Expressway1,738,000354,0002,092,000
    4.KGC Ginseng Corp.1,515,000336,0001,851,000
    5.IBK Industrial Bank1,596,000230,0001,826,000
    6.Heungkuk Life Insurance875,000141,0001,016,000
    7.Pepper Savings Bank560,00070,000630,000

Edited once, last by theloneracer: Updated figures for Korea Expressway Corp. and Heungkuk Life Insurance as they added additional players to their team after June 30, 2021. ().

• i would think Hyundai will keep Yang Hyojin. Imo when the salary of a player is really high, it's hard for other teams to want to offer (it'll affect salaries of other players + many other considerations)

i would let go Go Yerim, because there's Jung Jiyun. (in fact during Kovo, Yerim looked nervy whenever Jiyun scored. if i'm her, i would be too, someone might be replacing me)

Or is Go Yerim pivotal in Hyundai's games? I don't think i've watched them enough.

• From some of the Instagram posts/stories from the Hyundai players, it looks like they have their photoshoot for the new season today and I think they might have a new uniform. I think the collar on the new uniform has a different shade of green, a more natural and darker leafy shade of green than the fluorescent green that we currently know of. Also, the players' number on the front might be on the right side of their chest.

Looks like they also changed the shade of the green on their logo (as seen on The Spike's Instagram story).

So technically Hillstate has a new logo? :D I wonder if they'll change their court color too. I love the current one but it makes the players look too "yellow."

They will definitely need to let go of some players at the end of the season unless the salary cap is changed and I don't see that happening whilst covid-19 is keeping the fans away. Hopefully, it won't be at the expense of the younger players.

Hyundai will have a tough time at the end of the season too as I think they will have three important players qualifying for FA status. These three players should be YANG Hyo-Jin, LEE Na-Yeon, and GO Ye-Rim. I would have include HWANG Youn-Joo too but I don't think she didn't play in enough matches last season to qualify.

I remember Hillstate let Yang Siyeon and Park Jiwoo go during the off-season. Now that you mention the salary cap, I think this could be the reason. They couldn't fit anyone else in. Now I'm worried about this year rookie players. :(

Players like Kim Dain, Jeong Jiyun and Lee Dahyun are becoming core members of the team, and if they play well, they will want (and probably will get) their salaries increased. With the team's salary cap already maxed out, someone else has to go.

Yang Hyojin has the highest salary but her leaving Hillstate would be the most surprising thing. If KOVO doesn't approve an increase of the team salary cap, maybe she'll take a pay cut? That would feel weird too. She has been paid the highest salary possible for so long. ^^

There are some speculations that they will let Lee Nayeon go. Her base salary went down to 99 mil KRW this season, the highest salary for a rank-B player. Other teams might get her without losing one of their players.

Guess we'll have to see how the players perform during the season.

• Go yerim have shoulder injury on Kovo cup, that’s why she only doing ball tipping.

she still valuable for hillstate and bring a lot of fandom (and lot of haters too😓).

Vleague desperately needs 2nd division to nurtures these player, look at moon seul gi and lee yun jeong, they develop on amateur team and now got their chances on pro team.

• I think peppers add another player from amateur team (Daegu), Park Kyeong Hyeon

If that is the case, then I think we talking about PARK Gyeong-Hyeon who was a former outside hitter for Hyundai E&C that they drafted for the 2015-2016 season from Suwon Comp. Girls' High School and is now known as Hanbom High School. Other players from that draft in the same year are KANG So-Hwi, LEE Han-Bi, PYEON Ji-Su, and LEE Ye-Rim.

• Go yerim have shoulder injury on Kovo cup, that’s why she only doing ball tipping.

she still valuable for hillstate and bring a lot of fandom (and lot of haters too😓).

Vleague desperately needs 2nd division to nurtures these player, look at moon seul gi and lee yun jeong, they develop on amateur team and now got their chances on pro team.

I agreed. Hyundai can't afford to let Go Ye-Rim go as there ain't many outside hitters who can receive in the league and her defense is also good.

For me, the least important player to tied down in the FA contract negotiating period next year would be LEE Na-Yeon. That was why I wanted to see Hyundai draft a tall setter too so they would go in training for a season. Now that Hyundai hasn't done so, I hope the other setter KIM Hyeon-Ji will get some game time.

• Pepper Savings Bank AI Peppers will be holding their inauguration ceremony on the 30th at Gwangju City Hall. The event will be broadcast on KBSN Sports at 15:00 KST. Hopefully, Naver or AfreecaTV will stream the event as I don't know of any streams for KBSN Sports that are still working.

• Thanks theloneracer for the welcome :wavy: (and constant updates and interesting insights)

... as you may have noticed I am a more or less recent convert to Korean volleyball, and still have more questions than answers but everything in its due time. Actually I read the threads about the Asian championships & tournaments longer than I am watching those leagues but Korea is it for me. (okay, a little bit of China throw in for good measure, and once in a while Thai league too. Japan is hard to follow with their lack of good streams / decent videos etc, so hmpf). If you think this sounds strange, then maybe because it is, I dont know.

I dont have something like a favorite team so far, but kinda I do I guess. Hillstate gets the most love from me but KGC and Caltex I like to watch as well. A bit undecided about Pink Spiders, meh on IBK and about Expressway I always forget they even exist.

Also, do you think Pepper Savings Banks can upset the established teams, based on the players they have signed, or too early to tell? I am curious if they will be able to make an impact on the fast or not, but cool there is a new team. Something that is certainly good for the league as a whole, and for players long-term who may not have a chance otherwise to go pro. I am all for it if it helps developing talents.