S.Korea - 2021-2022 V-League (Women)

• I see, thank you for explaining!

Unfortunately the clubs care more about their wins than the national team's wins. Kim Heejin is currently the main OP on the NT yet even her doesn't get to play OP at IBK.

I was expecting Jeong Jiyun to make the transition to OP after her stint at the VNL and Olympics but she'll be an OH instead, so the NT still have no "real" OP. :white:

This is worrying to say the least.. And it's not like they can rely on Kim Heejin forever..

It makes me wonder if their chances of an olympic medal could have been higher if they actually let their local players play/train more in the OP. Wish the KVA would step in or something..

• Yang Hyojin guested on Same Bed, Different Dreams 2: You Are My Destiny and shared stories about her husband and their dating time.

The episode was subbed here.

A funny video on Hillstate's YouTube channel: the make up of Kang Sunghyung, narrated by KOVO Cup MVP Jeong Jiyun.

• Just watched the Radio Star episode (thanks Kofudakji!) and now I'm kind of wondering how our girls usually refer to players from other teams.

I thought it would just be the normal "seonsu" (player) way but then Yang Hyojin just randomly called Araki, "Erika unnie." :lol:

Now would SBS give us two episodes of Running Man like MBC did with I Live Alone and Radio Star? :rolll:

• so glad that after all the variety programs, the league will start straight after :woohoo:

I wouldn't watch running man if not for the girls... actually, i wouldn't watch any of the varieties if not for the girls :whistle::gone:

• Realize that male draft rookies are all joining from University instead of High School

Perhaps once the female University league becomes bigger and more established, more applicants for the draft will come from there as well

With the standout players joining straight from high school, whereas most other players get to improve further in University and increase their chances in the draft

• Realize that male draft rookies are all joining from University instead of High School

Perhaps once the female University league becomes bigger and more established, more applicants for the draft will come from there as well

With the standout players joining straight from high school, whereas most other players get to improve further in University and increase their chances in the draft

need to get rid of ridiculous rule first, player in 3rd year of highschool must declared for draft, if not they have to wait for another 5 years to be eligible to enter the kovo draft.

i think its different for men they often finished their military while attending university?

This article talks a bit about this problem. There are 5 female university teams vs 15 male teams. And the quality of the female league is not very good so the pro teams don't care.

Female players' priority is pro teams > business teams > university.

It also says that this is unlikely to change because KOVO and KVA are not interested and won't take the risks.

It's crazy to think that there is such a difference within the same sport in the same country cause this obviously affects the players' career choice after they retire.

• Well it’s patriarch country,

Women vleague have much higher rating and interest, yet the salary caps way way lower then men vleague.

i do agree the U-league is a work in progress, at least kids that dont get drafted still have option to play volleyball while getting degree.

with that being said, the only one who can change this is KYK, lets just wait until she’s retired and being director at KVA and clean up the boomer association lol

• i don't follow the men's league at all, what's the salary cap?

I think i saw over twitter, there's a petition to raise the women's salary cap, and they're going to submit that petition to KVA - if that's the correct one. I personally don't think anything's going to change (at least for now)

I do have some hopes KYK will bring some changes to the vball scene after she retires (coach or sth).

• need to get rid of ridiculous rule first, player in 3rd year of highschool must declared for draft, if not they have to wait for another 5 years to be eligible to enter the kovo draft.

i think its different for men they often finished their military while attending university?

No, military (2 years) is outside of university years (3 years). Meaning if they went military, it'll be total 5 years.

Males used to be able to choose when to enlist as long as its before they turn 30y/o, then it was changed to having to enlist whenever they are called up, then changed back again to 30y/o, not sure what the law is now exactly (but I don't really care lol)

There are volleyball players who enlisted in military in the middle of their pro careers like Song Myeong Geun after he settled his case.

Where is the "must wait another 5 years to be eligible to enter draft" rule from? Is that for a 2nd try at the draft?

Or as long as they miss the high school draft, has to be 5 years later to participate?

Anyway I think the female U-league is still new & small, hence before it existed, players naturally had to be drafted straight from high school.

If it does grow bigger with more teams, (more competitive, more players, higher standards), its possible for things to change.

I do have some hopes KYK will bring some changes to the vball scene after she retires (coach or sth).

Nah coaches don't have much say.

Only if she joins KVA, but even if she does it will take a long time before she climbs up the ranks, cause Korea/Japan is hierarchal by age/experience, not capability. Plus patriarchal culture, the Board of Directors are all old aged males, no females.