2024 Paris Olympic Games

• they're not taking place until fall 2023.. id be surprise if China doesnt bid/win

and if needed withdraw at a later date. Home court is such an advantage. (unless youre the USA lol)

That's round robin, top two from 8 advance, right?

• I wonder if that's autonomous FIVB decision or perhaps there was some pressure from IOC/organizer, in basketball we've seen the same change of formula last year in Tokyo and maybe there's some pressure to have less games in team sports considering a growth of Olympic Games in terms of schedule in general?

I don't know, but it basically shortens indoor volleyball competition for four days, I think it's not in the interest of FIVB, and it definitely sucks. It will be even more tricky to be in shape in good moment to make China-like run from Rio.

• The main reason for the shift to four team groups is as follows.

6 team groups, 15 matches in pool play, a total of 30 matches in the pool play, 60 matches between both sexes (10 days)

4 team groups, 6 matches in pool play, a total of 18 matches in the pool play, 36 matches between both sexes (10 days)

Having 6 matches a day (per sex) was just bonkers. This now reduces it to 3 a day (per sex), which can be spaced out over 5 days. Also this way you could have men and women play on the same day, in the same section windows.

Probably will be 4 matches a day (per sex), or making sure a certain pool finishes on the same day.

Additionally, with fewer matches in the pools, you will still have tension on the last day/matches of pool play

FIVB/Volleyball World wants more equality, this would show that they are doing it at the Olympics.

While we may complain about it, it is good for the people working the games and at least allows them to go a little bit of rest during this hectic tournament.

• I wonder if that's autonomous FIVB decision or perhaps there was some pressure from IOC/organizer, in basketball we've seen the same change of formula last year in Tokyo and maybe there's some pressure to have less games in team sports considering a growth of Olympic Games in terms of schedule in general?

I don't know, but it basically shortens indoor volleyball competition for four days, I think it's not in the interest of FIVB, and it definitely sucks. It will be even more tricky to be in shape in good moment to make China-like run from Rio.

Volleyball is scheduled from July 27 to Aug 10 (which is the first to last day)

Pool Matches (Jul 27-Aug 4) looks like its one match every three days.

QF: Aug 5-6

SF: Aug 7-8

Bronze: Aug 9-10

Gold: Aug 10-11

(men's/women's matches aren't designated yet)

https://olympics.nbcsports.com…ompetition-schedule-1.pdf

You can be right (in a rationale behind this decision), I checked out Paris schedule and it seems that your interpretation is correct, so the volleyball competition won't be shortened (it's still two-week tournament), but daily schedule will be much less intense.

I personally enjoyed these marathons during Olympics to watch volleyball for 10 hours straight while simultaneously doing other stuff, lol, this is Olympics, it happens once in four years. And although it's much more convenient now, we definitely will get much less of a content.

• You can be right (in a rationale behind this decision), I checked out Paris schedule and it seems that your interpretation is correct, so the volleyball competition won't be shortened (it's still two-week tournament), but daily schedule will be much less intense.

I personally enjoyed these marathons during Olympics to watch volleyball for 10 hours straight while simultaneously doing other stuff, lol, this is Olympics, it happens once in four years. And although it's much more convenient now, we definitely will get much less of a content.

I will just say 10 hours of volleyball straight for 10 days, while having a regular job, is not easy. Just from the FIVB standpoint, they are almost sleeping at the venue to churn out game info, interviews, etc. Let alone is the venue near hotels. For Tokyo, Ariake and Daiba do not have a ton of hotel options, so it was at least a 20-30 minute commute each way, plus throw in the Covid restrictions, it was just a nightmare probably to be a part of. I was at least able to contribute from my home a couple of articles.

• I will just say 10 hours of volleyball straight for 10 days, while having a regular job, is not easy. Just from the FIVB standpoint, they are almost sleeping at the venue to churn out game info, interviews, etc. Let alone is the venue near hotels. For Tokyo, Ariake and Daiba do not have a ton of hotel options, so it was at least a 20-30 minute commute each way, plus throw in the Covid restrictions, it was just a nightmare probably to be a part of. I was at least able to contribute from my home a couple of articles.

Yeah, I understand why it is more convenient from organizer's perspective to have much less games in general, both from competition as well whole OG perspectives. But the fact is we'll get 40% less games in a pool phase, and from fan perspective it sucks, and, well, we're first and foremost fans.

So in general:

- more convenient for organizers

- much less games

- worse system of advances

- more time to watch Poles losing in other sports

:gone:

• I hate this new format. CL already proved how bad the 3 best 2nd teams to QF rule is for years, FIVB comes up with a similar one but even worse.

As long as the host is the 1st seed, teams in Group A will always have the biggest advantage to advance, as they will be guaranteed to have 1 easy match and can win max. points from that match (only except in LA 2028:P).

In the other group with the African team drawn, teams in that group will also have huge advantage to have 3 teams advancing to QF as they are very likely to win the max points from their African opponent.
    In the worst scenario if the African team is in Group A, the A2 & A3 teams will be like given a free pass and automatically advanced to QF…

• The only thing I can see making it more "fair"

is to set up the QFs where A1 draws a second seed, B1/C1 get a third seed.

but i doubt that will happen.

I like the one i suggested, four groups of three each, top 2 advance.

• I think that the worst thing is that maybe with the drawn for quarterfinals. Maybe we Will see the tô best teams playing against each other in semis.

• I think that the worst thing is that maybe with the drawn for quarterfinals. Maybe we Will see the tô best teams playing against each other in semis.

Four highest ranked teams (winners and the 2nd-best) will be seeded.

The basic problem is the host being seeded, and in this formula it will be event bigger problem, it will be hard not to advance having African team in a ggroup, no disrespect.