2024 Paris Olympic Games

• FIVB wants more equality?🤦 Biggest lie ever! How relevant is it giving the host literally free pass to quarterfinals?

In previous formula, 1 out of 5 games was against an African team, now 1out of 3 games. This gives a huge advantage!

Reducing number of Matches in the tournament that's THE most important platform of this sport doesn't make sense.

• So France is enough representation for Europe then

Definitely! If france is the only strong team in Europe, I wouldn't object to it at all. But reality says otherwise, basically except USA, CHN, BRA, biggest competition will be European teams for this Olympic cycle

• I totally agree about history being fairly unimportant. Look at CEV CL as well, Russian teams were unbeatable for a long time but struggle to get any wins these days vs Italian and Turkish teams. There are many examples of this, you are only as good as you are right now.

And totally agree that European teams are generally on a higher level than in other continents on average.

With all that said the OGs are literally about representation of the continents and equality! It's literally the point of the OGs to bring together the bests of each continent, not just the overall bests. Europe is richer than most continents on average so it's logical that there are more teams on a higher level with more investments. Wch are about bringing the very bests together surely but the Olympic spirit is actually about more than that.

I disagree with your argument about being rich and that's why being stronger. The strongest European country SRB can't be considered as a rich country at all whereas Canada or many Middle eastern countries are quite rich and they are still not even in top 10. Even some of the north African countries or South Africa might be richer than Serbia but still not successful at volleyball

• If that is so, then why is there so much complaint about Europeans not being represented?

Those teams (the non Russia, Serbia, Italy ones) aren't beating Brazil, USA, China (like the teams that bring diversity and grow the game outside of the mainstream teams, which is part of the Olympic spirit)

How come attendance to OG grow the game outside mainstream teams? For many years, one African country is joining to OG and there is still no visible improvement. Venezuela joined to OG before but their volleyball level didn't improve at all, and they can't challenge even mediocre teams. UK joined OG as a host, their volleyball didn't reach to international level after many years.

Having 1 team from each continent is enough for diversity considering it is only a 12-teams tournament anyways.

• Why don't they just hire more personnel and rotate them? Surely fivb have plenty money for that given the fortunes they rack up from the bids to host their shitty qualification tournaments.

• :olympia:

Remember what the colors represent

Blue - Western Europe

Black - Central Europe

Red - Eastern Europe

Yellow - Northern Europe

Green - Southern Europe

• Why don't they just hire more personnel and rotate them? Surely fivb have plenty money for that given the fortunes they rack up from the bids to host their shitty qualification tournaments.

you think the top dogs at the FIVB want to share their money? lol

Graca has had how many fraud/corruption/laundering charges brought up against him?

they're all in it for themselves.

• Wasn't it already addressed that the purpose of OG is entirely different from WCH?

That is why African countries have always had guaranteed spots at OG even though in normal and purely objective mode it would be very difficult for them to qualify, is there anyone discussing this part?

Fact that Mexico, Chile or Venezuela were fighting for OG spots, while the best European teams couldn't even qualify for OG (like in male volleyball past two editions), wasn't related to diversity, but to poorly constructed rules, and everyone was aware of that. It wasn't a purpose that e.g. Serbia (ECH, World League winner, 4th WCH team) couldn't qualify for OG twice in a row, while Mexico or Venezuela could, FIVB just messed things up. And now no one gives Europe additional spots, there are 6 spots that are free for open competition, if Asia gets 6 spots, so be it.

• As Argentina fan, I'm perfectly fine with this change of system even if it's bad for our women's team.

-Nobody watched their games at the olympics (I think I watched one set of them and nothing else, and I'm a volleyball fan, not a "casual").

-It won't lead to any improvement in their level. Not even in sponsorship.

-It's a waste of public money in preparations, travel costs, etc.

• As Argentina fan, I'm perfectly fine with this change of system even if it's bad for our women's team.

-Nobody watched their games at the olympics (I think I watched one set of them and nothing else, and I'm a volleyball fan, not a "casual").

-It won't lead to any improvement in their level. Not even in sponsorship.

-It's a waste of public money in preparations, travel costs, etc.

This!👏

Meanwhile a volleyball country Turkey wasn't in OG 2016🤦

• https://playthegame.org/news/n…s-from-the-olympic-games/

This is cut and pasted here. This of course was pre-Covid posted, so the money may change. However, this would cover a four year window, so hence why the FIVB is trying to make indoor and beach as popular as possible to stay in the higher paying groups. I would say some of this money goes to development work, other parts of it are to help keep the organization funded. Also hence why the CVC money to create volleyball world was needed last year after not taking in this money due to no-VNL or Olympics in 2020.
    ——-

The IOC traditionally does not publish how it will distribute the revenues from the Olympic Games – estimated at $ 590 million for the Games in Tokyo - among the 28 permanent summer sports federations. But I can reveal this little secret here.

In May 2019, I received a document during the ASOIF conference on the Gold Coast in Australia:

ASOIF, the umbrella organisation for summer sports, receives $ 2.95 million.

The 28 permanent federations are divided into five groups. The 5 visiting associations get nothing. The 28 permanent associations were unwilling to give up money – that was the deal to allow the guests to join the Olympic party.

Group A, $ 40 million each: Athletics, Gymnastics, Aquatics.

Group B, $ 25.95 million each: Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Tennis, Cycling.

• 😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

Surprisingly you are very happy about it🤦

• Fact that Mexico, Chile or Venezuela were fighting for OG spots, while the best European teams couldn't even qualify for OG (like in male volleyball past two editions), wasn't related to diversity, but to poorly constructed rules, and everyone was aware of that. It wasn't a purpose that e.g. Serbia (ECH, World League winner, 4th WCH team) couldn't qualify for OG twice in a row, while Mexico or Venezuela could, FIVB just messed things up. And now no one gives Europe additional spots, there are 6 spots that are free for open competition, if Asia gets 6 spots, so be it.

having mexico instead of serbia while there is an another north american team in the Olympics is called diversity lmao.

When there is a representation of one continent, it's weird to play "but Olympic flags, but diversity, but equality, but richness and colonization" cards.