2024 Paris Olympic Games

• Didn't the IOC set the new format, not the FIVB?

or am i mis-remembering

News below said the new format was set by sports federations including FIVB and approved by IOC. Although the news doesn’t have the direct respond from FIVB, their interview with the chief of Hockey Federation confirmed it worked that way.

https://www.insidethegames.biz…lon-volleyball-paris-2024

The International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Executive Board has ratified the criteria set out by the International Hockey Federation (FIH), International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) and World Triathlon.

"On behalf of FIH, I’d like to extend our sincerest thanks to the IOC for having approved the qualification pathway that we suggested," said Thierry Weil, chief executive of the FIH.

• Thai media reported that AVC filed an objection to FIVB about the new qualification system for the Olympic Games, suggesting there should be a continental qualifier.

https://www.smmsport.com/reader/news/371793

Not sure if CSV & NORCECA will have the same action.

Don't be such a sore looser AVC, finally no more undeserved free tickets🎉

• Thai media reported that AVC filed an objection to FIVB about the new qualification system for the Olympic Games, suggesting there should be a continental qualifier.

https://www.smmsport.com/reader/news/371793

Not sure if CSV & NORCECA will have the same action.

I think the complain is valid, doing so would favor the Americas and Europe, and at the same time, there would be lesser opportunities for Asia and Africa. The Olympic rings literally represents the 5 continents, not just Europe and the Americas lmao.

• I think the complain is valid, doing so would favor the Americas and Europe, and at the same time, there would be lesser opportunities for Asia and Africa. The Olympic rings literally represents the 5 continents, not just Europe and the Americas lmao.

Américas????

• I think the complain is valid, doing so would favor the Americas and Europe, and at the same time, there would be lesser opportunities for Asia and Africa. The Olympic rings literally represents the 5 continents, not just Europe and the Americas lmao.

Formally, no one is beneficial of this change since every continent has the same number of participants guaranteed. It's a just system to give non-guaranteed spots to the best teams available.

In reality, Europe will benefit from that and every other confederation (CSV and NORCECA as well) will potentially lose since 50% of best top15 teams in the world ranking in both genders are from Europe.

But stop with this 5-circles sentimentalism, if AVC is in position to have 7-8 national teams realistically worthy of OG spot they wouldn't complain about this new format, lol, everyone fights for its interest, nothing more than that.

• Sorry, but you see it wrong way.
    For many years AVC and weak teams (like in 2016 and qualification tournament for weak teams lol) from other continents than Europe were beneficiary of the qualification system. Now these benefits has been cut and the best teams will go to the Olympics.

Wrong, it was in favor of any continent other than Europe. Now this favoritism is taken away for the sake of a more fair system. There will be at least one team from each continent even with the new system so Olympic ring symbolism is covered

• Right now the three Olympic Qualifying Pools would look like

A. USA, ITA, DOM, BEL, KOR, PUR, CAM, UKR

B. BRA, SRB, JPN, GER, THA, COL, ARG, MEX

C. CHN, TUR, NED, POL, CAN, BUL, CZE, CRO

Russia being taken out and France as hosts means that #26 would be the line.

KEN and KAZ could move into this list as they are the lowest ranked teams in the World Championships

They would need a win or two to probably do it.

Can I see movement in groups, yes, there will be still 11 more matches in VNL at a minimum and then 5 minimum in World Champs.

I am guessing that there is a 80 point window (5 ranking points x 16 matches min) for teams to move. If team won all matches or lost.

Upsets of course would move a team higher, but can be lost with a loss or two immediately after.

Belgium, South Korea upwards would basically be locks in my mind to be in this tournament, based on this 80 point window.

• I think Russia will be back by 2023

• The best 10 ranked will probably bê in Olympics due tô France as Host and An African team.

• The rank sistema its an improvement. But só Far the format of VNL with core teams should not prevail. A competition like in the past with divisions should bê created. And If im not mistaken the top ranked teams Will Get the spot after World qualify. They should take the spots earlier IMO. Some teams Will compete in World qualify knowing that already are in Olympics. Like China , USA and Brazil.

• https://www.japantimes.co.jp/s…-2024-russia-belarus-ban/

Russia (well, and Belarus, but they are not relevant in volleyball) may be banned from Paris games

Missing a year of NT action from Russia is already tough but not seeing them play in the Olympics is just... :(. It's going to be one long and very boring quadrennial for the NT players and the fans if this gets passed. It's a shame, though. Good, young talents have been coming from Russia recently and the next years leading up to Paris 2024 would have contributed a lot to their growth. They have good chances to redeem themselves for the past failures in the Olympics. We'll most likely never see that.

• https://www.japantimes.co.jp/s…-2024-russia-belarus-ban/

Russia (well, and Belarus, but they are not relevant in volleyball) may be banned from Paris games

Little bit off topic but one more bad news is that, this is going to push Antropova away from Russian NT.

That is huge blow away, She is at level as Arina. What a core of team this could be for next 10 years. To have this two such a young players is something that non NT in world doesn’t have right now.