2024 Paris Olympic Games

• Russia hasn't won anything in volleyball since 2012... I'd be more receptive towards the argument if it was about their synchronized swimming team, but even then, the winners are still the rightful winners and a medal is still a medal.

He should look at 1980 before he talks (well, it wasn't exactly Russia then).

I know this is the wrong thread, but since you mentioned it Russia men NT were back to back VNL champions 2018-2019 and they have silver medal last Tokyo Olympics. Russia is arguably a Top 3 team on the men's side.

• Whoever can detach themselves from sports and politics with national teams playing in international events is just living in some fantasy world.

Can anyone explain the Barcelona-Real Madrid rivalry without a combination of political and sporting results? The answer realistically is that you can’t.

Madrid being the capital, while the Catalan region looking for independence (yes knowing that it does have some semi-autonomy) fights against the capital. Also having both teams be successful on the field as well doesn’t hurt, but the political stakes makes it mean more. Both teams working together to be part of the Super League is hilarious because of course politics makes strange bedfellows.

• Whoever can detach themselves from sports and politics with national teams playing in international events is just living in some fantasy world.

Can anyone explain the Barcelona-Real Madrid rivalry without a combination of political and sporting results? The answer realistically is that you can’t.

Madrid being the capital, while the Catalan region looking for independence (yes knowing that it does have some semi-autonomy) fights against the capital. Also having both teams be successful on the field as well doesn’t hurt, but the political stakes makes it mean more. Both teams working together to be part of the Super League is hilarious because of course politics makes strange bedfellows.

This is a very particular example but most of other leagues have big rivalries in dependent of political motives (either coming from same cities or a rivalry between two big/rich cities.

Excluding teams based on political moves of the country is a very slippery slope. Especially when international associations turn a blind eye to certain countries while being harsh to others is not fair. I'm all about consistency.

While not justifying Russia's/ Putin's actions, detaining them from Olympics is not fair. If America or israel can get away with all invasions without any punishment in sport area, I don't see point of punishing Russian sport players now. Double standards is just hypocritical

• This is a very particular example but most of other leagues have big rivalries in dependent of political motives (either coming from same cities or a rivalry between two big/rich cities.

Excluding teams based on political moves of the country is a very slippery slope. Especially when international associations turn a blind eye to certain countries while being harsh to others is not fair. I'm all about consistency.

While not justifying Russia's/ Putin's actions, detaining them from Olympics is not fair. If America or israel can get away with all invasions without any punishment in sport area, I don't see point of punishing Russian sport players now. Double standards is just hypocritical

I will go down this path with Russia. Caught cheating from 2014, country got slap on the wrist in 2016. Has book thrown at it 2018 and 2020 and 2022. Then throw in a war against a neighboring country.

yes many of the players have nothing to do with the current government. However, the current administration is the same one that caused the problems for Russian athletes going back to 2014. Fool me once shame on me. Fool me five times, nope you (in this case the administration) are the problem.

• I will go down this path with Russia. Caught cheating from 2014, country got slap on the wrist in 2016. Has book thrown at it 2018 and 2020 and 2022. Then throw in a war against a neighboring country.

yes many of the players have nothing to do with the current government. However, the current administration is the same one that caused the problems for Russian athletes going back to 2014. Fool me once shame on me. Fool me five times, nope you (in this case the administration) are the problem.

Russia is not first and only country who ahs sportmen using doping (very common among sportmen from USA, UK, Ukraine, Kenya etc too) . It is unfortunately very common especially among certain sports like cycling, weightlifting, wrestling, track and field etc. (https://www.brusselstimes.com/…-most-sports-doping-cases)

But it doesn't mean to forbid sportmen from other sports too🤦

• Russia is not first and only country who ahs sportmen using doping (very common among sportmen from USA, UK, Ukraine, Kenya etc too) . It is unfortunately very common especially among certain sports like cycling, weightlifting, wrestling, track and field etc. (https://www.brusselstimes.com/…-most-sports-doping-cases)

But it doesn't mean to forbid sportmen from other sports too🤦

True and the whole thing with sports and doping is very vague anyway, there's a whole lot of performance supplements that pretty much everyone uses legally but certain other similar supplements become illegal and are considered doping, to me even this in itself can be politically motivated. And even officially speaking Russia isn't the first nation with doping positive athletes as you said.

I just don't see how you can justify banning an entire nation taking part in international sports events. Countries where being gay or literally a woman is criminalized with death penalty are also taking part, other countries that invade nations are also taking part, other countries in war are taking part. Like :?:

• True and the whole thing with sports and doping is very vague anyway, there's a whole lot of performance supplements that pretty much everyone uses legally but certain other similar supplements become illegal and are considered doping, to me even this in itself can be politically motivated. And even officially speaking Russia isn't the first nation with doping positive athletes as you said.

I just don't see how you can justify banning an entire nation taking part in international sports events. Countries where being gay or literally a woman is criminalized with death penalty are also taking part, other countries that invade nations are also taking part, other countries in war are taking part. Like :?:

It's simple really:

• It's simple really:

It really is that simple. All of the major sport organizations in the world are ultimately controlled, in one way or another, by major western powers (mainly America and it's empire NATO). They use sport as a club to beat their political opponents with, pretending that they do it for humanitarian purposes and for the purpose of fairness, bullshit that most of people in the said West are only too happy to lap up).

• I just don't see how you can justify banning an entire nation taking part in international sports events. Countries where being gay or literally a woman is criminalized with death penalty are also taking part, other countries that invade nations are also taking part, other countries in war are taking part. Like :?:

this is so true, countries in war is bad but where to draw to line and based on what? So many countries have conflicts and some sort of invasion in different Territories. Who to decide what is 'too bad' to participate Olympics what's 'not bad enough' to be excluded? Personally any country who has anti LGBT laws should be excluded too if people are basing their arguments on human rights

• I just see now in the ranking croatia is #26 ahead of peru when after the wch they were behind

How croatia gain points and isn't fivb thinking to include them?

• By mistake the points for CC final against Belgium disappeared. Now they are back. And Belgium moved to 12 place too.

But in that match they win and get points

So if they dissapeared...how they have more points now?

• But in that match they win and get points

So if they dissapeared...how they have more points now?

They should've started WCH with less points and due to that they should gain more for wining matches.

• But in that match they win and get points

So if they dissapeared...how they have more points now?Cr

Croatia won and gained more than 4 points. These points dissapeared from ranking somwhere in the middle of WCH so they had less 4 points. Now they came back as it should so they have more points in the ranking and Belgium has less.

• As I understand Poland is (almost) certain that will get women’s qualification, the only issue is where to organise it (which city):

https://www.sport.pl/siatkowka…i-mozliwe-sensacyjne.html

They are still fighting for qualifying tournament in Poland, but nothing is official yet. I hope they will win this and I dreaming about tournament in Gdańsk or Łódź:cheesy:

• I dreaming about tournament in Gdańsk or Łódź:cheesy:

If I remember correctly Świderski said that in case it's in Poland, it will be Katowice, Gliwice or Sosnowiec.

• If I remember correctly Świderski said that in case it's in Poland, it will be Katowice, Gliwice or Sosnowiec.

Oh yes. I read this some time ago but forgot... that locations are fine too, except Sosnowiec which I didnt saw any game from there:S