2024 Paris Olympic Games

• I'm surprised considering they approved to send MBTs literally today

the USA Olympic committee said they support finding means to include Russia. (Which was the purpose of this meeting) not that specially support including Russia. (The president of the USOPC I think said she supports Russia’s inclusion but I’m not 100% sure)

• It's going to be bad news for Thailand if Russia is going to play in Asian OG qualifiers.

• there is no such a thing as "Asian OG qualifiers" anymore

there sort of is, it's the highest ranked AVC team if none of them qualify in the first cycle.

I don't see thailand getting that spot anyways, with China and Japan so much ahead in the rankings.

• there sort of is, it's the highest ranked AVC team if none of them qualify in the first cycle.

Anyway that wouldn't be THA, it's pretty irrelevant to them.

• I think only downside will be for them, they will be playing against Russia and most likely losing ranking points

• because you simply can't have a competition when 90% of the teams aren't going to play one team in particular.

now the thing is what if this happens during the actual olympics, not the qualification tournaments. I guess IOC hopes there won't be problematic clashes and maybe even hope that russia doesn't qualify.

that could be unlikely. Russia will win by default if any team won't play them at the Olympics.

• that could be unlikely. Russia will win by default if any team won't play them at the Olympics.

there are plenty of teams that will play them in the olympics.

but i don't think there are many that will play them in europe.

• because you simply can't have a competition when 90% of the teams aren't going to play one team in particular.

now the thing is what if this happens during the actual olympics, not the qualification tournaments. I guess IOC hopes there won't be problematic clashes and maybe even hope that russia doesn't qualify.

But did the Asian teams agree to play against Russia...?

Aside from China I don't see why any other nation would agree or be willing to play against them (both political/war reasons and they're also a strong contender too)

And yes, wondering how it'll turn out in the Olympics when countries refuse to play against Russia - or will they accept playing against a neutral flag team?

Doping and war are very different things

• I read that IOC allowed to fight for the qualification to "individual athletes", but does it mean that teams are not allowed to participate? Also wondering about translation 'individual'.

https://olympics.com/ioc/news/…nd-the-status-of-athletes

I think they mean to check all athletes individually about their stance on the war. If any of them openly expressed their support of the war then that athlete is out.

• Just let Russia compete in the Olympics even under a neutral flag same in Tokyo. The level of competition will not be the same, if Russia were not to join. Isn't sport especially the Olympics about inclusivity anyways? :gone:

• Just let Russia compete in the Olympics even under a neutral flag same in Tokyo. The level of competition will not be the same, if Russia were not to join. Isn't sport especially the Olympics about inclusivity anyways? :gone:

Not having Russia in the Olympics will not tarnish that gold. I doubt countries would throw their medals away because they did not experience "the same level of competition".

Based on the Olympics' own words, they value "excellence, respect, and friendship" - which I don't think Russia is upholding (except excellence, probably) right now, nor would other countries feel that "friendship" from them given their war with Ukraine.

I understand competing with a neutral flag if it was for their previous issues (cheating and doping). But for war? That's too different.

My belief is that they are banned from competing because it's additional pressure for their government to stop the war. Questionable efficiency, but hey Ukraine is still losing people in this war, so if it helps, so be it.

Also, I don't agree that they should compete in Asia; how convenient for them to be able to change continents as they wish. Since they have borders near North America maybe they can try NORCECA. :heart:

• Nowhere I did say not having Russia in the competition would 'tarnish' anything. I was alluding to the fact not having Russia compete, the level of competition will not be as high and this is a fact both on the men's and women's side (and not just in volleyball).

Yeah you say doping and war are different. But you know what they have in common? Both crimes are done by the West, and they are NOT punished for it. :wavy::gone: