2024 Paris Olympic Games

• I guess it's understandable for CEV. So if they will join AVC for a bit.. does that mean they will compete in AVC championship? Etc?

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/iocs…a-olympics-200221390.html

Following that announcement, the Olympic Council of Asia on Thursday offered athletes from both countries the chance to compete in this year's Asian Games.

This year's asian games could be interesting for women's volleyball.

• Yeah you say doping and war are different. But you know what they have in common? Both crimes are done by the West, and they are NOT punished for it. :wavy::gone:

Very true.

This year's asian games could be interesting for women's volleyball.

Interesting? Or just even more one-sided than it already was :cheesy:

Still, surprised that OCA made the decision to include them - and it was specifically done so that they could qualify for the Olympics too. Was there money under the table?

• Very true.

Interesting? Or just even more one-sided than it already was :cheesy:

Still, surprised that OCA made the decision to include them - and it was specifically done so that they could qualify for the Olympics too. Was there money under the table?

Could be. But still fair nonetheless. They were already excluded from anything for 2 years.

• They won’t be part of European federations (like CEV) until 2024. Also Belarus can participate in Asia as well.

I can understand Russia playing in Asia since they're part of Asia too, but Belarus??!

• Russia is immensely huge, even within Russia itself there are different cultures

They're part of Northern Asia

Of course, Russia has a lot of ethnic minorities that have Asian roots. But again, they are generally European. The only "Asian" about them is Siberia (with a few minorities). And those minority cultures almost isolated from each other and from the Ruskies.

Anyway, I'm sad for Thailand mainly. They will lose points against this team.

• Russia in AVC makes sense under the circumstances, I thought this would have happened sooner tbh. Only teams that could refuse playing them in AVC would be Japan and Korea I think. I don't think it will be just China playing them, I'm sure almost all teams would be ok playing them. Then again Japan and Korea are important teams in AVC so it might still cause some issues if they decide to refuse playing them, but probably since everyone plays them in AVC (my guess) they'll just play them.

• Russia in AVC makes sense under the circumstances, I thought this would have happened sooner tbh. Only teams that could refuse playing them in AVC would be Japan and Korea I think. I don't think it will be just China playing them, I'm sure almost all teams would be ok playing them. Then again Japan and Korea are important teams in AVC so it might still cause some issues if they decide to refuse playing them, but probably since everyone plays them in AVC (my guess) they'll just play them.

Hahaha. Kinda hypocritical for Japan to refuse playing against them. But then I wouldn't be surprised. History denial is big in Japan.

• Russia has played at the African qualifying before as well as Dominican Republican has played at the South American qualifying before so anything can happen.

• https://indianexpress.com/arti…nt-randhir-singh-8410062/

This just makes things even more confusing

separate medals will likely be awarded to Asian athletes in case they lose to the Russians in medal rounds.

“They won’t interfere in our medal system or Asian quota for the Olympic Games,” Singh said. “The IOC will work out (Olympic) quota (policy) with us at the OCA and the international federations. And there will be separate medals.”

:cheesy:?????

Maybe its just for their ranking points to stay in Top 10 lol

• sounds like a win win for everybody. Russia won't be left behind and Asian teams will play with a big team with big compromises.

• https://indianexpress.com/arti…nt-randhir-singh-8410062/

This just makes things even more confusing

wait what Russia and Belarus in Asian Games? Oh wait the OCA Acting President is from India and they are allies with Russia. Go figure.

• Russia has played at the African qualifying before as well as Dominican Republican has played at the South American qualifying before so anything can happen.

Waiitttt.. Russia played in African qualifying?! How? haha

• Waiitttt.. Russia played in African qualifying?! How? haha

Yes, Russia played continental qualifications in Africa in 1996.

Russia was transferred to play in this zone. No more African teams were interested to play.

Initial host had to be Egypt. They withdrew due to lack of funds.

Nigeria had to play in the Intercontinental Qualifications in Japan Olympics Women OQ 1996. Withdrew and was replaced by Romania.

The 2 African teams played after a protest at the inclusion in the Africa zone of Russia.

• because you simply can't have a competition when 90% of the teams aren't going to play one team in particular.

now the thing is what if this happens during the actual olympics, not the qualification tournaments. I guess IOC hopes there won't be problematic clashes and maybe even hope that russia doesn't qualify.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/64503198

Paris Olympics: Up to 40 countries could boycott Games, says Poland sports minister

• https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/64503198

Paris Olympics: Up to 40 countries could boycott Games, says Poland sports minister

"A boycott is a violation of the Olympic charter, which obliges all NOCs to 'participate in the Games of the Olympiad by sending athletes'. As history has shown, previous boycotts did not achieve their political ends and served only to punish the athletes of the boycotting NOCs."