2022 Women's Volleyball Nations League

• South Korea, specifically, in this Geo-Financial panorama is "Core". Just consider the amount of great Sponsors, from Samsung to Daewoo, that can help Volleyball.

And think about it.
    Would so many Asian Fans watch VNL is no Asian Country was represented?

This makes a lot of sense, there are generous sponsors and broadcasting rights paid for by the Asian countries.

I know Korea paid for broadcasting rights and there are commercials breaks (commercials pay big money in Korea), so the broadcasting company that bid for it and won (since there are multiple - KBS/SBS/etc) must've paid a good amount for it.

wtf? That's whole lotta money. I even thought Japan pays more because they have stellar imports compared to SoKor.

If you think that's a lot, multiply that by 7 equal clubs in the female league and another 7 in the men's league under the same salary cap.

The Korean men's team don't even qualify for the Olympics, but they're paid way more than the female league (though female has more popularity & viewership) so much so their fans are complaining that the female players are not being paid enough :gone:

SoKor's imports are only paid 200million krw capped so it's not crazy attractive to top players - and they go through a draft without being able to select their club too. The better player you are, the weaker of a team you go to (top of draft). Not sure how much Japan pays, would be interested to know.

Of course in an ideal VNL there are no core teams, but then volleyball will need to be popular enough to garner enough through sponsorships and broadcasting rights of every participating country.

I don't get why Herbots is complaining though, they are only above Korea. If they were above 2-3 core teams and still relegated it'll make more sense.

Only thing is the round robin system where not every team faces every team should be changed (but then too many matches again so...)

• Where is core Africa then!

And why 3 CEV teams and 2 NORCECA teams are challengers? :D

It should be changed to have 1 challenger team from each continent.

• And why 3 CEV teams and 2 NORCECA teams are challengers? :D

It should be changed to have 1 challenger team from each continent.

Probably because they have more high level participants? I think FIVB has development programs where they subsidize salaries of coaches (sent to some African teams) to help improve their program.

• I think FIVB has development programs where they subsidize salaries of coaches (sent to some African teams) to help improve their program.

Do you know exactly where? I've read that recently they sent coach to women NT of Iran

• There aren't any Brazilian coaches in Africa. Souza de Brito was sent to the Philipines last year.

Luizomar de Moura was Kenya's coach in OG, but I don't know if he's still there..

• Luizomar de Moura was Kenya's coach in OG, but I don't know if he's still there..

He is not but Kenya was in a Brazil a few weeks ago for a training program in Osasco with Luizomar.

• Wasn't also the coach for Ruanda with all those fake naturalized players brazilian? Even though I guess he's not there anymore after that debacle

Yes, it was Paulo Milagres

• Did Paola Egonu broke the record for fastest spike ? 108,9 km/h ?!

• I wonder if the list of core teams are planned to be updated every 5 years or so? Otherwise it really does not make sense (it does not make sense with every 5 years either).

Problem is, some teams are consistently good and are in top 5 while some others have big ups and downs and their success is temporary, usually depending on a generation. When a key player gets injured, the team goes some levels down. With that, I agree what Britt wrote.

Also if there were no core teams, today's core teams would take VNL way more serious, knowing that they might relegate if they really fail bad.

I’m pretty sure I read some news before when VNL was created that the idea of Core Teams will be reviewed every 4 years aka Olympics cycle. But I think Covid screwed everything up. So there’s no review take place.

• Obviously, you don't know how Japan league works.

what i meant was that maybe the bench players of the korean league are even paid better than the star players of the Japan league (like Ishii, Ishikawa, Koga etc).