2022 Women's Volleyball Nations League

• If you think that's comparable to only 3 sets won then sure :lol:

Don't underestimate Turkey's flopping abilities. But seriously, Poland, Dominican Rep, Canada, they all have good chances to upset Turkey in that group.

• Oh. I wonder of FIVB will find a replacement event. They usually have main events every year prior to the Olympics (except VNL)

I doubt it. It's part of their thing with players to reduce the number of games played. They needed to keep it this quad because they had a contractual obligation with Japan.

• Btw why are the only two teams from African continent in the same group? Would be more fun if they met different teams than their own continent.

• I doubt it. It's part of their thing with players to reduce the number of games played. They needed to keep it this quad because they had a contractual obligation with Japan.

That's the deal in general, I guess, FIVB will reduce number of games played in exchange of players playing seriously in VNL due to new ranking formula.

• Btw, nice to see Italy wearing their “DHL delivered with pride” jersey winning gold and standing on the podium in Turkey, where gay pride parade is banned and the police even fired tear gas and arrested demonstrators in Istanbul last month.

• Congrats Italy! Ball was well distributed and blocking was great. If they'll continue to play like this specially Egonu, it will be hard to stop them.

Brazil is a promising team. I think most players are still raw but, is almost there. If given more exposure and experience, they'll be a great team again for sure.

Serbia is also a team to look forward to. Once Tica and Maja joins the team, they'll be more deadly.

For WCH, I think the favorites will be Italy, Serbia and USA.

• Which is true. Unfortunately no Mbh, Larson and hill and foluke this time. Drews/JT are both inconsistent. New OHs are poor receivers except of course krob and the MB aren't as good as foluke. Setters and JWO are both upgraded but unfortunately no big changes because they can't score.

• Which is true. Unfortunately no Mbh, Larson and hill and foluke this time. Drews/JT are both inconsistent. New OHs are poor receivers except of course krob and the MB aren't as good as foluke. Setters and JWO are both upgraded but unfortunately no big changes because they can't score.

I would say maybe the middles aren't as good at scoring in attack but both are better blockers than Foluke (blocking was never her main skill. For OHs that's hard to compare USA happened to have 3 (maybe 4)of the top 10 OH in the world on one team. Anything else would be a downgrade but I think most people would take most of the OH left on USA. They will be fine they need time to gel.

• From what I have read, Heynen said that in Turkey, alcohol is not consumed, and he’ll be living in Turkey for the next two years. <X

Mmm, it is not sold in the hall like in many european organisations. But otherwise you can buy alcohol anywhere in Turkey unlike Sweden, where you can buy it from a specially designed shop which is open certain hours during the week and saturdays.

• I would say maybe the middles aren't as good at scoring in attack but both are better blockers than Foluke (blocking was never her main skill. For OHs that's hard to compare USA happened to have 3 (maybe 4)of the top 10 OH in the world on one team. Anything else would be a downgrade but I think most people would take most of the OH left on USA. They will be fine they need time to gel.

People aren't really appreciating how solid Kelsey was in this VNL (outside of her two errors to end sets against Serbia)

She hit .300 efficiency, 44% terminating, 3.78 kps. (for comparison, all higher than Gabi)

Frantti was amazing (and should be talked about more... if Karch wasnt a flop.)

She hit at .429 efficiency, 55.7% terminating (no other pin hitter was even close. Plummer and Egonu were both at 49%), 4.59 kps

• efficiency

terminating

kps

Please a dictionary???!! jk

• the singular favorite for WCH is Italy. They simply have the best draw (is there a bigger joke than Pool A?).

Even more so if ZCN isnt there and Brazil doesnt sort their Bergmann replacement.

They would need some of their Olympics curse to show up to not make the final.

I fully expect the Chinese outside hitter/libero/setter shitshow to continue

• From what I have read, Heynen said that in Turkey, alcohol is not consumed, and he’ll be living in Turkey for the next two years. <X

He said that indeed, right before the ceremony I think because they didn't give alcohol to the athletes and hosts post-match lmao. I don't even understand this obsession with alcohol tbh but yea like if you're going to live at a country, the least you can do is know more about it than assumed stereotypes that are literally wrong.

I'm not surprised at his ignorance though :D

• I actually decided to delete my post regarding what Heynen said as this is VNL thread. Meatballs sorry, this has nothing to do with you or your response. Let’s keep talking about volleyball.

congrats to Italy. As Davide said during his interview after the second set, I agree they could have done better but they managed to win it after all. I feel like both teams felt the pressure, I just wish there were a 5th set. I remember Brazil vs Italy final in WGP 2017 and it was so entertaining. Congrats to Serbia as well, with Tica, Popovic, and possibly Maja(?) joining, they will be stronger.

• the singular favorite for WCH is Italy. They simply have the best draw (is there a bigger joke than Pool A?).

Even more so if ZCN isnt there and Brazil doesnt sort their Bergmann replacement.

They would need some of their Olympics curse to show up to not make the final.

Pool A might be a joke but it will get merged with Pool D which is the hardest.

Well, depending on who goes for CHN and BRA i guess. Still, I think my point stands.

Which teams are podium contenders in Pools B and C? Just SRB, USA, and TUR IMO.

• As for Turkey, I don’t think this was unexpected at all. At least not for me. There are problems and unfortunately Gio is one of them. While I strongly disagree that he should be sacked, there should be some sort of intervention or sorts. I am not going to talk about individuals but in areas where we lack the much needed contribution, I see no improvement or try adapt someone suitable. I don’t know what could change in two months.

I saw a comment on social media a while ago but can’t find it now but it basically said Gio was able to leave Germany or the Netherlands when there was a better offer or basically just because he got bored but he can’t do this with Turkey because he lives here and his club is here. I cannot help but wonder if he got bored indeed but can’t leave due to aforementioned reasons.

• Pool A might be a joke but it will get merged with Pool D which is the hardest.

Well, depending on who goes for CHN and BRA i guess. Still, I think my point stands.

Which teams are podium contenders in Pools B and C? Just SRB, USA, and TUR IMO.

D is the hardest as in the most teams competing for the top spot?

C is the hardest to get the top spot.

Brazil and China both have messes going into the WCH. My opinion can be revised if ZCN is there or Brazil figures out Ana Cristina/Rosamaria... but right now... Italy would much rather cross with D than C.