2021 FIVB Boys' U19 World Championship // Iran

• Starting on 24.08.2021

u19mondialiIran.jpg

There's no website yet with official rosters, a week prior to the event (...), so I have no idea what squads were summoned by the coaches. And due to COVID we haven't had some Youth competitions, and the others were postponed, and the others were played with some teams lacking, so it will be a lottery, every coach from what I've read is repeating the same. But my guesses:

- Iran will be dangerous and maybe even a team to beat, they played four friendlies against Italy in July and won 3 of them easily;

- Italy is ECH champion in this age category, but there was no Russia at the event due to COVID, and they played at home, although right now they have stronger roster than back then, so should compete for a medal;

- Poland has solid group, but lacking any spectacular talent, it's the lowest team height-wise of Poland I've ever seen, I'd take bronze medal here and run;

- Belgium should be a dark horse here, their best player Ferre Reggeers already played as 17yo in friendlies against Poland in June (against senior NT, with Leon and Kurek), and was one of the best players of ECH U20 last year, he's a big talent, but I don't know if he will be even called up here;

- Bulgaria could be dangerous, but they organize WCH U21 with Italy, and some players (Tatarov and Nikolov) played with that team in friendlies, so I don't know if they play full-strength here, two weeks before that tournament;

- Belarus and Germany were average at last year's ECH U18, Belarus was beaten easily by Poland in friendlies recently, Russia is a huge question mark, because they didn't play at ECH U18 at all due to COVID (and they were bad at ECH U17);

- I have no idea about Argentina, I know only one player from this age category (OH Rojas), because there was no South American U18 Championship due to COVID as well;

- and - again - I have no clue about these exotic countries if they can pull off the upset, maybe Nigeria, they won continental qualies, but it's a reach.

If all teams played with full squads, from what I know about these players, these are guys that I am familiar with (from Europe):

- Luca Porro (Italy, OH, MVP of ECH U18, although he didn't play in friendlies before a tournament, so I wonder if he's healthy, he's really big talent)

- Mattia Boninfante (Italy, S, Brizard-like setter, with huge serve and nice setting skills for this age category; yes, he's a son of...)

- Arthur Bento (Brazil, OH, tall, athletic, hyped a lot in Brazil)

- Kamil Szymendera (Poland, OH, gifted technically)

- Ferre Reggeers (Belgium, OPP/OH, tall, athletic, two years ahead of his age category)

- David Kollator (Czech Republic, OPP, tall, left-handed, was a leader of Czechs team at ECH U17/U18)

- Alexander Nikolov (Bulgaria, OH, son of Vlado Nikolov, athletic, and yet technically gifted)

- Georgi Tatarov (Bulgaria, OPP, good jump and athleticism)

But it's all based on previous junior tournaments in Europe, in these youth categories many things can change in a year, if I get any feedback, maybe I'll make an update when rosters of all teams will be known. If not, sorry to bother. :teach:

About formula: four teams from each group will advance and then play knockout phase from 1/16 (B1vA4, and so on) based on seeding. Brazil-Italy will be played on the first day, so it's getting spicy from the start.

Last but not least:

Do you remember when after tragic death of Vigor Bovolenta, special, annual (???) event of Bovo Day was started, and in a game between Italy NT and former Italian players, at some point 8 or 9yo son of Vigor, Alessandro took the court and served an ace?

He's now 18yo, over 200cm tall easily, and he'll be probably a starter of Italy as an opposite, Ravenna native, playing in this city youth sector. I don't think as far as I saw him at Italian NT U17 Champs that he's any big talent if I'm being honest, Mattia Orioli is a real talent from his team, who was already promoted as 17yo to Superliga level in Ravenna, but it's still a really cool story if he's able to make it on some decent level.

• Seen Brazil's roster on IG and their group looks huge. Apparently nine athletes are over 200cm though I'm not to sure how good they are.

saishuu or Sidney who's the one to keep an eye on?

• Seen Brazil's roster on IG and their group looks huge. Apparently nine athletes are over 200cm though I'm not to sure how good they are.

saishuu or Sidney who's the one to keep an eye on?

Yeah, they're huge! N. 19 (Arthur) and possibly N. 14 (Maicon) are the ones to keep an eye on. I'm completely unfamiliar with the rest of them, so I can't really say much else lol

• Yeah, they're huge! N. 19 (Arthur) and possibly N. 14 (Maicon) are the ones to keep an eye on. I'm completely unfamiliar with the rest of them, so I can't really say much else lol

Brazil's next generation for mens and womens (U18) are really standing out with their height. What did you guys change in your diet to get so big? Lol :lol:

The libero #7 is even bigger than #3 who I'm guessing is possibly a setter.

• Brazil's next generation for mens and womens (U18) are really standing out with their height. What did you guys change in your diet to get so big? Lol :lol:

idk, but I wouldn't complain if some of these boys and girls manage to become good volleyball players :lol:

I think #3 is a setter who's 187cm. The libero is 193cm.

• Brazil's next generation for mens and womens (U18) are really standing out with their height. What did you guys change in your diet to get so big? Lol :lol:

Stealing from Basketball once again :lol:

• These guys started as basketball players?

I'm kidding. It's an inner joke in Brazil because Oscar Schmidt (former basketball player and legend) once said that volleyball was stealing players from basketball, and that was the reason why our basketball NT has been bad for years.

• I'm kidding. It's an inner joke in Brazil because Oscar Schmidt (former basketball player and legend) once said that volleyball was stealing players from basketball, and that was the reason why our basketball NT has been bad for years.

ironically, that's the opposite of here. Basketball (and other money sports such as Am. football/baseball) have been stealing players from volleyball because the money (and scholarship) potential is way less :lol:

• ironically, that's the opposite of here. Basketball (and other money sports such as Am. football/baseball) have been stealing players from volleyball because the money (and scholarship) potential is way less :lol:

I think it has to do with the popularity of the sport in the country too. In Iran kids now are more likely to choose playing volleyball than basketball and the money is also not bad.

• I'm kidding. It's an inner joke in Brazil because Oscar Schmidt (former basketball player and legend) once said that volleyball was stealing players from basketball, and that was the reason why our basketball NT has been bad for years.

In my area a lot of basketball or american football players play volleyball when their season is done as another sport to stay active and fit. Volleyball is just a side hobby for them. It's hard to fill teams here with real volleyball players so the coach gets athletes from other sports to join. It's actually kinda sad.

• ironically, that's the opposite of here. Basketball (and other money sports such as Am. football/baseball) have been stealing players from volleyball because the money (and scholarship) potential is way less :lol:

Basketball used to be "big" here, but in the last two decades it's just been :gone::gone::gone::gone::gone:

• If I'm not wrong, Maicon (from Brazil) was kinda stolen from basketball indeed lol He was on the fence on both, but I remember reading about how Sada Cruzeiro offered him more opportunities, which made him choose volleyball instead.

• Russia is a huge question mark, because they didn't play at ECH U18 at all due to COVID (and they were bad at ECH U17)

This is the Russian roster

S: Maxim Kirillov (2.00), Nikita Borchikov (1.91)

OP: Nikolai Zubov (1.99), Timofey Tikhonov (1.98)

MB: Daniil Ivanov (2.04), Mikhail Sidorenko (2.06), Vasilli Tarasenko (2.05)

OH: Mikhail Labinskii (2.02), Kirill Vlasov (1.97), Klim Mozzhukhin (1.93)

L: Mikhail Kashtanov (1.80), Danila Ischenko (1.81)

There are some players missing like Kuleshov (2.12, Opp), Klyavzer (Oh), and Motorygin (Oh). IMO, the most promising players here are Labinskii and Kirillov, both were on the last Russian SL (on the bench, of course).

This team doesn't play together since 2019 and, as you said, the results weren't good, but there are new players, especially in the positions they struggled with back then (setter and libero). Also, the coach was replaced. Let's see how they do, I think they'll struggle a bit in the first round because they didn't even have friendlies :gone:

Here (link) is the official IG account of the U19 team, so you guys can check it if you want :box:

BTW, is this the Poland team? Or just a club representing Poland with some NT members? It's a 2003-04 tournament.

• There are very few countries in which volleyball is more popular than basketball.

I think just in Brazil, Poland, Italy, Russia, Japan and Cuba the public have preference for vball (probably Iran can be added after this last decade). Unsurprisingly, they are also the historical powers of this sport.

• There are very few countries in which volleyball is more popular than basketball.

I think just in Brazil, Poland, Italy, Russia, Japan and Cuba the public have preference for vball (probably Iran can be added after this last decade). Unsurprisingly, they are also the historical powers of this sport.

Volleyball is considered the trendiest sport in Iran these past few years. Schools all over the country have made it one of the sports to learn during PE. Local volleyball compeitions are also as huge as football.

There's also Philipines. Their local female players have more than 1M followers and none of them are those "viral" types which is surprising.

• Volleyball is considered the trendiest sport in Iran these past few years. Schools all over the country have made it one of the sports to learn during PE. Local volleyball compeitions are also as huge as football.

There's also Philipines. Their local female players have more than 1M followers and none of them are those "viral" types which is surprising.

Yeah but Basketball is absolutely MASSIVE in Philippines. Their number 1 favorite sport by a mile even though they aren't really that good at it.

I now remembered one other asian country in which Volley wins: Korea.

• BTW, is this the Poland team? Or just a club representing Poland with some NT members? It's a 2003-04 tournament.

I think it's SMS Spała team, the school organized by Polish Volleyball Association where almost all of Polish youth players on NT level traditionally play for until they finish high school, but it's basically Polish NT without few names. The team is coached by Michał Bąkiewicz, Polish international who played for many years for Skra Bełchatów and won ECH 2009 as a starter, and he's present there. The weird thing is they lost this friendly (if this is really Loko Novosybirsk youth team), while they defeated regular Russian NT in this age category few times.

Thank you for some feedback!

• Hi folks,

Here is official website for a tournament, but only (as for now) with wide squads, but all these aforementioned players by me are present there if I see it correctly --> https://en.volleyballworld.com…/competitions/m-u19-2021/

According to FIVB website, all matches will be streamed by Volleyball World profile on YT, same as U20 Women's WCH was broadcasted -->

Dominican Republic had to withdraw from a competition due to COVID --> https://en.volleyballworld.com…yball-boys-u19-world-cham