2021 African Women's Volleyball Championship

• it doesnt look like it from my quick searches (but you would know better than me or maybe google LOL)

241451630_2098846326935940_1827962942114513037_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=7N0UA-IIgBsAX94b4kd&_nc_ht=scontent.foma1-1.fna&oh=76fc45eee56e124e73cd31fd84d748a9&oe=616B3E61

Yeah, unless they picked some very specific Brazilian players with local surnames that I don't know about, these guys are probably all from Rwanda indeed lol

• Yeah, unless they picked some very specific Brazilian players with local surnames that I don't know about, these guys are probably all from Rwanda indeed lol

According to volleybox and websites from Rwanda, Paulo is their head coach :D

rwandan_players_and_head_coach_paulo_de_tarso_l_celebrate_after_scoring_a_point_during_the_win_over_nigeria_on_monday_september_13_at_kigali_arena.webp

• oh shit :gone:

• I did read that Rwanda was concerned about national security efforts (due to FIVB's ban) and I was confused.... guess that explains some of that

CAVB wanted Rwanda to continue without the Brazilians.

• Wow. I think FIVB should sanction CAVB. I have no idea what they can do, but it's really serious, considering the teams were playing for African Championship title and WCH spot.

• Wow. I think FIVB should sanction CAVB. I have no idea what they can do, but it's really serious, considering the teams were playing for African Championship title and WCH spot.

It really sucks for a team like Cameroon, who had a chance to get their spot based on ranking.

They'll probably do what AVC did and give it to the top 2 teams. (CAM and Kenya)

which would suck for Nigeria... who wouldn't have a chance and they're one of the ones who started the stuff with Rwanda.

• OMG, it's unbelievable what's happening in Rwanda now! (Then I checked and discovered that Paul Kagame is still their President... He's been the President since 2000 and de facto leader of the country since 1994 - yeap, that year. :white: But this explains a few things.)

It really sucks for the players... It's unbelievable the way this has been handled... No words...

By the way, among the 4 Brazilian players Rwanda enlisted, the only one I know is opposite Aline Siqueira. In Brazil she's known as Wime, and she played for a few smaller teams in the Brazilian League in the past, like Rio do Sul and Mackenzie - and also Curitiba a couple of years ago. I read she was Rwanda's best scorer in one of their matches. Maybe for Rwandan technical standards she could do well, but I hardly think she'd be able to match the best players from Cameroon and Kenya.

So, in the end, what was all of this for? :wall:

• OMG, it's unbelievable what's happening in Rwanda now! (Then I checked and discovered that Paul Kagame is still their President... He's been the President since 2000 and de facto leader of the country since 1994 - yeap, that year. :white: But this explains a few things.)

Not sure what you're suggesting but he's part of the Tutsi minority who were victims of the genocide, not the perpetrators.

(Sorry for the off-topic)

• I mean part of the reasoning that Rwanda has been hosting a ton of events this year is that Rwanda wants to be the place for sports in Africa to be hosted.

https://african.business/2021/…events-after-hosting-bal/

Still with that said, this is on the coach/Rwanda volleyball federation. Getting a player's country transferred is a long and drawn out process and hence just flipping was not going to work. Remember this is the biggest international tournament in African minus the All Africa Games.

Now with the CAVB, Rwanda is basically going to be a huge no-go zone. 2 year penalty by FIVB potentially, so I guess Egypt, Tunisia, Cameroon and Kenya will be the primary hosts for future events.

• Anyone knows why Egypt and Tunisia were absent in this tournament. Especially Egypt had some interesting players that might play in international club level. Pity that there's no consistency among African teams

• Anyone knows why Egypt and Tunisia were absent in this tournament. Especially Egypt had some interesting players that might play in international club level. Pity that there's no consistency among African teams

No idea. According to the info from Nigerian press, 16 teams were supposed to play this competition. Later, there was information about 15 teams.

Eventually, we have only 9 teams playing.

• Did Senegal forfeit their match today?

They withdraw from the competition. I saw that information on CAVB's facebook page.

• Part of it was that they were eliminated with two losses as the winner of Morocco-Nigeria was supposed to advance to semifinals. However with the delay in play for two days, the federation may have made the call to get out of the country Sooner than later, in case things got worse.

As for Egypt and Tunisia, it may have been just cost savings sadly.

• OMG, the competition went on! :white: I had no idea, I thought it had been called off for sure...

So, they had 5th place match, semifinals, 3rd place match and the final all played today (Sept. 19).

As expected, Cameroon and Kenya both beat Morocco and Nigeria and met in the final. Cameroon won 3 x 1 and it was the champion. Both Cameroon and Kenya are qualified to the WCH'22.

Congratulations to the winners, I guess? I mean, all things considered, I think they ended the tournament the best way possible. It would have been nonsensical not to finish it.

(I think Tunisia kind of got screwed, cause they ended as 5th, but they were in the same group as the finalists, so they had no chance playing group A teams... but in the end, I think (???) positions don't matter any more with the new ranking system? I actually have no idea what's going on with the ranking, I leave it to you guys... :lol: Anyway, not like it would make a great difference.)

BTW, matches, including awarding ceremony, are available at the RwandaTV Youtube channel.