2021 South American Championship - Colombia

• Congrats Colombia! This is indeed HISTORIC. Unbelievable. Inacreditavel. Last time Brazil lost a match in this competition was in 1993 :!:

When they lost the final against Peru. It was 28 years ago. Really, unbelievable. Wow! Just wow! Like Fabi is saying, just 2 years ago, it was just crazy to think Colombia could defeat Brazil.

Totally deserved the ticket for the next WCH :super:

• Brazilian federation sucks with the youths teams.

• Brazilian federation sucks with the youths teams.

agreed, but this has nothing to do with the youth teams, it was about the adult team playing like absolute garbage this entire tournament. they played like they didn't even care against all the other teams, not just today

• Amazing display by Colombia. To bad that they lost by Peru.

I didnt watch that match, but for me it was really totally unexpected Colombia lost against Peru. Not only cuz of Peru was without Leyva and Zoila La Rosa (best Peruvian setter nowadays), but also cuz Peru brought many youngsters who are super "green" and not proper for international level. At the same time, Colombia had already defeated Peru a lot of times in the last years (in this same competetion, Panamerican Cups, Panamerican Games in Lima, etc, etc, etc). It was indeed shocking.

Plus, cuz of Peruvian coach (who is Spaniard) is just :gone: Just check how his players serve and the non existant block.

• Brazil were really lazy and unprofessional this tournament, they didn't deserve to win

• Congrats Colombia! What an upset:white:

I really like their OH Amanda, which club does she play ? I’m pretty sure she can perform well in Brazilian league.

My only thought on Brazil is Ze should really have sent a mixed team here and rested the main players who played the whole VNL & OG already. All of them were out of form and most of them aren’t young anymore, it’s just unnecessary to overuse them in such tournament.

• Yikes. Did not see that coming, I bet no one did.

Right now it must be the weirdest feeling for everyone, the girls, the fans, etc... Cause we won but we really did not win. Hopefully this teaches a few things for us in the future... I still think we can have a good run next year in the WCH if the work is good.

I'm kinda bummed that ZRG didn't allow Aninha to have this experience. I think he was worried about her playing and the team failing and her being Mari'd like in 2004. But failure also means baggage. It'd be important having her on the team in the 3rd and 4th sets, for example, to see what she'd be able to do. Now, we failed all the same, but having on court Gabi, Natália, Rosa obviously in poor shape and Lorenne for like half a set. Anyways...

Kinda rooting for Coneo to get MVP... Bet she and her whole NT would freak out... And, to be perfectly honest, no one from Brazil really deserves it... Alas...

• I guess if you wanted to make any excuses, it's that the tournament being held the same year as the Olympics (which never happens) took a toll on the team. This Brazilian group has been playing almost non-stop since May after all. Colombia and the others are a lot more rested. But still, the days where Brazil could easily win this are most definitely over.

• Congrats Columbia! What an upset:white:

I really like their OH Amanda, which club does she play ? I’m pretty sure she can perform well in Brazilian league.

My only thought on Brazil is Ze should really have sent a mixed team here and rested the main players who played the whole VNL & OG already. All of them were out of form and most of them aren’t young anymore, it’s just unnecessary to overuse them in such tournament.

Amanda Coneo plays in the French League. She has already played two seasons there. Just think she started her international career playing in a poor Peruvian club, one from the outskirts of Lima, training in cement courts, not with the proper teraflex court for vball. What a way to go!

Ps: It is Colombia, not Columbia. Columbia is a river in USA, as well as the poetic way to call the Americas or some natural features in North America.

• Congrats Columbia! What an upset:white:

We didn't have other players to be called... Our season already has started.. for instance, Ze refused to call all of their players from Barueri because it would hurt their State Championship campaign.

• I didnt watch that match, but for me it was really totally unexpected Colombia lost against Peru. Not only cuz of Peru was without Leyva and Zoila La Rosa (best Peruvian setter nowadays), but also cuz Peru brought many youngsters who are super "green" and not proper for international level. At the same time, Colombia had already defeated Peru a lot of times in the last years (in this same competetion, Panamerican Cups, Panamerican Games in Lima, etc, etc, etc). It was indeed shocking.

Plus, cuz of Peruvian coach (who is Spaniard) is just :gone: Just check how his players serve and the non existant block.

Yeah, Peru was definitely a surprise.

I think their setter (Almeida, IIRC) played ok, now and then would set the MB's... Yllescas especially helped them a lot with her experience... But Peru's standouts were definitely their OH's... They were playing Ortiz and Frias as starters... Frias did better than I expected, but I don't know if she was used to this position in the Peruvian League... But then tiny Lobaton replaced Frias (I think their coach did this throughout the whole competition) and she totally fired the team. The Colombians were not able to stop her and they were also very dependent on Coneo, she'd be the only one scoring consistently. Margarita was a shadow of herself compared to what she did today.

• Amanda Coneo plays in the French League. She has already played two seasons there. Just think she started her international career playing in a poor Peruvian club, one from the outskirts of Lima, training in cement courts, not with the proper teraflex court for vball. What a way to go!

Ps: It is Colombia, not Columbia. Columbia is a river in USA, as well as the poetic way to call the Americas or some natural features in North America.

Thx for the info!

Have edited the original post, blame the iOS auto spell correction:D

• We didn't have other players to be called... Our season already has started.. for instance, Ze refused to call all of their players from Barueri because it would hurt their State Championship campaign.

It’s unfortunate then. Just hope the veterans won’t get any injury due to lack of rest as they have to start their club season immediately after this…:aww:

• Mimi Sosa should have been the 2nd MB, not Soto and Coneo was robbed, she was the true MVP... And I'm not a fan of Bulaich, it would be fun if Novoa were picked for the team instead.. maybe Patiño instead of Rizzo too

• anyway, I guess this was the last tournament for NTs worldwide? Asian championship got postponed, right? if so, onto the club season :super: