Italy - Superlega 2021-2022

• Good move for him, although Bottolo is a leader of Padova and one OH spot is probably reserved for him, both Loeppky and Petrov are very inconsistent, and Padova as a team struggles in reception (Bottolo is their best receiver, and he's definitely not a great receiver, lol), so he may find some playing time very early despite his young age.

On the other hand, Nishida's injury is more serious than it was anticipated earlier and it is possible he'll stay away from playing for a month.

• Good move for him, although Bottolo is a leader of Padova and one OH spot is probably reserved for him, both Loeppky and Petrov are very inconsistent, and Padova as a team struggles in reception (Bottolo is their best receiver, and he's definitely not a great receiver, lol), so he may find some playing time very early despite his young age.

On the other hand, Nishida's injury is more serious than it was anticipated earlier and it is possible he'll stay away from playing for a month.

Is Nishida’s injury related to the old one he had before?

• Yes, Nishida got his calf injured in a game against Civitanova after he landed awkwardly on court after his attack motion. I don't think it is that serious (although it is rumored that Vibo Valentia, alongside Kuzbass, wants to acquire Stern from Piacenza, where Lagumdzija is, theoretically, a starting opposite), but these injuries in general are really troublesome. On another forum I once read a wise comment, that was a quote from some Russian coach (? I don't remember correctly), that those smaller, but jumpy players who base their style of play on vertical jump, jump high, but not for long. In other words, when you play on OPP position with such a big load as opposites regularly get in terms of number of spikes, it is really hard to maintain your physical shape on top level for a long time. We see that clearly on examples of Poletaev, who is injured for 50% of time, or Wlazły, who barely played for two seasons for NT since he was 25. And I'm really afraid that it may be a case with Nishida as well, who is even bigger outlier than Poletaev or Wlazły regarding his dependence on his vertical jump, and his body being even more sensitive and exposed to any physical stress. He's deadly fun to watch, so I hope he'll be fine, but it will be reaaaaallly demanding for Nishida not to get overuse in both club and NT in a near future.

• I read on Pasini's blog that Piacenza refused to give them Stern

Yeah, to be honest, unless there's some buyout clause in Stern's contract, I don't think Piacenza will allow him to leave until they receive some golden offer from Russia. Firstly, Piacenza has a really big budget, and these buyouts in volleyball in most cases aren't too high (150k-200k at best, only Giannelli and Voronkov from a recent memory are contrary examples), and secondly - Lagumdzija is still very inconsistent as an opposite, he has had some from-hero-to-zero streak of performances this season, and Stern has played regularly as a sub past few games, and he even received an MVP award against Cisterna, so it's not like he doesn't get a chance to play at all.

Regardless, Vibo Valentia with an absence of Nishida is in really difficult spot, they're 2-6 as for now, and in next four games they'll play against Monza, Perugia, Padova and Piacenza to finish the 1st phase of regular season, until they find a decent replacement, only this game against Padova would be winnable, and Padova so far has played much better this season than VV with Nishida.

• Regardless, Vibo Valentia with an absence of Nishida is in really difficult spot, they're 2-6 as for now, and in next four games they'll play against Monza, Perugia, Padova and Piacenza to finish the 1st phase of regular season, until they find a decent replacement, only this game against Padova would be winnable, and Padova so far has played much better this season than VV with Nishida.

Agree, even with Nishida they can only be competitive in some sets of these matches but I don’t see any chance for them to win against these teams. Vibo has no reliable hitter to kill the balls. Nishida wasn’t that effective in kill% (but can’t really blame him as other hitters in the team were nearly invisible other than Douglas, who is just… fine but I expected more from him)

• Juantorena said in an interview that, despite valid contract with Civitanova to 2023, it is possible that he'll leave a club (and Italy) after this season ends because he's tired and unmotivated, and this week's CWCH may be his last. He mentions Asia again as his possible destination.

Sounds like the end of an era.

• Juantorena said in an interview that, despite valid contract with Civitanova to 2023, it is possible that he'll leave a club (and Italy) after this season ends because he's tired and unmotivated, and this week's CWCH may be his last. He mentions Asia again as his possible destination.

Sounds like the end of an era.

“I am tired and unmotivated so I am going to Asia”. that’s insulting.

• “I am tired and unmotivated so I am going to Asia”. that’s insulting.

Not really though, I think Asian (male) clubs are completely fine with having past of their prime stars with popular names. And Juantorena has all rights as a player to go for a 'retirement' like this. He said in this interview that MAYBE he'll play in Japan or China, and he's a diva, so maybe he'll change his mind and wait a year longer until his contract expires, and leave Italy in 2023.

• Not really though, I think Asian (male) clubs are completely fine with having past of their prime stars with popular names. And Juantorena has all rights as a player to go for a 'retirement' like this. He said in this interview that MAYBE he'll play in Japan or China, and he's a diva, so maybe he'll change his mind and wait a year longer until his contract expires, and leave Italy in 2023.

I guess today marks the day as the first time I have a disagreement with you :)

One might say, "Playing in Europe is too demanding, I am old, tired, and unmotivated. I need to find a new adventure where I will be able to refocus, and spend more time with my family." Yet Juantorena said, "I am tired and unmotivated. I might play in Asia." according to your interpretation, which, by the way, I make my observation on.

• I guess today marks the day as the first time I have a disagreement with you :)

One might say, "Playing in Europe is too demanding, I am old, tired, and unmotivated. I need to find a new adventure where I will be able to refocus, and spend more time with my family." Yet Juantorena said, "I am tired and unmotivated. I might play in Asia." according to your interpretation, which, by the way, I make my observation on.

I guess every top player plays in Asia because he can earn there more money with less demanding season, and because they won enough in their careers not to focus on club achievements, so it's not like Juantorena said anything new or original. He said in the other interview that he has some friends playing in China like Marouf, so it may be a nice to play with them there. But he didn't say that he'll play in Asia for sure, he just said he's tired and it's hard for him to find motivation to play, and in Italy he won't play for any other team than Civitanova, so Asia is a serious option.

I remember when Giba was going to play in Odintsovo in 2007, he was saying in every place that's a new adventure for him and that's why he moved there etc. - and Lloy Ball publicly said that he's lying and it's a b.....t, because every foreigner playing Russia does it for money. His point was it's a great league, but basically no foreigner would choose living in Russia over eg. Italy and all these long-distance travels for the same money. So I don't have any troubles in players saying it straight about their motivations, my problem is when players are not playing their best in Asia despite huge salary they get. Ball was playing amazingly 'for cash' in Dinamo Kazan, Muserski and Kurek are killing it as well in Japan, Kaziyski was coasting in JTEKT from time to time leaving it all on Nishida's shoulders.

• What happened? :what::what: Vibo let go all the foreigners or just Douglas?

Allegedly, he and his partner have problems with adaptation in Italy, but there's no press release as for now from either club or a player. He started this season really well, but soon after he was as weak as Vibo Valentia in general, so if they can find a decent replacement they'll be fine, but the problem is they probably won't, there are rumors that Fromm may join TCCVB, and he's past prime of his past prime shelf.

• Allegedly, he and his partner have problems with adaptation in Italy, but there's no press release as for now from either club or a player. He started this season really well, but soon after he was as weak as Vibo Valentia in general, so if they can find a decent replacement they'll be fine, but the problem is they probably won't, there are rumors that Fromm may join TCCVB, and he's past prime of his past prime shelf.

I think they are also looking for an OPP. There were rumors of Paul Buchegger but I am not sure if Spor Toto would let him go. Fromm is, uhm, not good.

• I think they are also looking for an OPP. There were rumors of Paul Buchegger but I am not sure if Spor Toto would let him go. Fromm is, uhm, not good.

Yeah, they'll probably be in a relegation spot after 1st phase of a regular season, so some moves are a necessity, I don't think they can get any point against Padova or Piacenza without Nishida and Douglas. The problem is that I don't think, financially, Vibo Valentia can strengthen their team that much, the problem is all Mauricio, Nishida and Douglas for different reasons play waaay below their contract value, I suppose. Buchegger would be fine, but Nishida will be back in few weeks, so first and foremost they need some decent OH. And Fromm is basically useless even against French league.