Italy - Superlega 2021-2022

• Congrats to Lube! They are a better team in this series. IMHO, Simon is the MVP. When Simon is on the front row, he can easily draw attention of Perugia's block, which gives a lot of open opportunities for the teammates attacking at pos 4 and 2. Balaso played much better than Colaci on the contrary. DeCecco also outplayed Giannelli in this series.

Another disappointing season for Perugia, No one in Perugia played on their normal level in this series.

• Best player of Lube: Rychlicki

Rychlicki's spike error at match point in CL semi was Perugia's mental trauma. They're still not recovered. LOL

• It's so funny how no one ever listens to Blenigini during time outs ;(;(

He should receive big congratulations for this season tho, had Juantorena out for the whole season basically, Zaytsev returned in January and played generally so-so for most of the time, some problems before CL leg with Jastrzębski with Yant, difficult schedule (CWCH) and players leaving Civitanova already for the next season (Simon, possibly Juantorena), had to play with completely inexperienced players like Yant and Garcia for majority of the season as well - and yet they won it. Perugia, on the other hand, had very comfortable situation and yet Grbic completely overused Leon to the level that he had knee injury before crucial part of the season, so they flopped badly in CL and in a league.

With Lucarelli and Simon out, this is some end of an era (esp with the latter, clearly the best Civitanova player right now), but they won 3 scudettos, 2 Coppa Italias, Club World Championship, Champions League in 3,5 years basically (considering COVID break), this is really impressive considering Italian standards.

• Even though Perugia didn't win the scudetto,

could we agree that Modena was the most disappointing top team this season?

(They didn't even win CEV cup:gone:)

Hmm I disagree. They had no middles and an average libero. They still almost reached the finals against the top team of the regular season.

I still think Perugia was the biggest loser as expectations were much higher on them (probably budget too?) after grabbing Giannelli from Trento.

Also let's be real, who cares about CEV Cup lol

• Hmm I disagree. They had no middles and an average libero. They still almost reached the finals against the top team of the regular season.

I still think Perugia was the biggest loser as expectations were much higher on them (probably budget too?) after grabbing Giannelli from Trento.

Also let's be real, who cares about CEV Cup lol

I think Modena is the biggest loser as next season they again will have to play the CEV Cup, which I absolutely agree no one cares lol

They can only wish the Russian teams still being banned and 1 more CL slot to be given to Italy.

• I think Modena is the biggest loser as next season they again will have to play the CEV Cup, which I absolutely agree no one cares lol

They can only wish the Russian teams still being banned and 1 more CL slot to be given to Italy.

Yeah, I can't disagree with that lol Didn't think of it that way oop

• Modena had legit chances to make it to the finals, but Leal kicked Travica and got injured then, so yeah, this is disastrous season for them all things considered. What's the difference between being 4th this year and 5th last, while they probably doubled their budget and took Ngapeth, Nimir, Rossini, Bruno and Leal?

But Perugia are losers as well, everything did happen in favor of them from rivals perspective: Lavia got injured before CL leg and was out of shape in 1st game/Kaziyski got injured in 2nd game and didn't play in Golden Set --> Leal got injured in the semis after being suspended for two additional games --> Juantorena got injured for the whole season basically. This is laughable that they didn't exploit this more.

Piacenza will play Cisterna on Friday to determine which team will play in Challenge Cup and finish 5th this season, and it will be the last game of the season.

• He should receive big congratulations for this season tho, had Juantorena out for the whole season basically, Zaytsev returned in January and played generally so-so for most of the time, some problems before CL leg with Jastrzębski with Yant, difficult schedule (CWCH) and players leaving Civitanova already for the next season (Simon, possibly Juantorena), had to play with completely inexperienced players like Yant and Garcia for majority of the season as well - and yet they won it.

I agree the team did much better than what expected given the circumstances, but I just can't avoid laughing everytime he talks during time outs and everyone minds his own business :rolll: I think he's doing something right of course but I'm still dubious on his influence on the team

• Might be asking for too much here, but can anyone enlighten me on what's up with this Alberto Polo case? I keep seeing news about him on volleyball.it for ages now and I think it's related to doping, but I don't understand much and I'm curious lol

• Might be asking for too much here, but can anyone enlighten me on what's up with this Alberto Polo case? I keep seeing news about him on volleyball.it for ages now and I think it's related to doping, but I don't understand much and I'm curious lol

You're in luck lol, I was just re reading about it given the recent developments, it's a whole mess :rolll:.

The timeline more or less is like this:

-In March Polo was found positive to a bunch of substances during a random doping control in the playoffs and gets a precautionary disqualification waiting for the trial

-The day after the disqualification, Piacenza release a statement saying it was contamination due to some medications (he was just coming back from covid)

-One week later Piacenza fires their fitness coach without giving any info about it, which is a particularly weird timing considering his contract was expiring at the end of the same month. He doesn't say anything either but just that he will talk in time.

-The trial gets delayed a bunch of times and in a interview to the press Piacenza's doctor says that he never prescribed any sort of medication after Polo had covid

-In July during the first trial Polo gets 2 years disqualification. The trial and the acts weren't public so there's not any info other than that. Piacenza doesn't say much other than the medications weren't prescribed by their staff. Polo doesn't say anything either (he hasn't at all since the start of the thing)

-In January there's the appeal and Polo gets an even worse sentence going from 2 to 4 years of disqualification (maximum appliable if i understand correctly). Again the trial and deliberations weren't public but it comes out that during it was confirmed responsability also from other people and not just Polo and they will have to stand on a different trial. No names come out but it's obviously speculated it's the Piacenza medical staff. Still no statement from Polo.

-Last week it comes out that both Piacenza's doctor and fitness coach were found innocent in their appeal, while according to rumors (still no public acts) they were both found guilty on first degree and given a very harsh sentence (allegedly 6/8 years) basically implying Polo did all by himself.

-Yesterday for the first time since everything started Polo gave his first press statement since the whole thing started saying basically that if they're innocent his sentence doesn't make sense cause it was given on the basis of their involvement and that it was basically implied there was a whole doping program on the team and everyone knew about it and reiterates that he only had contacts with them so it had to be coming through them or he's also innocent.

I don't know what to think about it tbh but honestly no one is coming out great from this situation lol

-

• This is wild, thank you so so much! Being out of the loop on this was firing up my curiosity considerably lol

• what do you guys think about Diego Cantagalli? I remember him as a big prospect a few seasons ago, wasn't he? I remember he was sent to A2 to develop experience but I am surprised he still plays there. I have checked his stats but I'd like to know your opinion of him and if there are inside information.

• what do you guys think about Diego Cantagalli? I remember him as a big prospect a few seasons ago, wasn't he? I remember he was sent to A2 to develop experience but I am surprised he still plays there. I have checked his stats but I'd like to know your opinion of him and if there are inside information.

Well, I've always considered him overhyped because his father was a true legend, he was pretty weak at ECH U19, not that much better at ECH U20 (he was a starter but so-so) - at U21 WCH he was a sub of Kristian Gamba (left handed, 190cm), and Gamba played better than Cantagalli at any point in these Italian Youth teams, so besides famous name I've never thought of him as a big prospect. The player hyped the most from 99/00 very early was Gardini IMHO, he had not only a name but was also very decent, and if there's someone that fell of a cliff it's him (Lavia, Recine and Bottolo are now considered better/higher in De Giorgi's hierarchy; he was a sub already in juniors if IIRC).

That being said, Cantagalli was really good this season since he was finally healthy (and the same last season prior to being switched to OH/getting injured), and in the playoffs he was a clear leader of Reggio Emilia. I still don't think he has NT-potential, or international potential, and he may be still too weak to play on Superlega-level (error prone, not that much athletic, and A2 level isn't nearly as high as it was in the past), but if Reggio Emilia plays in Superliga next season, he has earned at least rotation spot, so good for him. In other words, he proved me wrong in a way. And who knows, we know what happened with Romano. If Reggio Emilia doesn't commit to play in A1 and sells its spot, then yeah, I agree that it would be perhaps better for him to move abroad (France?) than to stay in A2 since he's already won it, lol.

Maybe voulter has some inside knowledge/different views.

• I don't have any inside knowledge but I agree, most of the hype around Cantagalli was due to being the son of a past legend. I don't think either he has international potential, right now he could be a decent back/ maybe an ok local for a lower ranking team right now in A1 and I agree moving to France or somewhere else would be the best move for him