Italian Men's NT 2022

• sloth

Changed the title of the thread from “Italian NT 2022” to “Italian Men's NT 2022”.
  • Ivan Zaytsev continue to play for the national team?

Zaytsev said multiple times that he's willing to play for NT under De Giorgi, and recently he said that he talked to De Giorgi prior to the ECH. So he's not retiring from NT, but I think he won't be ever granted a special spot in NT like he was under Blengini when he played whenever he wanted, and his last appearances in NT (ECH and Tokyo) were horrible regardless of that. IMHO Zaytsev under De Giorgi would be ''one of many'', alongside much younger players, so he would have to prove he's worth a spot as a starter etc., I'm curious if this can work. Idealistically, Zaytsev in shape is much better than Pinali, and Romano won't play as a starter in Milano, so nevermind about him. But there's some risk that he may interrupt dynamics of a new group of new players, so we have to wait how De Giorgi will plan it, and more importantly, how his recovery will finish, because he won't play (at least) until late November/early December.

• Italy's roster for the VNL:

• Setters: Simone Giannelli, Riccardo Sbertoli, Paolo Porro, Marco Falaschi
    • Middle blockers: Gianluca Galassi, Simone Anzani, Lorenzo Cortesia, Fabio Ricci, Marco Vitelli, Roberto Russo, Leandro Mosca.
    • Liberos: Fabio Balaso, Leonardo Scanferla, Alessandro Piccinelli
    • Outside hitters: Daniele Lavia, Alessandro Michieletto, Mattia Bottolo, Francesco Recine, Oreste Cavuto, Davide Gardini, Fabrizio Gironi
    • Opposites: Giulio Pinali, Yuri Romanò, Ivan Zaytsev, Tommaso Stefani
  • Italy's roster for the VNL:

• Setters: Simone Giannelli, Riccardo Sbertoli, Paolo Porro, Marco Falaschi
    • Middle blockers: Gianluca Galassi, Simone Anzani, Lorenzo Cortesia, Fabio Ricci, Marco Vitelli, Roberto Russo, Leandro Mosca.
    • Liberos: Fabio Balaso, Leonardo Scanferla, Alessandro Piccinelli
    • Outside hitters: Daniele Lavia, Alessandro Michieletto, Mattia Bottolo, Francesco Recine, Oreste Cavuto, Davide Gardini, Fabrizio Gironi
    • Opposites: Giulio Pinali, Yuri Romanò, Ivan Zaytsev, Tommaso Stefani

looks good except for Zaytsev. Tomasso Rinaldi should have been invited, as well.

• Yeah Rinaldi out but Cavuto and Gironi in it's weird. I think also Di Martino deserved a call

I think Rinaldi will be a leader of U-22/B team this summer with this new age category introduced (ECH U22 will be played in the middle of July, qualies are in May), that's why he's not there. Di Martino is the only weird absence for me.

• I think Rinaldi will be a leader of U-22/B team this summer with this new age category introduced (ECH U22 will be played in the middle of July, qualies are in May), that's why he's not there. Di Martino is the only weird absence for me.

Yeah I think so too for Rinaldi, but I think he would have been still good to add him to the VNL squad at least for the first/first two week

• Zaytsev is being sent to play Mediterranean Games.

• De Giorgi said in an official statement that this was technical decision and Zaytsev was behaving perfectly throughout the preparations, I wonder where's the truth. It's irrelevant tho, even bigger pressure on Romano than in Bologna then.

• Arguably Zaytsev was not at good as Mikhailov or even Anderson as Opp in their peaks, I still think his experience will be useful to Italy. He can be good backup to Romano or even play as OH2.

• No Laurenzano? Really?

the philosophy of our NTs is that we left the young players with the junior teams. Laurenzano is in u21 i think.

• 1. He's much bigger talent than a player right now, he was like mediocre libero in Superlega (maybe 7th-8th best) this year.

2. He has U-21 duties, so having as 3rd-4th libero on camp doesn't make too many sense.

I agree with not calling Laurenzano to the senior NT but not beacuse he has U21 duties but because there are better options than him atm. Duties at the U Championship could never prevail those of the senior NT.

• Doesn't Bovolenta has U-21 duties too ? so why dose he get to train with senior team ?

I think the logic is: Bovolenta has chances to get significant playing time this year, Laurenzano not.

I agree with not calling Laurenzano to the senior NT but not beacuse he has U21 duties but because there are better options than him atm. Duties at the U Championship could never prevail those of the senior NT.

I'd say: playing time in senior NT >>> full camp in junior category and junior events > zero playing time in senior NT, but call-up, with junior duties disturbed.

If he was at best like 4th-5th best option for De Giorgi, it didn't make sense to call him up, that was my point.