USA Athletes Unlimited 2022

• What is Fairs doing om court?:gone:

• This was taken almost 15 years ago lol

• Heather Cox saying nice things about Brazil and Brazilian volleyball <3

• Gabi really said those words. :white:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I will admit, Sheila was for me as a USA fan and absolute pain with the Brazilian team in the early to mid 2010s.

It always seemed that she would get important points at the worst times for the USA in finals matches. While the USA could not keep the opposite position consistent after Hooker.

She was a part of that Golden generation from 2006-2016, that seemed to win nearly every thing except the World Championships.

After 2016’s loss in the Olympics to China, which in my mind should have been a Brazilian finals appearance, my view changed on Shiela. I later realized, she was the quiet one, who let her play do the talking. Jacque could melt down after a mistake. Thaisa would just explode after a block or kill, Fabiana the same as Thaisa, but Shiela was the one that was the go to, when it was needed and more often than not delivered, and then allow the rest of team to feel confident.

In the domestic league she was kind pushed to the curb and international club teams said no thanks, so when AU came calling, it was attractive to her even with Covid.

We all know the she’s a mom from Brazil comment, which while not the best way to start her introduction became a rallying call for her. Do not disrespect this woman, by the end of the 6 weeks, she was her bad self. Even getting called back into NT in the VNL. Being one of the captains during this AU season, still showed she was one of the greats int this sport.

Brazil in the 2006-2016 time frame, was damn tough with Shiela, but without her, they would have been a little worse and probably not as successful. You saw the respect that some of the greats had for her in that video, plus her NT teammates. I would guess that others have spoken with her privately, but still great to see Jordan and Betty give compliments after getting to play with her in the last two years.