Japan Women's NT 2022

• Does anyone here have access to the Volleyball Channel thing in Japan? VTV posts monthly blurbs from it but I've never watched one

Everyone's favorite blogger referenced a recent appearance with Manabe where:

He defined a setter as "a good defensive player"

Sounds like Manabe but I don't trust references without source material

• Does anyone here have access to the Volleyball Channel thing in Japan? VTV posts monthly blurbs from it but I've never watched one

Everyone's favorite blogger referenced a recent appearance with Manabe where:

Sounds like Manabe but I don't trust references without source material

I want to know too. Because I can't find like an access point on JVA's website where you can sign up for it so I always thought it was only available via cable?

• I want to know too. Because I can't find like an access point on JVA's website where you can sign up for it so I always thought it was only available via cable?

I think that's what it is, a cable TV thing

ps - Not that we have a lot of Japanese fans here but it's something that not a single one seems to be in Japan :)

• Youtube video

Oh yeah, they speak Japanese :rolll: I guess I won't be able to confirm the reported remark Re: Manabe saying a good setter is a good defensive player

But the one referenced said it was a dialog between Manabe and Takahiro Yamamoto. I'm not sure who that is. This one looks to be between Manabe and Shunichi Kawai

Here's the second part of the that one

• I wonder if Manabe has any interest in Himeji setter Miki Sakurai? I'm very surprised she was fan-voted into the baby pool thing coming up. I have , personally , not accepted her as anything special -- in fact I kinda/mostly don't like her because she is a zero defensively (and she benched my love Nao Horigome), but I know Takeshita loves her

If there's any truth to the Manabe proverb: "A good setter=a good defensive player" I'm not worried

But the Manabe/Himeji/Takeshita thing may have subterranean undercurrents

If Saori Sakoda ever name drops her I'll get nervous

• Bring it on :!:

• Hochi wrote an article calling out JVA to wipe out the remaining members of the board after several JVA higherups were found guilty of forging documents etc. another factor to the "volleyball crisis" - only beach volleyball and the women's team seem to be affected by this crisis. There's also that really minor snow volleyball category that barely has any staff or players registered and is temporarily being handled by Ski Association of Japan. The men's team have been fortified with resources and global support so on their own they're basically JVA.

These are the remaining 20 members of the board in case you guys are curious including Naomi Masuko who has actively spoken out about JVA's shortcomings under her separate project Naomi Masuko Cup and is supported by other veteran volleyball players. Masuko was added earlier last year iirc in order to meet the quota of female members in the board.

A lot of people including players have reacted to the article btw

• I don't fully understand all this stuff but It's long been clear to me that this Shimaoka dude was an uncaring, not so bright villain , which is the nicest way I can say

• Combination of probably seniority, number of men coming from either business or sports without a ton of interaction with women other than (subordinates, executive assistants and office staff), and much of the later may be do this (paperwork, coffee, etc.) for me. Japan is known to be sexist and lack of their voice especially in this game in the country in managerial (not coaching or announcing) positions is sad. They just had the best women’s generation in 30 years retire. Put them into some leadership positions. Many of them are coaching kids or commentating. Plus a number of them played overseas and can possibly show what running a professional organization looks like.

At some point I think Manabe /Takeshita runs the whole organization because of success with WNT plus creating a brand new team with numerous decent sized sponsors.

The organization is not hard to sell to people in Japan because of the countries success in the sport previously. Plus with Fuji’s Haruko coverage and hosting of the World Champs in the past.

Right now, JVA has to promote the men’s team like crazy because the women are just not on their level. Go back a decade, it is the other way. Plus, with many of the national team playing overseas in Italy or Poland draws more attention to them in one of the best leagues in the world.