Japan Women's NT 2022

• Airi Miyabe’s interview for Volleynews :rose: She would like to play abroad and said she can play both outside and opposite.

Play abroad on a club level, right? Would she sign up for a Japanese team, now that she's also part of the NT? :/

Also, how does playing for a university club work in the US? You can only play if you're a student there?

• Play abroad on a club level, right? Would she sign up for a Japanese team, now that she's also part of the NT? :/

Also, how does playing for a university club work in the US? You can only play if you're a student there?

NCAA requires that you as a student take classes and get passing grades. She has now graduated from college.

Airi went to a junior college (credits can transfer to other colleges) first, to improve her English, while playing as a student. Had to play two years at a school in Idaho. From there, she was accepted to Minnesota as a student, who also played on the volleyball team.

Many students right out of high school are offered scholarships, where the university pays tuition and room and board for the student/player (student-athlete is the preferred NCAA term). However, the scholarships are really on an annual basis by each school and if a coach leaves, the new coach can say, I don’t see you in my plans. Student is then free to go elsewhere, but may not get scholarship at other schools, unless offered. At schools with steady leadership, scholarships to players are usually kept, unless player wants to leave, due to playing time, other issues.

not uncommon to see some players switch even between big schools. Lexi Sun going from Texas to Nebraska as a surprise.

• Play abroad on a club level, right? Would she sign up for a Japanese team, now that she's also part of the NT? :/

Even when she first got into the NT wide roster back in like 2015/16 she already made it clear that she wanted to play overseas. Her little sister Ameze doesn't want to do V.League atm but I think she's more flexible than Airi in terms of placement.

• Apart from Shimamura, is there any potential youngster within this MB batch? Haven't followed with V-leauge much this seasion so pretty curious how the local MB performed thus far. I can see both Yamada and Hirayama from 2019 U20 Team were called and Ogawa of Toray seemed to popped up pretty often on the V-leauge thread :read:.

• Apart from Shimamura, is there any potential youngster within this MB batch? Haven't followed with V-leauge much this seasion so pretty curious how the local MB performed thus far. I can see both Yamada and Hirayama from 2019 U20 Team were called and Ogawa of Toray seemed to popped up pretty often on the V-leauge thread :read:.

I think the potential youngsters could be Yamada, Ogawa, Sasaki? The others didn't really stand out to me, but they could be hidden gems all the same!

• Even when she first got into the NT wide roster back in like 2015/16 she already made it clear that she wanted to play overseas. Her little sister Ameze doesn't want to do V.League atm but I think she's more flexible than Airi in terms of placement.

It could be hard for Ameze to get an overseas placement if she's not that well-known within the Japanese volleyball scene (usually overseas clubs will pay attention to the "stars" or top players). It'll be interesting to see what happens after she graduates from Tokai!

• NCAA requires that you as a student take classes and get passing grades. She has now graduated from college.

Airi went to a junior college (credits can transfer to other colleges) first, to improve her English, while playing as a student. Had to play two years at a school in Idaho. From there, she was accepted to Minnesota as a student, who also played on the volleyball team.

Many students right out of high school are offered scholarships, where the university pays tuition and room and board for the student/player (student-athlete is the preferred NCAA term). However, the scholarships are really on an annual basis by each school and if a coach leaves, the new coach can say, I don’t see you in my plans. Student is then free to go elsewhere, but may not get scholarship at other schools, unless offered. At schools with steady leadership, scholarships to players are usually kept, unless player wants to leave, due to playing time, other issues.

not uncommon to see some players switch even between big schools. Lexi Sun going from Texas to Nebraska as a surprise.

Ohhh interesting. Thanks for the explanation!

Nanami Asano from Denso is the youngest member of the squad at 19. A curious pick. She didn't stand out much

Hiroyo Yamanaka is a fresh Uni girl picked up by Saitama. She was quite good in college but it's a big leap to NT. Speaking of leap, at 180cm she clocks in with a 314cm spike

I think SAGA's Asuka Hamamatsu might give everyone a run for their money. She's kind of a quiet beast who should make everyone better, trying to keep her from stealing their spot

Chihiro Sasaki is also a curious pick. She's one of those Himeji fashion girls, but you could really see her improving her game over the last couple years. Improvement rocks. Surprisingly, she has a little violence in her swing. Violence rocks, too

• `I'm pretty sure he's talking about men's volleyball in this scenario.

ah yes. Got my blinders on :lol:

• The MBs from NEC (Shimamura + Yamada, and actually even Nojima but she's not in NT) and the local MBs from Hisamitsu (Hirayama + Hamamatsu) are my favorite MBs for the National Team this year. Ogawa is a really good attacking MB too, but not a good blocker compared to the others.

• It's said

Where? By whom?

It wouldn't surprise me though. She's probably not naturalized yet so couldn't compete this year but she's going to be there at some point . Might as well get a head start

• Ogawa is a really good attacking MB too, but not a good blocker compared to the others.

Ogawa is a bit short (1.78m) for MB standard. Not sure if it's gonna work out for her like Mai Yamaguchi or she's gonna be another Mai Okumura in national team.

I think SAGA's Asuka Hamamatsu might give everyone a run for their money. She's kind of a quiet beast who should make everyone better, trying to keep her from stealing their spot.

The MBs from NEC (Shimamura + Yamada, and actually even Nojima but she's not in NT) and the local MBs from Hisamitsu (Hirayama + Hamamatsu) are my favorite MBs for the National Team this year.

I just rewached the V-league final 1 - JT vs SAGA and was quite surprised to see Hamamatsu there instead of Hirayama. Her offense game looked pretty solid though, obvs not in Foluke's level but a lot better than Akutagawa and Thatdao on the other side.

• surprised to see Hamamatsu there instead of Hirayama

Hirayama didn't dress for the last few weeks of the season. She must be nursing some injury. I'm a little worried about her. She's been more not dressed than dressed in her time with SAGA

• Ogawa is a bit short (1.78m) for MB standard. Not sure if it's gonna work out for her like Mai Yamaguchi or she's gonna be another Mai Okumura in national team.

I just rewached the V-league final 1 - JT vs SAGA and was quite surprised to see Hamamatsu there instead of Hirayama. Her offense game looked pretty solid though, obvs not in Foluke's level but a lot better than Akutagawa and Thatdao on the other side.

What do you mean by instead? Both girls made the wide roster. I still think Saga's Araki Jr. is the strongest. I hope she works with Fukazawa and Mandai next season. I guess there's no chance of Shion getting converted to OP but she could fill that spot better than Nakagawa imo.