Japan Women's NT 2022

• Japan will send representatives to the Domovip Winter Cup (under Cornacchia World Cup) on February 24-26, 2023

The category for the Girls is Girls U16.

They already had training camps for the selection and the list of Junior HS participants are here: JVA Junior High School Camp

lol ... I got excited by this Cornacchia tournament a few years ago when little Japan Girls won it, but then they canceled and rescheduled the thing 19 times over the next few years. It appears they actually pulled one off for 2022. There are no teams listed for it at vBox. The whole Team formation thing for it is weird, or at least European :lol:

Doesn't look like Japan is sending girls to the U17 or U19

• JOC competition -- Played boldly against opponents taller than us

:rolll:

• Miyuki Kano brought her deaf volleyball team... I don't know what the politically correct term for that is... during the JT home game last January 21.

Her team is registered with JVA but I saw an article that deaf players do not qualify at paralympics to prioritize other disabled players so JOC created Deaflympics specifically for deaf athletes. I'm still not sure how it works. If I remember correctly Naomi Masuko's deaf team would play against other "normal" students.

• Miyuki Kano brought her deaf volleyball team... I don't know what the politically correct term for that is... during the JT home game last January 21.

Her team is registered with JVA but I saw an article that deaf players do not qualify at paralympics to prioritize other disabled players so JOC created Deaflympics specifically for deaf athletes. I'm still not sure how it works. If I remember correctly Naomi Masuko's deaf team would play against other "normal" students.

There is a Deaflympics, which is sanctioned by the IOC. Per wikipedia, "To qualify for the games, athletes must have a hearing loss of at least 55 dB in their "better ear". Hearing aids, cochlear implants and the like are not allowed to be used in competition, to place all athletes on the same level."

Paralympics per Wikipedia, "The Paralympic Games or Paralympics, also known as the Games of the Paralympiad, is a periodic series of international multisport events involving athletes with a range of physical disabilities, including impaired muscle power and impaired passive range of movement, limb deficiency, leg length difference, short stature, hypertonia, ataxia, athetosis, vision impairment and intellectual impairment."

Going back to deaf volleyball, I was the head coach of volleyball there in 2010 and 2011 at the Oregon School for the Deaf (OSD), which plays sports in the lowest level of high school sports in the State of Oregon. "Lowest" level in the state of Oregon is for the number of students attending the high school. In Oregon there are six levels, 6A has at least 1000 students enrolled, while 1A has 74 student or less enrolled.

It is a unique environment as most of the students live on campus during the week (Sunday night to Friday afternoon) and return to their homes on the weekends. Some students do live in the town or their parents will drop them off everyday. This includes kids from elementary through high school in this environment. Because we were so small, we had the middle school and high school do things together, but usually focused on ball control, serving and spiking (from anywhere on the court). Also trying to get kids to read the ball (depth and pace) without being able to yell in out, deep, left, right was something that we had to teach and observe. I had one player who would be in the front row and get out of the way with a serve because she thought the ball was going back row, and it would land right where she started.

• Our school also got on the American TV show, Extreme Makeover Home Edition in my first year of coaching there, which was an interesting experience. The school has a haunted house that helps pay for field and sports team trips (there are deaf tournaments for basketball in certain regions of the country). The show redid the Haunted House for the school.

As coaches of our teams, we were kind of obligated to volunteer for the Haunted House on Weekends. I will say after our final game of the season on a weekday, our team wanted to get back to school as soon as possible, albeit being an hour drive, which would not have allowed them to get dressed up in time anyways.

These two years were a great experience for me and even makes me appreciate David Smith on the USA men's national team even more from his success being a deaf person.

• I've always wondered how deaf players signal each other in a team game. Not just volleyball but all team games. Do they require a different kind of referee?

I've seen deaf hockey at my university years ago, our uni team was out so they used the rink for practice. There wasn't really any significant difference as far as I could tell but I'm not much of a hockey enthusiast myself. The only thing I noticed was that their matches were a lot shorter than the usual 2 hr hockey game (intermissions included)

• I've always wondered how deaf players signal each other in a team game. Not just volleyball but all team games. Do they require a different kind of referee?

I've seen deaf hockey at my university years ago, our uni team was out so they used the rink for practice. There wasn't really any significant difference as far as I could tell but I'm not much of a hockey enthusiast myself. The only thing I noticed was that their matches were a lot shorter than the usual 2 hr hockey game (intermissions included)

there are some referees who do learn sign language, with them they try to make slight adaptations, but also it depends on say basketball for the scoring table and who is working there. I did help out with that from time to time. In American football, you have to be very demonstrative as an official to make sure the play stops.

for volleyball the biggest problem is when you think the ball is dead but not. As a hearing person you can hear the whistle not be blown. But as a deaf person, many times you have to go by sight, so as the coach I learned to stay on the bench, and if I got up, point was over, or jumping up to show that we did win the point, or we need to still play.

really most everything is the same, but reminding players to look at the official (especially with middle school or high school players) at the start of play for service. Also trying to remind them and the referee to allow them to get to their serving spot before signaling.