China NT 2022

• he will try his "innovation": LYY makes the outsides unbalanced, hence, he will start Jin Ye and Wang Yunlu both at outside! :rolll:

absolutely genius move. midas touch. :rolleyes:

pls do not jinx this

edit; although on second thought. I wanna see the two of them both at outside against Korea. Let’s see if they score 1 point per set too. If they lose a set, then only bring in LYY.

• I expected 5W 4L at this point, except I expected to lose to turkiye instead of thailand, and the losses are annoying because it's not like the opponent played so well, they did not (for all four matches), we were not able to capitalize on our own chances.

Agree. What annoys me is that they’ve really only been able to win because of how poorly their opponent did, instead of them actually playing to their normal level. Unless this is the normal level?

While watching the KOR-THA game yesterday, I saw comments saying that Korea now is what China could be in a few years’ time, and it is scary to think that it could very well be true. As you mentioned, the only post 00 star there’s been is LYY, and she cannot play every position. Even she is already 22… We aren’t training our young players in top competitions, instead sending them to irrelevant U20 or U18 comps… Come on. Imagine if GXY was playing at some U18 comp during Rio.

I don’t know if there’s a star of Zhu’s caliber who’s 16/17 just waiting in the wings (Wang Yifan?), but it seems like the best China can do are 2 mature and mediocre OHs, and a 27 year old main libero with no international experience.

• Agree. What annoys me is that they’ve really only been able to win because of how poorly their opponent did, instead of them actually playing to their normal level. Unless this is the normal level?

While watching the KOR-THA game yesterday, I saw comments saying that Korea now is what China could be in a few years’ time, and it is scary to think that it could very well be true. As you mentioned, the only post 00 star there’s been is LYY, and she cannot play every position. Even she is already 22… We aren’t training our young players in top competitions, instead sending them to irrelevant U20 or U18 comps… Come on. Imagine if GXY was playing at some U18 comp during Rio.

I don’t know if there’s a star of Zhu’s caliber who’s 16/17 just waiting in the wings (Wang Yifan?), but it seems like the best China can do are 2 mature and mediocre OHs, and a 27 year old main libero with no international experience.

Hiw is the U20 irrelevant? Thet's where they all start.

• I just say the sentence, "No ones miss Wang Meng-jie unless no liberos are better than she."

Even Song Xin-yu in Shandong was better than she in Season 21/22.

Please don't think other overseas people didn't watch and know about Chinese League 21/22!

Just as many people missed Wang Yi-mei and Zhang Lei from 2014 to 2016, we all knew that they hardly returned!

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Hiw is the U20 irrelevant? Thet's where they all start.

I think what Ollie was referring to is that some of the younger U20 players could very well be playing here at VNL where the level is much more higher instead of there.

Playing at a youth tournament is a good start, but if a player that has potential can play beyond there then why not give them a shot. Some U18/U20 players aren't able to perform to their best level because other positions are be lacking. Example Wang Yindi at the recent U18 competion was rarely used because the setter can't set her. If she were to play with an older setter in another competition she can very well be more effective while gathering experience at the same time. Not to many U18/U20 OHs and liberos can receive well limiting middles with their attack, but if you were to have them play with more reliable passing then they are given a better chance.

• Haha I’m still here! Actually I was pleasantly surprised by the CHN v BRA game outcome. I should really have higher expectations of the team and all things considered the fact that they lost even with the outpouring of gifts from the Brazil team AND THE REFEREE really belies how mediocre the team is at the moment, but I was convinced they would lose 3-0 that I rushed home to catch the game bc I assumed it would end in under 1:30 😂

I think they deserve their current spot in the tournament rankings, because they’re a mediocre team right now. Weibo was going on about how the two alternating OH scored a total of 5 points in the 5-setter and that it was actually -3 from if we include their errors… I mean if this is the depth China has, it is depressing to see how the mighty have fallen…

and noted, post match reports will return! 😊

:wavy:

Super to hear from you again.

Yes, it was depressing to watch the last few vb matches involving China:(

but at least the tennis (Wimbledon) and badminton (Malaysian Open) kept me going....and not forgetting the synchronised swimming :lol::lol::lol: ....at least China is winning there :cheesy:

• I think what Ollie was referring to is that some of the younger U20 players could very well be playing here at VNL where the level is much more higher instead of there.

Playing at a youth tournament is a good start, but if a player that has potential can play beyond there then why not give them a shot. Some U18/U20 players aren't able to perform to their best level because other positions are be lacking. Example Wang Yindi at the recent U18 competion was rarely used because the setter can't set her. If she were to play with an older setter in another competition she can very well be more effective while gathering experience at the same time. Not to many U18/U20 OHs and liberos can receive well limiting middles with their attack, but if you were to have them play with more reliable passing then they are given a better chance.

Absolutely !

I think the best players, regardless of age should be picked for important tournaments....including VNL this year....(due to ranking points being considered for Paris24)

Re. Wang Yindi, initially she received few, poor quality settings, and then in the 5 set finals against Japan, she (and no.13) were overused and left exhausted, their legs gone....

It was hard to watch. :|

• Just bring back Zhang Changing and Zhu Ting already until the next gen arrives, they're still young. (Making me realize they literally won Rio OGs as adolescents :super:)

We need Zhu to show the world once more what she's got... whenever she is healthy ofc.

And she better come back to VB, I have a selfie with her from 2016 as a 17 yo. We need an updated 2020s version :!:

• Just bring back Zhang Changing and Zhu Ting already until the next gen arrives, they're still young. (Making me realize they literally won Rio OGs as adolescents :super:)

We need Zhu to show the world once more what she's got... whenever she is healthy ofc.

And she better come back to VB, I have a selfie with her from 2016 as a 17 yo. We need an updated 2020s version :!:

is there a hint she’s going somewhere....over to basketball perhaps ? :what:

I hope not :aww:

World Championships, front row seats, you Julian Chow and I :super:

• Just as many people missed Wang Yi-mei and Zhang Lei from 2014 to 2016, we all knew that they hardly returned!

People missed them because of sentimental value, not because fans thought they'd make a difference or anything.

• I always wonder why he doesn't especially when things aren't going well then I look back at Jiangsu and he always used the same lineup there too. :gone:

Does he have an allergy to change, or is it because he placed all his eggs into one basket?

• People missed them because of sentimental value, not because fans thought they'd make a difference or anything.

I'm missing Wang now because she is better than the liberos China has at the moment, and of course I'm basing this assumption off her previous performances (before Olympics) :gone:

But maybe it's not that the players who are bad, just that their defense is not organised tightly enough? Since the block and the digs do work together to create a defense where the front players try to kill block while the back players cover the empty holes in the block

• Thoughts everyone?

OH:

LYY - What’s to say… Same story every game, we live and die by her condition… I noticed her right thigh is heavily taped; and I seriously hope that it’s nothing serious, but China overusing their best player as always

JY - I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: she sucks. I’m sorry. She really does. I don’t know what it is exactly so those more familiar with VB techniques pls let me know, but she just can’t seem to jump high enough, hit fast/hard enough, or read plays well enough. Plus the errors she makes, I don’t know how useful she is on court. Only positive is her back court defense today was decent

MB: yes the blocks are back!

WYY - never thought I’d see the day WYY becomes the best MB in China 😳

YXY - she is improving

S: Same problems honestly, issue setting to 4, but overall a decent performance

OPP: GXY looked tired today and made a fair few errors but her fatigued > anyone else. In the little we saw of CPY, she looked a little slow? I’m guessing we will see her in the match against Korea.

L: Ok credit where credit is due, WWY looked much better today. I’m wondering why Poland’s libero who I remember being pretty strong looked less effective today…

Overall I think China benefited from Poland being tired after the game against Italy less than 24 hours before. Luckily they actually capitalized on this instead of crumbling, but it’s partly because Poland isn’t exactly a top team atm.

Hoping this game gives WYY even more confidence in the coming matches. She seems like a confidence player.

• Well, Jin Ye's 7/19 is better than 9/35 or 8/22...

China played well in first set but let their foot off the gas.

honestly it felt like neither side was trying after set 1

• LYY is so precious that even a slightest hint of injury can make me miss a heartbeat !

:what: