China NT 2022

• Every team faces injury problems, but they usually have reliable backups....many of us feel the coach could have done better in team selection. Nothing can be done now, we’ll just have to live with it, and hope for the best....

There is a Malay proverb “Nasi sudah menjadi bubur” means “the rice has turned into porridge”...

The issue here is that the way that stupid coach is using them, these main players will be prone to exhaustion and injuries!!!!

• Just a little bit off topic, but can you explain me better why they have changed the game style and biotype of Chinese players so much? I do have a big affection for Chinese volleyball and try to follow them as much as I can, because when I started watching the sport in early 2000 and fell in love with it, I admired a lot their style. Their generation consisting in Feng Kun, Zhao Ruirui, Yang Hao, Zhou Suhong and Liu Yanan, among others, was fantastic. Too many quick plays. They were complete. And a few years later till now, they seem to have preferences for taller and "heavier" players who let their game overall slower and very different than the traditional Asian style.

Lang Ping was done with shorties after she commentated the London quarterfinals match.

But it's also about working with what you got. If all we got are Zhuang Yushan and Wang Yifan, gotta play Asian volleyball.

• It is said that Wang Meng-jie had a fever as the same reason as Li Meng in basketball.

It should not be C***D-19.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Welcome to Chinatown, thi_bene666! Love seeing the convo between you & our regular Julian Chow 😊

After the frustration of the last game, I still think that I am overall quite happy with the performance our ladies had in the past week. Very few of us thought that they’d beat Japan so soundly (tbh I am always hypercritical so I thought that they wouldn’t even win a single game 😂😂😂) and to be very fair, Brazil had an off night against Japan, which was why I thought that we actually had a chance.

Huge positive I’ve seen this week is the middle attacks have been REALLY GOOD. Hats off to YXY & WYY for holding the fort and showing why they deserve to be on the team. Their moving blocks could improve, but I think they’re still warming up.

LYY has also proven herself reliable on all fronts - I actually wrote an essay pre-WCH looking at our view of LYY at 22 vs Zhu at 22 (was going to publish but got lazy lol), but her performance thus far has made me revise some of my conclusions. Wonderful performance so far and I will pray to all deities to ensure her safety and longevity as a player bc she has SO MUCH TALENT to give.

Gong has always been my underrated fave, so seeing her struggle and the vegetable bun forcing her to hobble on court has been very frustrating. Huge props to her for her steely determination, and I hope they are treating her injury as well as possible.

WMJ has also been a wonderful surprise. Regardless of WWY’s mediocrity, I’m happy WMJ got a rest this because her at full strength is the cornerstone of the team’s success and I am glad more of us are realizing that.

Also, glad that WYL is finally performing averagely instead of terribly.

Alas, Cai Bin continues to be a negative. May his pillows always be lumpy and rooms always stuffy.

• Ah ok, got it. Pretty nice! I've heard the Chinese communities are spread in this region. There are a lot in places like Singapore, too. I've met some ethnical Chinese here as well, especially when I used to attend a Buddhist temple focused in their community. Not easy, almost everything was in Chinese mandarin lol but I loved their food.:heart: Part of them came from Taiwan too, where this organization was created.

My guess the charity organization is Tzu Chi -- https://www.facebook.com/TzuChiNoBrasil/

Chinese food...yummy !

We don’t get much news on the Chinese community in S America.... usually they come from Peru, but I have read about the ‘Chinatown’ in Sao Paolo. Btw, some of us have a pet name for this thread....”Chinatown” :lol:

ha ha ha ha -- wherever there's a sizeable Chinese community there is one... food, TCM, clothes, pastry, porcelain, tea, and many typical stuffs related to Chinese culture.

Well, it's tough for the current Chinese team with no Zhu and Zhang around to compete at the highest level... I wish both of them will recover fully in time, and can rejoin the NT for the Paris 2024. Who's the better player to replace WYL? Admittedly she works hard but just not good enough to compete at the highest level (within Asian competition WYL is just fine), recall she's at the same generation as YXY in junior team. The younger generation like CPY and WYZ still not shine enough to be relied on this level of tournament. Even excellent libero is a scarcity. After LYY (and perhaps YHY), have not seen any excellent new player comes into the team. [sigh] Need stronger effort to develop volleyball in early schools to have bigger pool of *excellent* players to remain highly competitive at the highest level from generation to generation. BIG BALL games in particular require the support of physicality!

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• My guess the charity organization is Tzu Chi -- https://www.facebook.com/TzuChiNoBrasil/

ha ha ha ha -- wherever there's a sizeable Chinese community there is one... food, TCM, clothes, pastry, porcelain, tea, and many typical stuffs related to Chinese culture.

Well, it's tough for the current Chinese team with no Zhu and Zhang around to compete at the highest level... I wish both of them will recover fully in time, and can rejoin the NT for the Paris 2024. Who's the better player to replace WYL? Admittedly she works hard but just not good enough to compete at the highest level (within Asian competition WYL is just fine), recall she's at the same generation as YXY in junior team. The younger generation like CPY and WYZ still not shine enough to be relied on this level of tournament. Even excellent libero is a scarcity. After LYY (and perhaps YHY), have not seen any excellent new player comes into the team. [sigh] Need stronger effort to develop volleyball in early schools to have bigger pool of *excellent* players to remain highly competitive at the highest level from generation to generation. BIG BALL games in particular require the support of physicality!

The Reverend nun who founded Tzu Chi organisation is one person that I really respect and admire.

As for the NT, I think the future prospects are good...we’ve got a group of 16-22 y.o. players (born between 2000 and 2007) who are very promising....some of them appeared in the AVC cup recently. In fact, while not writing off completely this NT at the WCH, some of us think a better selection could have been picked. Anyway, now we’ll just hope and wait and see...:roll:

• The Reverend nun who founded Tzu Chi organisation is one person that I really respect and admire.

As for the NT, I think the future prospects are good...we’ve got a group of 16-22 y.o. players (born between 2000 and 2007) who are very promising....some of them appeared in the AVC cup recently. In fact, while not writing off completely this NT at the WCH, some of us think a better selection could have been picked. Anyway, now we’ll just hope and wait and see...:roll:

The prospects definitely have potential, but my worry is that the coaches don't always have the right intentions when it comes to their development.

Wu Mengjie (2002) and Zhou Yetong (2002) for example should've been playing for Jiangsu's senior team a lot earlier than staying in the youth team. Both would've been much more ready for WCH by now. Shanghai and Guangdong with Wang Yindi (2005) and Wang Yifan (2005) made the right choice to introduce them to a higher level early on. Tianjin's Wang Yizhu (2001) and Chen Boya (2000) used to be good talents, both around LYY's age, but their progress has been up and down.

• The prospects definitely have potential, but my worry is that the coaches don't always have the right intentions when it comes to their development.

Wu Mengjie (2002) and Zhou Yetong (2002) for example should've been playing for Jiangsu's senior team a lot earlier than staying in the youth team. Both would've been much more ready for WCH by now. Shanghai and Guangdong with Wang Yindi (2005) and Wang Yifan (2005) made the right choice to introduce them to a higher level early on. Tianjin's Wang Yizhu (2001) and Chen Boya (2000) used to be good talents, both around LYY's age, but their progress has been up and down.

Are Chinese 🏐 clubs owned by local / provincial governments? Probably all the domestic companies the central and provincial governments have control to some extent. Maybe they should not mingle and allow the players to transfer to any domestic clubs (free market). Playing overseas will be another story though - the domestic players need approval for sure.

• On going match China vs PRico.....even though we’re 2 sets up, it’s nothing to shout about....P Rico is not offering much resistance. Our blocking is still poor...however, WYL did make 2 wonderful blocks in set 2, which was a pleasant surprise. Chen Peiyan came in at the end of set 2, and scored a point....however...more on her later....