Netherlands NT 2022

• Yeah indeed, that's what she did for 14 years now and she feels like she's done with that. I get that

You are right. She did it for 14 years.

Comparing that with fact that only 7 weeks left before WCH in her home country... I don't want to judge her, but playing WCH in front of Dutch fans would be great summary of her career

• What I meant is the packed volleyball agenda in which athletes have to play 12 months a year. It is heavily and openly criticized recently by many male and female players. If the volleyball calendar doesn't allow you to have some free time in a year (like in any other sport / normal working life) you need to take that time yourself, that is what the players are doing now. If I remember correctly the FIVB and continental federations are working on this issue together with the athletes commission.

Yep. It really sucks that practically all the best players of one of the hosts for World Championships are retiring in the very year of that competition, but this is what volleyball is turning into. If you were to play all the competitions that your club and NT are eligible for (especially as a European), you would barely have few weeks (and probably not consecutively) off in any given year. Year after year of that regime... these are human beings, not robots. Their bodies wear out. FIVB is insisting on "packing" the summer schedule with ever more tournaments, while clubs are equally adamant not to shorten THEIR schedule by any amount of time... something's gotta give, and that something are athletes (especially past a certain age), who are supposed to be the most important part in the equation, but are certainly not treated that way.

• She has been a great captain for Dutch NT for years! A great leader and warrior on court:box: Maret Grothues will be missed, thanks for everything:rose:

• Yep. It really sucks that practically all the best players of one of the hosts for World Championships are retiring in the very year of that competition, but this is what volleyball is turning into. If you were to play all the competitions that your club and NT are eligible for (especially as a European), you would barely have few weeks (and probably not consecutively) off in any given year. Year after year of that regime... these are human beings, not robots. Their bodies wear out. FIVB is insisting on "packing" the summer schedule with ever more tournaments, while clubs are equally adamant not to shorten THEIR schedule by any amount of time... something's gotta give, and that something are athletes (especially past a certain age), who are supposed to be the most important part in the equation, but are certainly not treated that way.

Volleyball calendar is packed but doesn't mean these elite players should play in every single tournament. Many of them skipped VNL for example. Sometimes they also Skip European championship too. But Olympic games and world championship are the most important tournaments of this sport. Playing for couple of extra weeks in front of homecrowd shouldn't be too much to ask but apparently it is for some players.

• Volleyball calendar is packed but doesn't mean these elite players should play in every single tournament. Many of them skipped VNL for example. Sometimes they also Skip European championship too. But Olympic games and world championship are the most important tournaments of this sport. Playing for couple of extra weeks in front of homecrowd shouldn't be too much to ask but apparently it is for some players.

But it's not just those few weeks (closer to a month in this case) that they would dedicate, isn't it? There's the preparation and practice (some NTs are starting to prepare right now, month and a half before the start of the tournament). And for those that are not outright retiring, the club season begins almost immediately after World Championship is over. If they were to come into the squad, cold turkey, after months of taking off what good would they be, really? They would just be well-known names packing the bench (or if on court, actively ruining the game by being completely off rhythm). I doubt even a player as great as Robin would be much good after a 4 month pause with little-to-no volleyball (at least on this level).

• But it's not just those few weeks (closer to a month in this case) that they would dedicate, isn't it? There's the preparation and practice (some NTs are starting to prepare right now, month and a half before the start of the tournament). And for those that are not outright retiring, the club season begins almost immediately after World Championship is over. If they were to come into the squad, cold turkey, after months of taking off what good would they be, really? They would just be well-known names packing the bench (or if on court, actively ruining the game by being completely off rhythm). I doubt even a player as great as Robin would be much good after a 4 month pause with little-to-no volleyball (at least on this level).

I completely agree with you!

Only playing important tournaments and skipping the less important tournaments, will not help at all IMO. It will not be good for team chemistry on and off the court.

Look at Italy for example last year. They didn't play VNL with their best team and flopped big time at the Olympics....

Next to that it's indeed not just the tournament itself, but the whole preparation. In this way, they still will have not that many free time left.

Case of Grothues and de Kruijf is pretty similar to Thaisa her situation. Both had bad injuries on their knees, so they physically aren't able anymore to play a full club season and NT season. De Kruijf said it herself in the podcast; if she doesn't train her body for just a few weeks, it takes her atleast twice as much time to come back to the level she was before. They choose their real job above the pride of playing for their homecountry. I think that's really understandable.

• Playing for couple of extra weeks in front of homecrowd shouldn't be too much to ask but apparently it is for some players.

If you're refering to the Dutch I highly disagree. "Too much to ask" is way too negatively formulated for someone who has been there for 14 years. Besides that, it also gives opportunities for younger players. If Maret would be there, the consequence would be one of probably Savelkoel/Jasper/Knollema wouldn't be there. I agree with the first part of your post tho

• The team started preparations today btw. As far as I could see on social media at least the following girls are there:

Dijkema, Bongaerts, Plak, Buijs, Jasper, Daalderop.

Dambrink, Schoot, Lohuis and Timmerman are most likely there as well. I hope we'll get an official list of players

• I always have the feeling that Selinger is the key factor causing all veterans quit the NT. The experienced players know him well and he’s clearly not the coach they’d look for. But it’s just a “hidden” factor that none of them would speak out. If there’s a more promising coach, I believe most of them would still give another shot at the WCH. (Like If Santarelli was the coach, I’m pretty sure Robin would play)

• I always have the feeling that Selinger is the key factor causing all veterans quit the NT. The experienced players know him well and he’s clearly not the coach they’d look for. But it’s just a “hidden” factor that none of them would speak out. If there’s a more promising coach, I believe most of them would still give another shot at the WCH. (Like If Santarelli was the coach, I’m pretty sure Robin would play)

The list of players who have had problems with him in the past is endless. Especially from his previous years as head coach

• The team started preparations today btw. As far as I could see on social media at least the following girls are there:

Dijkema, Bongaerts, Plak, Buijs, Jasper, Daalderop.

Dambrink, Schoot, Lohuis and Timmerman are most likely there as well. I hope we'll get an official list of players

Van Aalen is definitely out. Potsdam posted a news about the team's preparation and players absent due to NT duties, it says Van Aalen will do the whole preparation with Potsdam. I thought she could challenge Dijkema/Bongaerts already this year, but Selinger thinks different...

• Van Aalen is definitely out. Potsdam posted a news about the team's preparation and players absent due to NT duties, it says Van Aalen will do the whole preparation with Potsdam. I thought she could challenge Dijkema/Bongaerts already this year, but Selinger thinks different...

I think she should have gotten more chances during VNL this year, but I think WCH will be too early for her to be one of the setters. It's the biggest tournament and for now she misses the international experience.

• Some updates I got from the podcast of Dijkema and the others:

- The issue between Laura and Leningradka will go to court as no solution has been found. She has a contract for another 2 seasons but her attorney is working on it. No news about a next club yet.

- Grothues didn't hear anything from Selinger anymore after it was announced she would retire from the national team. Of course she discussed her final decision with him but he didn't contact her at all anymore, only via an article in the media(?!).

They asked her in such a specific manner in the podcast that it really gave bad vibes, especially since her answer was no. I actually start to think more and more he's a big reason many players quit the NT.

- Since the episode was about the role of parents in their careers, an issue with "a Belgian player from Novara" was discussed. Apparently during the last season Britt Herbots father posted something on Novara's website about his daughter not playing was the reason they lost a match. It was a big thing in the Italian volleyball world and Robin said it was widely discussed in Conegliano locker room as well. Everyone was like wtf

• There was an interview in a paper magazine with Nika Daalderop recently. Some highlights:

- She discussed her transfer a lot with Sloetjes. After she called her to tell she got an offer, Lonneke immediatly said to take the offer. "if I can survive Vakifbank, you can do it for sure!" Lonneke told her that everything is perfectly organized and she would learn a lot in Vakif.

- One of the statements she was asked to respond to was: "I hesitated for a while whether to go to vakif, because the trainer there, Giovanni Guidetti, I never really wanted to see again. Her response: "I just joined the NT when he decided to quit. Opposed to the older girls, I wasn't in shock. Of course it was a pity that he suddenly became head coach of Turkey, because I really wanted to work with him"

- After Guidetti left the NT, he sometimes sent a message to Nika, so he kept an eye on her. For example when she played a good match.

- Daalderop had the chance to go to Vakifbank before mid season. That was during her first season in Italy, when she played for Firenze. She was injured, couln't play and had issues with Firenze because of that. I got so heated so almost had to leave the club because she was injured. However, she just turned 20 at the time and it didn't feel right to go to Vakifbank. (I think Di Lulio went there midseason in the end)

- Vakifbank approached her few months ago when the season was still ongoing. She also had some talks with Novara for renewal already. Novara heard of Vakif's offer and set a deadline because both clubs wanted to know where they stood. The deadline was right after a CL match the lost 3-0, their worst match of the season, and on top of that she (her agent) had to tell the club so was going to choose Vakifbank. Her coach didn't talk to her for a week, but after that he started to joke about it. Novara also understood she couldn't decline the offer. It was the only club she would leave Novara for.

- After she made the decision she briefly saw and talked to Guidetti. She will head to Istanbul in October after the world champs

• I remember this episode.

It's right after Novara lost to Moscow in CL and won Bergamo in Seria A. Britt Herbots father posted a comment under the FB account of Volley News, saying "Why Britt never gets a fair chance to play. Lavarini is at zero and hasn't won anything in 3 years. and there was no answer....." .

It was a big thing in italian volleyball world cause not everyday you see a parent of player publicly diminishing and doubting the ability of head coach.

https://www.volleynews.it/brit…il-papa-attacca-lavarini/

• I'm afraid Knip won't be part of the squad during WCH?( Based on her Instagram it doesn't seem she is training with the team... I'm curious if it's her own decision or from Selinger:/

• Serbia beats the Netherlands 3-1 (25:23, 22:25, 25:14,25:16 + Extra set 15-9)

Aleksić :thumbup:

sne1.jpg

Good to see Daalderop back on court^^ Also positive to see Polder getting a chance!

I think we can conclude Knip is out for WCH... I really wonder why, because there has never been any announcement:what: