2022 Men's Volleyball Nations League

• is this really the first time that Brazil wont be #1? (since 2006)

nwa67mxhns180j4eqbh0knhz7clr2pb.png

I had heard during another match today that this is the first time since actually 2003, but I haven't checked it

• And Poland thanks to that took the lead in the world ranking for the first time (?), I believe. :heart:

I don't think this new ranking system is fair, but it's certainly fun to follow, especially when you can lose 5% of your points in one match, lol.

I'm sure you are already, but you guys should be very proud of your volleyball program. Olympics aside, what you guys have been building is excellent.

Brazil surely needed the wake up call, but I guess that's not gonna wake anybody up. With our lack of good prospects, especially in the setting and OH department, we won't be reaching the top again anytime soon. Kinda hurts to see this as a longtime fan, but anyway...

• thats insane actually.

but I guess 5 major titles, but a couple runner up finishes will help that.

I think the female NT was #1 at some point even before the first Olympic gold medal

• just curious, what do you think is unfair?

The match importance for VNL/WCH/OG is a joke in this ratio system (I don't remember specific values, but VNL is very close to WCH), and that's simply not true. Obviously, it was made on purpose (to make teams play VNL more seriously), but no matter how harsh was this today's loss for Brazilian fans, it's irrelevant from the season's perspective, yet has made a huge ranking swing.

But it's hard for me to say how it will work in long run, maybe it makes sense. And I'm not complaining since Poland took advantage of that.

• I'm sure you are already, but you guys should be very proud of your volleyball program. Olympics aside, what you guys have been building is excellent.

On the one hand, you're certainly right, but we're at the peak in terms of our volleyball's quality and we can thrive since Russia is banned, but there are negative signs (generations from '99 onwards are not that spectacular, there's a less interest in volleyball in Poland in general than in the past, it's hard to trust many of our officials, the mainstream environment is a mutual adoration circle etc). It's great, but I'm more in enjoying the moment mode aware it won't last forever.

And I'd have a theory that in sports like volleyball (not mainstream, so not top financially, yet very selective due to height expectations, necessity of having perfect vball program etc) many countries, even those at the top, can have periods of peaking and periods of legit crisis. The same happened to Italy shortly after they dominated worldwide volleyball, and only recently they have developed a strong group of local players and have pretty great potential (top3 alongside Poland and Russia IMHO). And it may be a case with Brazil as well, cause I remember the talk about your 'institutional' problems. Italy has hired Velasco as a director of their youth program etc. so they made some legit institutional changes in reaction to this crisis some time ago.

• How about the health of Leal and Lucarelli? Do you know if they will play in a week?

• How about the health of Leal and Lucarelli? Do you know if they will play in a week?

They will. I would keep the younger guys but Renan...=O

• On the one hand, you're certainly right, but we're at the peak in terms of our volleyball's quality and we can thrive since Russia is banned, but there are negative signs (generations from '99 onwards are not that spectacular, there's a less interest in volleyball in Poland in general than in the past, it's hard to trust many of our officials, the mainstream environment is a mutual adoration circle etc). It's great, but I'm more in enjoying the moment mode aware it won't last forever.

And I'd have a theory that in sports like volleyball (not mainstream, so not top financially, yet very selective due to height expectations, necessity of having perfect vball program etc) many countries, even those at the top, can have periods of peaking and periods of legit crisis. The same happened to Italy shortly after they dominated worldwide volleyball, and only recently they have developed a strong group of local players and have pretty great potential (top3 alongside Poland and Russia IMHO). And it may be a case with Brazil as well, cause I remember the talk about your 'institutional' problems. Italy has hired Velasco as a director of their youth program etc. so they made some legit institutional changes in reaction to this crisis some time ago.

I think that golden generation still has a lot of fuel to burn, so you shall be fine for like ~10 years. But it's honestly really incredible to see the depth you guys have in almost every position. Brazil used to be the team that could beat anyone using only the reserve players, but now that's shifted completely to the 3 you mentioned.

But yeah, Brazil is without a doubt entering this period of crisis. Perhaps we might still achieve something with the oldest players like Bruno, Lucão, Leal and Lucarelli on a good day, but after that the situation is gonna be grim. If managers had the balls to play tournaments with younger or mixed squads and get more players acquainted with this level of play, even if we lost a bunch at the beginning, I could see a good future in the short-term. But like this, with our youth program stuck in early 2000s too? Nah.

• The match importance for VNL/WCH/OG is a joke in this ratio system (I don't remember specific values, but VNL is very close to WCH), and that's simply not true. Obviously, it was made on purpose (to make teams play VNL more seriously), but no matter how harsh was this today's loss for Brazilian fans, it's irrelevant from the season's perspective, yet has made a huge ranking swing.

But it's hard for me to say how it will work in long run, maybe it makes sense. And I'm not complaining since Poland took advantage of that.

It's a fair system. You play bad, you lose points. You play so bad and lose a game to the weakest team in the whole league, you feel lots of pain.

• The rumor is Bruno hurt his finger during training.

that's not even a rumor, there was a pic showing his middle finger completely swolen before the friendlies. knowing that, Renan could've used Cachopa more, but we all know how he works with subs...

• It's a fair system. You play bad, you lose points. You play so bad and lose a game to the weakest team in the whole league, you feel lots of pain.

The problem is that VNL isn't remotely close in importance to what the FIVB point system suggests.

K – the match importance:

• 10.0 – Other annual official events organized by Continental Confederations
    • 17.5 – Confederations' Championship qualifying
    • 20.0 – FIVB Challenger Cup
    • 35.0 – Olympic Games qualifying, FIVB World Cup and Confederations' Championship
    • 40.0 – FIVB Nations League
    • 45.0 – FIVB World Championship
    • 50.0 – Olympic Games

That's why Brazil lost 20 points based on one game, the system suggests that VNL is almost as important as WCH, while in reality it's bs.