Turkey - Misli.com Sultanlar Ligi 2022/2023

• I think last season was really fun. Especially Vakıfbank-Fenerbahçe matchups.

Fenerbahçe pushed Vakıfbank very hard in the final series of Sultanlar Ligi. They were almost champions. They lost the championship 2-0 17-13. After Tugba's poor performance all season, she entered the game and had an incredible impact.

Before that, the kupavolley final was the highest level and most excited game of the last season. Haak showed the best performance of her career for Vakıfbank to win that cup. it was unforgettable.

Also, in Champions league Vakıfbank's winning the golden set after losing the game 3-0 was an unpredictible story.

I mean this matchup showed much more fun games at a higher level than İmoco vs Vakifbank, minas-praia or Imoco vs any Italian team.

we also watched many exciting games from midlevel teams, especially Galatasaray, Sarıyer, Ptt and Kuzeyboru. Their performances were fluctuating during the season, but they made us watch exciting games at different stages of the season.

as always, Eczacıbaşı was messy and usually played boring games but at least they will be stronger next season.

in short, when I look back on last season, I think I watched a lot of good games in the Sultanlar ligi. I mean it's kind of silly to imply that you watch a boring league every season in your prediction after the last season.

• Egonu has dominated club volleyball in recent years with the teams builded around her. She had incredible impacts at crucial moments in every cup she won. If she didn't, her teams wouldn't have been so successful. It was a little silly to say Egonu always chokes at cruical moments. since she sometimes makes silly mistakes, people underestimate her level in crucial moments. in club volleyball, She plays as well as Boskovic and much better than Haak in crucial games.

I will give you recent club example. Both club played good but Vakif lead 2-0. Conegliano won 3rd set and take full control of match, Vakif literally started to panic. 4th set Conegliano started strong again and if they won this set they would win for sure, but at the lead 8-3 Paola Egonu started missing crucial easy balls when they needed to finish them and she give Vakif time to recuperate and match started to be equal again.

• I will give you recent club example. Both club played good but Vakif lead 2-0. Conegliano won 3rd set and take full control of match, Vakif literally started to panic. 4th set Conegliano started strong again and if they won this set they would win for sure, but at the lead 8-3 Paola Egonu started missing crucial easy balls when they needed to finish them and she give Vakif time to recuperate and match started to be equal again.

Paola was the only player on her team to perform well in this match, of course she was going to make some mistakes somewhere. Nobody is literally perfect. you can't criticize Egonu in any way over her performance in this game.

• in short, when I look back on last season, I think I watched a lot of good games in the Sultanlar ligi. I mean it's kind of silly to imply that you watch a boring league every season in your prediction after the last season.

Except, nowhere in my post have I actually said that there weren't exciting games last season, haven't I?

• Last season's highlight for me was Sarıyer belediyesi playing half of their matches with a tiebreaker. I hope we will have another team like them again this season🙏

VakıfBank had a very dominant season and now getting the best opp in the world will make them even better. However I agree that VakıfBank will have a bigger weakness in their team this season although their overall strength increased. Reception line will be exploited a lot, it is chance for Bajema and Nika to improve their reception skills and turn into an allround Outside players.

Fenerbahçe's game was very enjoyable to watch. Especially after Vargas arrived. Arina, Vargas and Eda are such good servers, this team becomes a nightmare to every opponent. I'm curious to watch Aslı there, I'm sure she would contribute more than Popovic or any other 2nd MBs played in Fener in recent years.

Eczacıbaşı seems to have a very solid MB and outside lineup. They have a great Opp too. So on paper, they could do great things but they had in the past even better rosters that made great promise on paper but then they flopped. So I will never count on them.

I don't think THY got weakened. Having best Turkish setter is going to elevate their level drastically. I wish Yaprak would have signed with them instead of Eczacıbaşı, it would have been better deal for both her and THY

There are many interesting mid level teams are formed. So it will be really hard to guess who will be in top 8. My favourite is Kuzeyboru, they have been building very good teams in last couple of years and made surprise wins but at the end didn't manage to get 5th spot. I think this season they have a big chance considering GS was very late with their transfers this season

• Then it final Vakif either sweeps or maybe loses one game. Oh and they also win both cups and Champions League. Book it, pack it in and wrap it tight.

Idk why this seems so secure to you considering it's not even what happened before and other teams got stronger. Yes VB is strong and I think stronger as well but that's on paper, they also kinda have too many names this season like Eczacıbaşı in 16/17 season it can sometimes get messy with rosters like that.

Eczacı just has a very good squad. Sinead Jack-Kısal will be a local player now and there is no real OH issue on paper! Other than that everyone knows I'm paid to hype up Eczacıbaşı's squads no matter what they build.

I also think FB will actually struggle early on in the season unless they manage to work Ana Christina in the roster. When Vargas arrives they will be scary as ever. There are also again interesting mid-tier teams and a few bad teams. Turkish league is objectively one of the best in the world of course we will always be excited to start watching it again 🤷‍♀️ Hoping for VB to be dethroned this time indeed as great as they are

• There are many interesting mid level teams are formed. So it will be really hard to guess who will be in top 8. My favourite is Kuzeyboru, they have been building very good teams in last couple of years and made surprise wins but at the end didn't manage to get 5th spot. I think this season they have a big chance considering GS was very late with their transfers this season

What if PTT manage to make Sara Caric healthy, will Ankara finally have semi finalist? 8)

• Vakıfbank, if it is about firepower, it will get stronger, but it will weaken at reception because Bajema and Nika are not masters of reception, but they can succeed in this element.

1👇

Egonu-Özbay

Gabi-Nika

Zehra-Kübra

Ayça

2👇

Buket-Aleksia

Kara-Derya

Chiaka-Bahar

Aylin

Eczacıbaşı has a really nice squad and the second six looks solid too:

1👇

Boskovic-Ognjenovic

Sinead-Beyza

Voronkova-Hande

Simge

2👇

Fabris-Elif

Laura-Yasemin

Saliha-Yaprak

Zeynep

FB is an offensive team but their roster makes them a very unpleasant opponent and they are one of the best serving and blocking teams.

1👇

Macris-Lazareva/Vargas

Aslı-Eda

Arina-Meliha

Gizem

2👇

Buse-Meryem

Beliz-Ergül

Ana Cristina-İpar

Cansu

THY:

1👇

Kiera-Naz

Emily-Bahar

Şeyma-Hanna

Buse

2👇

Polen-Çağla

Zeynep-Dicle

Ada-Madison

Melis

I don't know exactly what the Galatasaray line-up will have, but looking at the top teams, Vakıfbank and Eczacıbaşı look best, their benches look very good and the second six of FB is a little unknown to me but they can also beat anyone.

THY may be an uncomfortable opponent but they don't have an impressive line-up, in my opinion they are weaker than last season.

I am very curious about PTT:

Pavlovic-Caric

Busa-Yağmur

Büşra-Janset (?)

Sema

Medium bands have some pretty interesting line-ups

• Nilüfer, Çukurova, Sarıyer, Kuzeyboru and PTT have very competent squads this time around I think, I'm curious to see how far these teams can go. Besides the regular 5: VB, FB, EczV, THY and GS (they still need an Opp tho)

• What?????? Seyma will not be a starter. This is just crazy. The only reason who make the coach to start with her in the previous season was the rule of the 3 foreign. She completly useless in the attack and Kingdon despete of her unstable season last year she can be a really dangerous player if she will play like the 2020-2021 season ( she was really great then). Also if she is not so good, again she will be the starter because Seyma is like a libero and they despretly needs good attackers specially if you thing that they lost Asli . Maglio can not be so good in the attack against the big teams

• Idk why this seems so secure to you considering it's not even what happened before and other teams got stronger. Yes VB is strong and I think stronger as well but that's on paper, they also kinda have too many names this season like Eczacıbaşı in 16/17 season it can sometimes get messy with rosters like that.

Quite a few things. First, unlike Eczacimessy, Vakifbank has a recent tradition and continuity of success, as well as a steady core of 2 of top 5 best domestic players. Also a proven long-standing coach who always brings success at club level. Then, may I remind people that Novara won CL in 2019 despite being at best debatable whether they were better on paper than either Conegliano or Vakifbank that year. Why? They had Egonu, and that was Egonu from 3 years ago. She is a better player now. Let Vakif and Novara exchange Egonu and Sloetjes (who was then still a world-class player, even if one on obvious decline) at the beggining of 2018-2019 season, and suddenly Novara is 3rd or 4th best club in Europe.

Also, it is being brought up that there were exciting matches last season as argument that this season might not be a foregone conclusion. I grant that there were such matches (both at top level and among mid-level teams). But what was the result, when it was all said and done? Vakif won all the competitions it played. It's not really important how close were the 2 international club compeitions, they nevertheless won them. And now it seems a pretty common consensus that they are even stronger, and they have the best club volleyball player in the world.

I really don't intend to be a killjoy, but it's frankly impossible for me to pretend that this season isn't pretty much a foregone conclusion. Trust me, I really wish I am wrong, and would be more than happy to eat humble pie if that proves to be the case, but for now... I'll just enjoy other people's enthusiasm.

• What if PTT manage to make Sara Caric healthy, will Ankara finally have semi finalist? 8)

No way, even previous line-up could not finish at top 4

Except Galatasaray (still maybe if they could find good OPP, otherwise they will also), PTT has lost their power unlike the other medium teams like Kuzeyboru, Sarıyer, Aydın. Furthermore, they might finish up out of top 8, though.

Pavlovic-Caric

Busa-Yağmur

Büşra-Janset (?)

Sema

Previous season's starters are

Sıla-Dimitrova

Campos-Rousseaux/Merve

Bahar-İlayda/Ceren Nur

Simay

Obviously there is a huge drop in PTT roster. I will not be surprised if they will not participate the 5-8 play-offs.

• What if PTT manage to make Sara Caric healthy, will Ankara finally have semi finalist? 8)

I don't think so, their team is way weaker than last season. They lost their best players, I don't know how much of a difference Caric can make. Busa will need to play very scorer this season

• Any rumors of a Chinese player in Turkey? Tianjin's GM said they have a player joining.

What teams would still have the space and money to hire LYY? Unless the club hired another player of Tianjin then it wouldn't be as interesting.

• Any rumors of a Chinese player in Turkey? Tianjin's GM said they have a player joining.

What teams would still have the space and money to hire LYY? Unless the club hired another player of Tianjin then it wouldn't be as interesting.

Galatasaray maybe?

They said a player will be playing in Turkey?

Edit: they will join after Chinese league ended?

• Galatasaray maybe?

They said a player will be playing in Turkey?

Supposedly, that's what we're trying to figure out it if she's being legit or not. She was vague and didn't go into details.

Is it for the 2022/2023 season or future?

Will it be in the beginning of this season or join after the Chinese league ends?

Will it be LYY (fingers crossed) or some other Tianjin player?

Or was it all a lie and am I wasting my time getting excited? lol

• I don't think so, their team is way weaker than last season. They lost their best players, I don't know how much of a difference Caric can make. Busa will need to play very scorer this season

Healthy Caric can make a big difference. But sadly for now, she struggle to connect 10 games in a row. But she is still young, we all hope she will pass this chapter eventually.

• GS would have a really strong squad if LYY makes her way there, I really hope it works out. They have good local players and Anthi. Only thing is didn't people say Anthi didn't want to play as Opp... Hopefully they don't have to wait until Chinese league ends because that wouldn't be very useful for GS, it's not like they play Champions league...

• GS would have a really strong squad if LYY makes her way there, I really hope it works out. They have good local players and Anthi. Only thing is didn't people say Anthi didn't want to play as Opp... Hopefully they don't have to wait until Chinese league ends because that wouldn't be very useful for GS, it's not like they play Champions league...

LYY is a lefty, has she ever played as opp?