Polish Men's NT 2022

• Calls from Grbić:

setters: Jan Firlej, Marcin Janusz, Łukasz Kozub, Grzegorz Łomacz

Ohs: Bartosz Bednorz, Tomasz Fornal, Bartosz Kwolek, Wilfredo Leon, Bartłomiej Lipiński, Piotr Orczyk, Kamil Semeniuk, Jakub Szymański, Rafał Szymura, Aleksander Śliwka

Mbs: Mateusz Bieniek, Norbert Huber, Karol Kłos, Jakub Kochanowski, Mateusz Poręba, Krzysztof Rejno, Karol Urbanowicz

Oops: Bartłomiej Bołądź, Karol Butryn, Łukasz Kaczmarek, Bartosz Kurek, Maciej Muzaj

libero: Jakub Popiwczak, Kamil Szymura, Paweł Zatorski

No Drzyzga nor Wojtaszek.

Edit: Also Nowakowski missing.

• Popiwczak has been better than Wojtaszek in the last few years, glad he finally takes his spot on the travel roster. Wojtaszek is even older than Zatorski, it's logical to move on.

Nowakowski didn't play in Warszawa for a long time but he is back now. Did he deal with injuries? Maybe he asked for rest.

I would like to see Poreba in VNL for a leg while Zaksa boys resting after CL.

I hope Butryn will get a chance while Kaczmarek is out, not Muzaj.

*Just checked the stats, Popiwczak is the best passing libero in the last 2 years. (20/21-21/22)

• Good call-ups, the only surprise I find is Orczyk, but he's like 28-29th player, lol.

Drzyzga isn't better than Janusz or Łomacz (he's in fact worse for quite some time), he's not too promising (he's 32), and first and foremost he's troublesome player character-wise. It's a huge deal in Poland, because he's very disliked, but - well - if Fabio Vullo or Ricardo in their prime were snubbed, then it's not that surprising after all the same happened to Drzyzga.

Nowakowski will be 36 in Paris and this season he's very mediocre (as Warsaw in general), so I don't think this is a rest-based decision, considering that Poland has the biggest depth among MBs in the world. If he can't make it in 2022 level-wise, what are the chances he'll be good enough in 2024?

I wished that Kapica from Cuprum would get a chance in VNL, since I don't think that Bołądź is good enough to be any impactful for our NT like ... ever, but I don't think he'll make the final cut, and with Kurek-Kaczmarek-Butryn-Muzaj (in this order) there's no spot whatsoever, so he'll wait a season or two. I think that Kurek will be no 1, while Kaczmarek theoretically should start training camp as his sub in mind of Grbic, but it's more of an open race considering how has Kaczmarek played so far in NT, and with Kurek being 48yo I'd expect all three of them to get playing time in VNL.

Among OHs, the only surprise is for me Orczyk, he's been a sub this year (although a good one), but again, I don't think he'll make this VNL cut. Szymański has really good season, so good for him to be there, even if he won't make it either. I have no idea how Grbic will figure out rotation considering THIS depth, but that's a whole different discussion.

Popiwczak is in fact really good, and has been past few seasons, so it was quite expected he'll take a spot from Wojtaszek (although he's good, at least stats-wise, this year), Szymura took advantage of the fact that more hyped/players used in the past like Gruszczyński or Piechocki are really bad, but there's amazing Granieczny from '05 generation, so the competition is and will be real.

• According to his own instagram post, Nowakowski retired from NT

He says in his communicate that he held a conversation with Grbic, so I believe that him and Kubiak received an information that they're not in plans of Grbic, and then informed that they're retiring from NT, because both after ECH didn't retire, so I suspect from PR-standpoint it's much better than just being snubbed by Nikola, both are first-tier legends of our volleyball after all.

Nowakowski is such a legend, he was in NT since 2009, so besides silver at 2006 WCH, he's been present in every success of our NT, even Kurek wasn't in 2014 roster, while Zatorski played as a starter in NT since 2013. That's really some end of an era.

• I can't with Nowakowski retiring|| He was a monster blocker at ECH

OTOH Zaksa boy Rejno getting the call which I wouldn't mind:)

Also Lipinski from Gdansk is a great great call:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Now Grbic just needs to have the guts and bench Leon and make him a service sub:super:

• Kochanowski stepped on his teammate when blocking and injured his ankle - not too major it looks like.

Resovia is such a curse this year.

(Now can Piotrek come out of retirement please?:obey:)

• Orczyk, Szymański, Rejno and Boładz not in the VNL 25 player list.

• WZP

Changed the title of the thread from “Polish NT 2022” to “Polish Men's NT 2022”.
  • Maybe Bednorz wasnt great in VNL but he should has a chance looking how Śliwka was bad...

About Butryn he isnt as experienced player as Kaczmarek and that was propably the reason, but ofcourse in my opinion he should practice with team instead of Kaczmarek:whistle: lets see if Grbic know what to do...